Another Loft Installation

Stevieboy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Northern Monkeys great thread (and with a bit of encouragement from my wife) I set out in November to have a go at something similar and post a couple of before and after Pics. Obviously not like some of the other great installs on here, been done on a bit of a tight budget but very pleased with the end result.

Kit used for those interested as follows:

Denon AVR-1909 (bought an AVR-1911 but used that in the lounge as I prefer my older older amp with the new speakers)
Sony BDP-S373 Blu-Ray Player
Q Acoustics 2000 series speakers
Optoma HD20 Projector (can't believe the picture for the price!!)
XBox 360
PS3
84" Screen

Any comments (or suggestions) welcome :)

Last edited:
Nice room/setup you have there but the screen looks like its running down one side apart from that its looking good :smashin:

Thats really nice mate, makes me want to have a go at my loft space which is already converted to a bedroom at moment but thats really good!!:smashin:

Thanks. Not sure what you mean by "running down"? Could be the photo, should have used a tripod (unless you mean that the floor is slightly lower at one end by a couple of cms in which case you are right, thats 1930's building for you!!).

Can't really see it when you are watching it.

Last edited:
Thanks. Not sure what you mean by "running down"? Could be the photo, should have used a tripod (unless you mean that the floor is slightly lower at one end by a couple of cms in which case you are right, thats 1930's building for you!!).

Can't really see it when you are watching it.

Im not sure if its the pic or not tbh but the left and right speaker also look to have different gaps from the ouside wall too but as i say is a great setup :smashin:

Thanks for the comments.

I have used a higher quality undelay that has better accoustic deadening properties (46db) but in the walls and ceiling I have used just standard 75mm Kingspan insulation boards.

To be honest the sound level through the floor is pretty good (I went round to check with the neighbour and she said she can't hear it).

Obviously if I cranked the amp right up it might be a different story. :)

Just happened to log on here as I'm after a picture of mine; searched 'loft' in the title and noticed this thread!

Good luck fella!

My loft is a bedroom, now; I've converted the cellar into a cinema - I'll post the pics at some point.

Can't see your photos though; not sure if it's my computer playing up...

Just happened to log on here as I'm after a picture of mine; searched 'loft' in the title and noticed this thread!

Good luck fella!

My loft is a bedroom, now; I've converted the cellar into a cinema - I'll post the pics at some point.

Can't see your photos though; not sure if it's my computer playing up...

Don't think it is your computer, I think it is due to the way I have embedded the images (I can't see them at work). I will have to try another method.

If the cellar is anything like your loft project I am sure it will be 1st class.:smashin:

Last edited:
Hi whats your room dimensions i'm planning one like this

The finished room is 5m x 3m with a height of around 2.03m (6' 8" in old money). I am only 5'10" so plenty of room for me!!

ok thanks mine would be 4m x 2.1m is that not to small

Not sure, I suppose it all depends on how much you want to fit in to it.

If it only for two or three of you (like mine although we have had six people in comfortabley) I am sure it would be fine.

The frustration for me was that I could only get a 84" screen in due to the fall of the roof.

Don't think it is your computer, I think it is due to the way I have embedded the images (I can't see them at work). I will have to try another method.

If the cellar is anything like your loft project I am sure it will be 1st class.:smashin:

Really happy with my setup down there.

I was converting it to be a big boys play room but then she got preggers so I fancied an extra bedroom.

Scrapped the pool room idea and chucked the cinema down there.

I've got a little lad now though, so it's a cinema come little boys play room. :mad:

Really glad I converted the loft now though; it's become a really useful space and was well worth the effort. Also now there's a little un I wouldn't fancy taking on such a time consuming and messy job.

Good luck with yours!

Sweet setup!

Mate that looks fantastic, I have always wanted to convert the loft but it always comes out too pricey, did you need building regs and all that or was it just a case of do it, I'm not planning to move anytime soon? ;)

Love the set up, nice and clean and tidy, I really need a projector now that has to be next on my list (just need the loft convo to put it in)

Did you put stairs in or are you still using the hatch for access?

Again, lovely job, extremely envious!! :smashin:

Cheers

Steve (CD)

Mate that looks fantastic, I have always wanted to convert the loft but it always comes out too pricey, did you need building regs and all that or was it just a case of do it, I'm not planning to move anytime soon? ;)

Love the set up, nice and clean and tidy, I really need a projector now that has to be next on my list (just need the loft convo to put it in)

Did you put stairs in or are you still using the hatch for access?

Again, lovely job, extremely envious!! :smashin:

Cheers

Steve (CD)

Thanks for the comments.

I had a builder come in to do the necessary floor strengthening and to put in the Velux. I put in a good quality loft hatch and stairs as I did not want to go down the planning route and have fire doors fitted everywhere.

I did all of the cabling/networking/electrics etc myself and had a qualified electrician friend come to test and certify the installation.

Like you I have no plans to move.

Last edited:
Hi, Nice setup - Where did you get the beanbags and seats?

The bean bags were from a company called cozibags and the chairs were from Debenhams (they are sooo comfy).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom