Another LOTR DVD query!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Evening Folks,

I have another LOTR DVD query, and would appreciate some advice.

I am intending to purchase the LOTR Extended 4-disc DVD set when it comes out later in the year. I'm not overly fussed whether I get the R1 or R2 version, but I do want the one that includes the National Geographic LOTR DVD with it as well. I know awhile back there was some concern over which regions would have the 5th disc, and I don't think we ever got to a conclusion.

As such, which of the various Deluxe DVD editions should I go for? Will the R1 version have nicer looking packaging compared to the Region 2 one, or ??? (I'm not bothered about the versions with Bookends, though.)

Any help, would be gratefully appreciated.

Pooch

Lex or someone, is Snowmans reply okay on these forums?

I would have thought PoochJD's question was a perfectly valid one since it has been posted on the DVD forum of a AV forum site!

I'm not going to let myself get annoyed.... keep calm... *pop some heads daz*... noooooo! Get out of my head! GET OUT!!! ARGH!!! Oh god, they're leaking!!!! *that's right! Ignore him, he's a violent focker him!* SHUT UP!!! Not again..... I'm the daybreaker, must maintain my psyche!! *imagine his eyeballs popping out his head as you squeeze ever tighter!!* Nooooooooo!!

Ahem.

Anyway, Lex or any mods, can you clarify things for me please?

ta,

def

The Region Two version will almost definitely NOT have the national geographic documentary due to copyright problems.

Thus, I would recommend the Region One version (which is the one I am buying). It will no doubt have better packaging and menus than the region two version anyway. :)

R1 version with bookends is the only one that features the National Geographic documentary, as far as I'm aware.

And of course, no mantlepeice would be complete without these lavishly tooled polystyrene relpicas of the "pillars of the Argonath".

Buy and enjoy.

R2 4 disk set without bookends for me as I will for the near future only have a Widescreen or rear projection TV.

What about the R4 version - will that have the fifth disc ?? As this is a PAL region that might be the version to go for (although the menus, packaging, etc) may be inferior to the R1 version).

Hi,

Thanks folks! And to Lex especially.

Looks like it's another Region 1 jobbie, then! :D

Oh, and with regards to the National Geographic documentary, I've seen it available in several UK stores, on DVD and VHS, for about £14-99. It runs for about 50 minutes, and can be easily bought from MV, Virgin, WH Smiths, etc, etc. Or is this a different one, to the one that will be included with the R1 DVD set?!

Pooch

I think I read the version of the Nat Geog documentary that's being packaged with LOTR will be different. I'd imagine they'll probably just re-edit the existing doc

Originally posted by PoochJD
Oh, and with regards to the National Geographic documentary, I've seen it available in several UK stores, on DVD and VHS, for about £14-99. It runs for about 50 minutes, and can be easily bought from MV, Virgin, WH Smiths, etc, etc. Or is this a different one, to the one that will be included with the R1 DVD set?!

Yes as Rambo has said the version of the 'nat geo' documentray released withe the region one DVD is advertised as being all new and never before seen - I don't know exactly what that means, or whether that makes it worth buying? :)

Four months seems like such a long way off now doesn't it?! :( :eek: :rolleyes: I want it now!!! :D

Then buy the theatrical version. It'll keep you going for a while till the extended version. £16.99, C'mon, it's only money...........

Hi,

Thanks again, peeps, for your help. Just one more question, and then I'll leave you all in peace...

Will the Extras on the 4-DVD UK version contain ALL of the Extras on the current UK 2-DVD version, or will ALL the extras be brand new, and completely different?

The reason I ask is probably obvious, but if they are to be different, then I will buy the 2-DVD version, as well as the 4-DVD version, just to get all the extras and the different edits of the movie.

What's the R1 two-DVD edition like? And are there any differences between it and the R2 version?

Thanks.

Pooch

The extras on the 4 disc version are all-new and produced especially it. The 2 disc version used existing TV/web programmes along with itspreviews for the 4 disc set and The Two Towers

Hi,

Cheers Rambo. Looks like I'll have to get both the 2-disc and the 4-disc (plus National Geographic extra disc) versions in that case.

Thanks to everyone for their help and guidance! Much appreciated! :)

Pooch

Guys,

Is the extended footage on the 4-disk version available as "deleted scenes" on the 2-disk version? Or is it totally exclusive to the 4-disk version?

Also, anyone know if the break (when you need to change disks) in the 4-disk version is in a sensible place? (haven't seen the movie so please don't give any of the plot away :))

Cheers :D

SG,

They are not deleted scenes on the current release. The extended cut is ONLY available on the 4-disc set.

Don't know about the disc change though. Guess we'll have to wait and see unles someone gets a review copy first.

I wont spoil the plot but its all about a gold ring !!!. ;)

Originally posted by billduff
They are not deleted scenes on the current release. The extended cut is ONLY available on the 4-disc set.
Thank you :) I suspected as much looking at the disc specs but wanted to be sure :)
Don't know about the disc change though. Guess we'll have to wait and see unles someone gets a review copy first.
Yeah... I'm not too happy about the need to change disks, but I'm okay with it if it's in a good (i.e. "natural") place. Fingers crossed :)
I wont spoil the plot but its all about a gold ring !!!. ;)
:D

I've just been reading on another forum that the 4-disk edition is not a director's cut - merely an extended version. Apparently the true director's cut is the theatrical version, i.e. the 2-disk edition, as this was exactly the version that Peter Jackson wanted to show to audiences. From what I've read, this fact is made clear on the 2-disk edition. Explains why there are no deleted scenes as such :)

So now I'm not so sure about getting the 4-disk version - I might find it unnecessarily long, especially as I'm not a huge LOTR anorak freak (for want of a better term). Hhhhmmmmm.... decisions, decisions!! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Squirrel God
I've just been reading on another forum that the 4-disk edition is not a director's cut - merely an extended version. Apparently the true director's cut is the theatrical version... So now I'm not so sure about getting the 4-disk version... I might find it unnecessarily long...

SG,

I think you are over-analysing all this! :D You would buy it if it was called a Director's Cut, but you wont buy it if it is called an extended edition!
I think you are overlooking THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in all this... the packaging! :D - 5 disk set is definitely the one to go for!!! :D :rolleyes: :blush:

Originally posted by Lex
I think you are over-analysing all this! :D You would buy it if it was called a Director's Cut, but you wont buy it if it is called an extended edition!
:D

In all seriousness, the thing is that this is an extended edition that is really shot in order to give a bit extra to the hardcore fans. As I'm not a hardcore fan, I am wondering if I will appreciate it. If there was no disk change halfway through I'd probably not give it a second thought in all honesty. Damn that disk change is ****ing me off :mad:

Originally posted by Lex
I think you are overlooking THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in all this... the packaging! :D - 5 disk set is definitely the one to go for!!! :D :rolleyes: :blush:
5 disks?????????? :eek: What version is that??????????? The "watch LOTR for the rest of your life" cut??????????? :eek:

I haven't seen a 5 disk set advertised - what region????? where?????? who??????? :eek:

The region 1 version with the bookends gets an extra DVD - The National Geographic disc about making the film.

SG, you really need to just flip a coin over all this, as to be honest, I think you'll be pleased as punch whichever version you end up buying.
Considering PJ's first cut of FOTR was about 5 hours long, I'd imagine the theatrical version was about as slimmed down as he was prepared to go with it.

The extended cut includes scenes that give more detail to thing that take importance in the next couple of films (The Fellowships gifts from the Elves for example) and a bit more of the relationships between some of the characters.

Like you said might be a bit anorak-y but you go for the 2-disc set just now and then get the 12-disc super-trilogy edition when it comes out (as it's bound to in 2004 !!).

If you havn't seen the film yet, hire it now and get the 4-disc if you liked it.

I am sadder, I have the 2-disc and will be getting the 5-disc in November. To be honest I dont think 3.5 hours will be to bum-numbing for this film.

Hi,

Billduff is correct. Three-and-a-half hours is nothing. I've sat through the 230 minute Director's Extended Edition of "Dances With Wolves" at the cinema, and even that wasn't long enough for me! :) I just wanted the story to keep going!

I've also sat through the entire "Three Colours Trilogy" at a cinema, which runs to about 4 hours 45 minutes approx!

And just in case anyone's worried, no, I'm not a huge fan of Kevin Costner. I just liked that film, and some of his earlier stuff. Most of his really recent works - past 5 years approx - have been awful!

Pooch

If a films good, I am oblivious of the running time (until my bladder or sphincter, remind me).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom