Another Motherboard Question

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Sarah Nya, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a decent MB that supports Core Duo 2 and is compatible with nVidia cards, I'm planning on getting a 7900GT but an awful lot seem to support Crossfire...

Unless you can recommend a decent ATI card...quiet

2. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I think I better rephrase this one.

I would like to get the following motherboard but just wanted to make sure it's SLI compatible, although for the time being I will be using just one card (probably 7900GT) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Intel.html It's the 2nd one down.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

3. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Its an intel chipset, so its not offically supported for SLI.

There are rumours going round that Nvidia are going to liscence SLI for intel chipsets because of the AMD/ATI meger, but I don't think there's anything concrete yet.

However, you can get hacked drivers, which enable SLI on non supported chipsets. Although I'd expect these to be a little late with driver updates etc, and they are not supported by nvidia.

The Nvidia 570 SLI / 590 boards are due out sometime during this month aswell though, which obviously nativally support SLI without any hacked drivers.

4. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay thanks thats rather pants though (I've always used AMD up till now so I didn't know about this!). If I did go with ATI whats a good card thats pretty much the same price/performance wise as 7900GT 512?

5. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be okay if I were to run just the one card wouldn't I?

6. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    yep. There are no problems running one Nvidia card in a Intel or ATI chipset motherboard (or one ATI card in a Nvidia board).

I'm don't really know much about ATI cards, btw, so I can't really help you if you want to go that route.

7. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I don't want to I was just concerned as it didn't state that it was okay with nVidias cards. I'm a happy bunny now though as I can stick to the original card I picked out.