Another new HTPC Build(er)

towser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been reading these pages for a while now and am just about to embark on my first HTPC build, I have chosen the following parts from various posts on here and wanted to get the thoughts of all of you as to their suitability to work together.

Antec Black Fusion V2 MATX MediaCenter Case - Aluminium Front Bezel with 430W PSU
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G Socket AM2+ onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard
Scythe Mini Ninja Socket 478/775/754/939/940/AM2 Heatpipe Cooler
Sony NEC Optiarc BC-5500A - Disk drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM - IDE - internal - 5.25"
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium w/SP1 - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English
Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-HD-S2 - DVB-S2 receiver - PCI
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ - Hard drive - 1 TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 32 MB
Processor - 1 x AMD Athlon X2 4850e / 2.5 GHz Energy Efficient - Socket AM2 - L2 1 MB ( 2 x 512 KB ) - Box
Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-18) DHX Technology Heat Sink Lifetime Warranty

Apart from a wireless card, is there anything else I will need?

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice/ support etc.

Ron

Similar to the one I'm spec'ing up.

Have a look at the Sharkoon Golf Ball fans to replace the stock Antec and Minja ones :

1 x 8cm can lower the Minja to 9dba

2 x 12cm can lower the Antec to 19dba

Whisper quiet and cool for an additional £15 (Scan have them)

Chris

Similar to the one I'm spec'ing up.
1 x 8cm can lower the Minja to 9dba

2 x 12cm can lower the Antec to 19dba

Yes to the 80mm Golf ball on Ninja - can't hear it compared to stock AMD heatsink/fan which was causing the noise in my HTPC.

I fitted a 120mm golf ball to replace the Antec supplied case fans and I couldn't tell the difference - so I took it out again >> I find that having both the 120mm Antec fans on low setting is more than adequate - they exhaust plenty air and with the Ninja fan blowing in their direction anyway they are fine on low.

Can be a matter of personal taste though :D

Antec spits out :

Low 25dBA
Med 28dBA
High 30dBA

The 12cm (1000 model) Golf Ball spits out 19dBA and costs 7 quid +p&p each

So yeah, if you're on low setting it is just a matter of taste whether you can hear the difference.

I'm def replacing the Minja one though :D

Chris

thanks for the suggestions, I will order the replacment fans too :)

Apart from the fans then, everything else seems ok to you guys?

Thanks again

Ron

Nice looking simple spec.

For info, i turned off the fans in my Fusion and just run the CPU off stock cooler...... all fine here!! :smashin:

The SKY-HD box makes more noise anyway!!!

Hope this helps?

Right then, most of the parts have arrived, I am making a change to the spec as when the Sony dvd drive arrived it is a laptop drive and IDE connection, I have arranged to return this and swap it for a Pioneer BDR-202, so my updated spec is now

Antec Black Fusion V2 MATX MediaCenter Case - Aluminium Front Bezel with 430W PSU
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G Socket AM2+ onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard
Scythe Mini Ninja Socket 478/775/754/939/940/AM2 Heatpipe Cooler
Netgear WG311T 108 Mbps Super G Wireless PCI Adapter
Pioneer BDR-202 - Disk drive - BD-RE - 4x2x2x - Serial ATA - internal - 5.25" – black
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium w/SP1 - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English
Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-HD-S2 - DVB-S2 receiver - PCI
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ - Hard drive - 1 TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 32 MB
Processor - 1 x AMD Athlon X2 4850e / 2.5 GHz Energy Efficient - Socket AM2 - L2 1 MB ( 2 x 512 KB ) - Box
Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-18) DHX Technology Heat Sink Lifetime Warranty

I have also ordered 2 120mm and 1 80mm golf ball fans to replace the ones supplied with the case and ninja.

Is there anything else I might need?

Thanks again for all the advice, I need it ;-)

Ron

Control : How are you planning on using the system - keyboard&mouse, MCE remote, etc ?

WLAN : Have you considered a USB alternative (there are four rear USB slots, saves using a PCI)

Chris

Control : How are you planning on using the system - keyboard&mouse, MCE remote, etc ?

WLAN : Have you considered a USB alternative (there are four rear USB slots, saves using a PCI)

Chris

Completley agree with regard the wireless card. As you are getting the Nova DVB card you'll have no expansion left if you throw the PCI wireless card in there too.

I hope the wireless connection is for browsing and bit of downloading only? Because you're on a hiding to virtually nothing trying to stream HD files over wireless.

Why have you chose 64bit Vista? I know you've gone for 4gb, so maybe you want to make use of that? But there are reported codec/playback issues with 64bit Vista, whereas 32bit is fine!! (do a search on here!)

Hope this helps?

I went for the 64bit version after doing a bit of searching around on here and it seems 64bit will be more future proof, unless I have misunderstood other views etc.

I am getting the KeySonic 2.4Ghz Wireless Compact Keyboard with Integrated TouchPad for my Birthday and just forgot to add it on to the list as it is a suprise and I don't know about it yet :smashin:

Yes the wireless is just for browsing, emails etc, I wasn't expecting to stream hd content across the wireless network.

To be honest, I hadn't thought about using a usb adapter for wireless, I was thinking when I ordered the card that it would leave me with no empty slots, so, I might fit the ordered card to my sons pc and use his USB wireless adaptor instead:D

Thanks again

Ron

I am getting the KeySonic 2.4Ghz Wireless Compact Keyboard with Integrated TouchPad for my Birthday and just forgot to add it on to the list as it is a suprise and I don't know about it yet :smashin:

Cool, and happy birthday for soon :thumbsup:

To be honest, I hadn't thought about using a usb adapter for wireless, I was thinking when I ordered the card that it would leave me with no empty slots, so, I might fit the ordered card to my sons pc and use his USB wireless adaptor instead:D

I'd do that, the USB at the rear should be sufficient and leaves the inside of the case that little bit clearer for airflow.

Just inspecting my parts and noticed my GA-MA78GM-S2H is a rev 1.0 and not a rev 1.1:( should I be worried or is it ok? if not would I have a case to send it back?

Does anyone know what the differance is anyway?

Thanks again

Ron

Just inspecting my parts and noticed my GA-MA78GM-S2H is a rev 1.0 and not a rev 1.1:( should I be worried or is it ok? if not would I have a case to send it back?

Does anyone know what the differance is anyway?

Thanks again

Ron

The only difference I'm aware of is the 1.1 comes with a better heatsink on the NB as the ver 1.0 gets VERY hot.

I have the Ver 1 and was annoyed that I got it, but I have set up my HTPC and I have just watched Cars and Meed the Incredibles and it played flawlessly.

Don't worry about the diff in revisions :)

Right then, most of the parts have arrived, I am making a change to the spec as when the Sony dvd drive arrived it is a laptop drive and IDE connection, I have arranged to return this and swap it for a Pioneer BDR-202, so my updated spec is now
If you could I would definitely get the LG GGC H20L over the pioneer BDR-202, its a better performing drive (according to reviews I have read on CDfreaks/CDRlabs) it also has HD-DVD playback capabilities too, which can't ever be a hindrance considering the movies are £4 (and soon to be £3 each).

Also if possible buy the Retail boxed LG H20l as it comes with a 2 year warranty (the pioneer and LG OEM comes with only one, which when your paying £70-£80 for newly released technology a long warranty is very useful).

You also get some nice free extra's such as Molex to SATA power adaper, SATA cable and others.

Most of my bits have arrived, just waiting for the HDD now then I can begin the build :)

I was just looking for a remote control and found this one http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=770349 has anyone here used it and if so is it ok or is there a better one around?

Thanks again

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look at it :)

OK, I purchased that remote, ebuyer gave me free express delivery as a birthday present :D so a real bargain, it arrived this morning, only need my HDD to arrive now and I have all the parts:)

Well I started the build last night, first thing was to change the stock case fans for the golf ball's, what a fiddle that was with those little rubber mounts, still I got there in the end :)

Then I found that with the mini Ninja the Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 will not fit in slots 1 and 2 so I have used 3 and 4, hope this won't cause me problems furthur down the line!

Then I fitted the Ninja and like others found the mounting bracket rather tight, but found that fitting it to the board whilst still out of the case worked a treat, still tight, but got there in the end with no damage to any components:) again I didn't fit the stock fan that came with the Ninja, I fitted another golf ball fan, had to raise it up slightly so as to miss the mounting clips that fix the Ninja to the MB.

The Pioneer BDR-202 was a cinch to fit as the drive bay just lifts out, 8 screws later and it was back in, fitted and connected up.

That was it for a bit as I am still waiting for my HDD to arrive so couldn't fit that for obvious reasons, all being well I will carry on tomorrow.

Dont forget the pics...:smashin:

Dont forget the pics...:smashin:

Photos will be coming soon:thumbsup: I did mean to take some of all the components in their box's, but the excitement got the better of me and I forgot:(

I will be taking some photos tomorrow though:D

Here are a few photos of work in progress, note, I took these after the build was started hence the reason the fans in the Sharkoon packaging are those I removed from the case and Ninja.

Still some parts to add, then I will tidy up the cables.

the-packaging.jpg

inside-overall.jpg

ninja-fans.jpg

ninja-and-fans-close-up.jpg

ddr-2-and-ninja.jpg

So, last night I fitted the HDD, checked all the connections and plugged it in…

It worked!

The bios screen came up and it went through various checks etc, then the “cannot boot from HDD” showed up, which wasn’t unexpected as I hadn’t yet installed it (the operating system that is, not the HDD)!

I then inserted my brand new shiney copy of Vista and restarted the machine, following the bios checks it asked me where I wanted to install the operating system so I told it, I then answered a few questions to let it know where in the world I was, what keyboard config I wanted etc and after what seemed like an eternity the Vista welcome screen appeared.

I then loaded the mobo drivers, followed by the case drivers and my lcd screen sprung into action for the first time :thumbsup:

Once it had restarted I shut it down again and fitted the TV card, restarted, loaded the drivers and I was away once more, I then shut down for the last time on this session, fitted the wireless card (I am temporarily using a pci card untill I have everything how I want it as I need internet access and my USB wireless adaptor hasn’t arrived yet) re-started and it found vistas own drivers for the wireless card, I then put in my network key and low and behold I was surfing the net :clap:

The next thing to do was download all the windows updates, whilst this was doing what it had to do, I noticed the screen was scrolling through the latest news headlines a feature I was not expecting.

Once all the updates had finished, I decided to shut down for the evening and have a well earned rest and a nice cold beer whilst feeling quite pleased with myself for getting it up and running. I know the hard work is still to come, deciding on and installing the software and codecs I will need, but, hey ho, one job at a time…

Towser,

I've just ordered all the components for my HTPC build, very similar spec to yours (same motherboard and processor I think).

A question I wanted to ask was - when you were installing the O/S and before you installed the motherboard drivers, where you using your HDTV as the display, or a traditional PC monitor ( and connect the TV up after you installed the motherboard drivers)?

I get all the bits delivered on Tuesday so I'll be busy in the evening! I'll let you know how I get on with my build.

Regards,

Gavin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom