1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new Panasonic 5 series owner with a question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kidtonio, Jan 5, 2003.

1. kidtonio

kidtonio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the TH42PWD5 two days ago based on the info I gained from reading this forum for the past few months. I managed to hook it up to the DVD player through component and am very happy with the picture. However, I bought a SCART to S-video for my Sky+ box (panasonic) and the picture is only in B&W (same when through the video player, but my import games console works fine through its s-video lead). Is it something to do with 50/60hz? What can I do?

Also, I bought an Ixus silver component lead (3m) for £50 from Systems and wondered if this was a good match or if I need a more expensive one and if there is a better deal on this one - I can take it back.

The final question is whether it should be a priority to upgrade my DVD player to a progressive one - I have a Sony 725 at the moment.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    On an S-Vedeo lead the colour and picture signal are sent on different pins. VCR's are not S-Video compatible unless they are SVHS. I do not know if $ky+ is S-Video compatible, but if it is it will need to be set to output in S-Video. The games consol is obviously S-Video.

There is always a big debate on this forum as to weather an expensive cable makes any difference. As long as the cable is a component (75 Ohm) video cable and not a (50 Ohm) audio cable you should get a very good picture. If you do want to spend more money on a cable then borrow one first to see if you can spot any difference. The chances are that you wont!

I will answer that question with a question.

Are you satisfied/happy with the picture you have from your current DVD?
    If not then upgrade as soon as you can.
    If you are, then why bother?

Mark.

3. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I believe this is because you have not changed the mode on your Sky+ box to RGB, the display should then be in colour.

4. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I think you may have the wrong lead connecting the STB to the Plasma, although I don't own Sky+ so please forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the S-video output a separate connector to the SCART?

You may need the S-video to S-video lead, not the Scart to S-video.

Kind Regards,

James

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Correct.

The Sky+ box has a proper S-Video output so I would certaintly use that rather than the SCART output.

Do remember though that S-Video doesn't carry the audio signal, but hopefully you are using the optical 5.1 output from the Sky+ box connected to an AV amp for that anyway.

Mark

6. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart is just the type of the physical connector and can carry S-Video signals as long as it is fully wired. You just need a simple mechanical adaptor then...

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Surely the thing should work anyway if the stb is set to RGB, and do all sky boxes output s-video? I didn't think so. You will get no picture at all if the output is not RGB I think, so the problem may lie with the lead, or settings on the screen.

8. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Need more details. Sky+ has a normal s-video port and you should use this if you can. SCART to s-video really doesn't mean much [also remember that SCART cables are directional].

If you planed to use Svideo from the SCART socket you probably will have to select S-video out from the SKY+ box through the SCART connector, although I've never seen a Sky+ box that can do this [my DVD player does though].

If you want to connect your SKY box via RGB to an svideo input on the plasma, then you will need an RGB2Svideo convertor, JS sells really good models of these at http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/

Regards,
    Neil.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd assumed a 'proper' converter, RGB to svideo was meant, but reading again, I see the problem. With no signal to one of the s-video pins you get a B/W image, just like the VHS which obviously can't manage to connect the right ones. However, you'd get a better signal with the JS rgb to vga converter, unless the s-video thing is for convenience switching sources via your AV amp. In which case, a thread a few days ago a guy managed to get s s-video signal, albeit not brilliant, from his VHS with a dongle from maplins, converting composite to low grade s-video, which would get everything switched.

10. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I say again, the Sky+ has a native S-Video output, and if you need to use this you should connect via the S-Video DIN. I don't beleive the Sky+ outputs via S-Video via the Scart.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well then that's why it doesn't work!