Another misty sunrise!

lightpainter

Perhaps you lads and lasses can give me some advice, as you can see this shot was uploaded to Flickr at 800 along the longest edge, I noticed that Ally Mac uploads at 950 x 674 which is a good size for the Flickr page but is little to big for the AV Forum page IMHO.

What is the best size this site?

C&C welcome as always!

philaitman

Wow I like the atmosphere on this one.

Sorry can't help on the size I ten to upload to flickr at 1000 or 1200 and take a risk with the medium size on here ;)

lightpainter

I do 1024 x 768 ;)

Yes Pixel I have tried that size as well but it’s certainly to big to show on these pages, and the alternative size to show is only 500 x 768 and as most people can’t be bothered to click back to your Flickr, 800 to me seems the optimum size for showing!

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
It is a lovely shot, geat atmosphere and really nicely exposed. I'd probably clone out the 'bent' vapour trail as it spoils the leading lines of the rest of them. I think this would make a great shot even better. As for Flickr, I upload at full size but doin't let my contacts see them at that size. I embed on here at the medium image size.

cedmondson

Very nice indeed. I like the way the con trails & the fence all lead towards the same point.....albeit hidden in the mist. Nice colurs too.

allymac123

Beautifull scene. Perhaps lacking a central point of interest but lovely nevertheless.

The 'best' size for this forum depends on what resolution screen you have.

A poll was ran about a year ago and no-one that answered had a screen less than 1024px wide.

800px wide is the smallest size I like to see and I don't think you'll get any complaints from anyone.

I often think the flickr "medium" size is too small to properly appreciate a photo. I choose 950px horizontally as I fine it can help give more impact and if you are using a 1024px monitor (like me untill I get back to my 2nd monitor at uni) then you don't have to scroll to see the whole picture or read comments. Although you do have to scroll if you want to see the poster's name. For that reason I would suggest that about 840px would be the widest size totally suitable for a 1024px monitor.

I presume that most people normally use a slightly higher resolution screen for their photo-editing though so although I cater for the 1024 user's mine are best viewed on 1200 or larger screens.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I agree that larger images are nicer to view on the forum page. However, to get larger sizes 800-950 pixel images under the 200KB limit, it often means a little to much compressuion for my tastes. I tend to post 500 pixel versions to keep under the limit, but link back to flickr so if you want to see a larger version - you can. It also generates a bit iof traffic; which is nice. :smashin:

BTW - this is a great shot. I agree with ally about the lack of focal point, but I think you get away with it. The colour is interesting, if a little over saturated for my tastes.

allymac123

I agree that larger images are nicer to view on the forum page. However, to get larger sizes 800-950 pixel images under the 200KB limit, it often means a little to much compressuion for my tastes.

Your now allowed upto (but not at all over) 300kb

lightpainter

Taken on board you C&C, thanks for bothering Lads, toned it down a bit, straightened contrails and resized to 840.

Hope this is better for you!

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Really like this, the sky compliments the picture really well I like the shooting lines from the clouds, a great photo IMO

senu

Distinguished Member
A really nice shot and one which would enhance any home now that you have altered it. :thumbsup:
Totally Agree there
Also restate that you can always link back to your flickr for bigger versions and generate more views;)

V

vulkan75

Beautiful shot.

Id combine the foreground of the second with the sky of the first,less the bent contrail.

very nice work:smashin:

bodoman

Distinguished Member
Very nice photo Lp, must say i prefer your second version that has been toned down, it looks more real to me.:smashin:

Interesting that the first one seems influenced by a Thomas Kinkade type painting, and given your name on here is "Lighpainter" and he is known as the "the painter of light" makes me wonder if you are indeeed influenced by him:)

alfienoakes

Looks terrific. I agree with Vulkan about combining the 2 images. I wouldn't really know where to start with that as the mist means there's no distinct line between the two.

lightpainter

Beautiful shot.

Id combine the foreground of the second with the sky of the first,less the bent contrail.

very nice work:smashin:

Hello again Lad & Lasses, just got back to my own computer, been away for a few day.
Taken your suggestion Vulkan, blended the two as you suggested, funny it's what my wife suggested also, always had a better eye for art than me!

‘Bodo', funny that you pointed out the artist Thomas Kinkade and (Lightpainter). I've never heard of him. But when a friend and I got our first 35mm cameras back in the late 1950's we used to joke about not so much taking photos' but “painting with light”, and the name stuck!

Holowlegs

Hi ya

Very nice indeed, the last version works very well:thumbsup:

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom