Another new home setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by JimM, Feb 20, 2014.

1. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi guys

Hopefully going to be moving soon and already thinking about how I'm going to cable up the new house.

My main priority will be to be able to watch either my Sky or Vu+ sat box in any of 4 rooms and from what I've read the recommended solution would be to have a central media point with cat6 cabling radiating from here. At the central point a 4x4 HDMI matrix will take care of distributing the signal.

Think I understand it in principle but got a few questions though :)

1. I'll probably have 4 runs of cat6 and 1 of coax to each room - should I use shielded cable or will unshielded suffice.

2. I understand that cat6 shouldn't run parallel to power cables, how far apart do they have to be to negate this issue

3.How do you select what input signal is sent to which room. Is it by hard buttons on the matrix or by remote control. If the latter does this mean you need a suitable remote in each room

4.I also have a PS3, if this was at the central point I could presumably send this signal to each TV as well. Does anyone know how well the controllers work (if at all) when used in different rooms to the console

I'm sure I'll have more questions but that will get me started.

Cheers

Jim

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hi

I wouldn't worry too much about shielded for domestic use. 2ft as a minimum separation or in segregated containment.

Most matrixes come with their own remotes that change source input but the IR commands can be learnt by universal remotes.

The range of the PS3 controller seems a matter of debate and is going to depend on your particular house, though certainly possible.

For HDMI Over Cat6 don't go via patch panels or wall plats but direct from the matrix to the receiver if at all possible.

We supply a couple of HDBaseT matrixes for just this scenario HDMI Over HDBaseT (Single Cat5/6 Cable) Matrix Systems

I would definitely recommend HDBaseT as supports all 3D, 4K2K , and longer distances.