Another job interview...

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Well 2 actually. One I've applied for before and knowing some of the other applicants I'm not overly confident although I'll give it my best shot.

The other one (interviews are a day apart) is for a systems manager post. One of the main responsibilities seems to be managing the department's website.

Job Description said:
This postholder will have a number of key functions including overall management of the maintenance, update, quality assurance and provision of information from the ************ website. The postholder will be required to provide a rolling programme of training/presentations to users of the system.
I don't have any experience in website management or admin, but I have been shortlisted for interview (I think) based on my experience with data management and analysis and general IT dogsbody role.

Any hints regarding website maintenance etc?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
From what it sounds like, its just basically adding data etc to the website to keep it upto date. Not actual maintanance of the site itself (building of the site). Sort of like a blog, just add text and hit publish. Could be way off the mark though

Iccz

As above, though they might want you to do some backups and such of the site data, if it's something like a simple wordpress blog it's a fairly simple process of clicking a few links. But it's really hard to know.

DrWise

Banned
Whatever it is
Good luck to you phil :)

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
A few more snippets from the job description, might give a better idea of the post (bits in bold are things I'm unsure of)...

The postholder will be required to:
- Work closely with the Information manager in the overall management of the system which will include the database, information flows and quality assurance of the data held on the system.
- Act as the key link with all those agencies listed on the system in terms of communicating any developments or changes to the system.
- Develop and maintain arrangements with a range of agencies for regular update of information (including early year's providers) held on the system.
- Develop a protocol for regular quality assurance of the data through emailing those agencies registered or other methods.
- Act as webmaster determining what information is uploaded to the system.
- Be responsible for the maintenance and where necessary updating of coding frames in the system.
- Be the main link with the developer of the system and negotiate any amendments and upgrades.
- Manage a telephone signposting service for users requiring help to find a service.
- Keep abreast of advances in the technology used in development of web based searchable systems and advise the Commissioning Lead/Information Manager on the scope for improvements to the system.

Training
Key to the effectiveness of the system will be making available a range of training to a wide audience of users.
- Make contact with frontline users of the system e.g. Gateway Teams, Health Visitors, GPs etc and arrange to demonstrate the system.
- Provide presentations on the use/benefits of the system at conferences/ to local community groups/at training courses.
- Monitor and provide regular reports on the usage statistics for the system.
- Take responsibility for the long term promotion of the site.

liamt

Well 2 actually. One I've applied for before and knowing some of the other applicants I'm not overly confident although I'll give it my best shot.

The other one (interviews are a day apart) is for a systems manager post. One of the main responsibilities seems to be managing the department's website.

I don't have any experience in website management or admin, but I have been shortlisted for interview (I think) based on my experience with data management and analysis and general IT dogsbody role.

Any hints regarding website maintenance etc?
i thought you were an actual dr... are you a fraud like dr fox and dr dre? :laugh:

As above, though they might want you to do some backups and such of the site data, if it's something like a simple wordpress blog it's a fairly simple process of clicking a few links. But it's really hard to know.
sounds like its external so probably just click a button to backup the mysql db or whatever.

Whatever it is
Good luck to you phil :)
are you a fraud too? :devil:

"- Be responsible for the maintenance and where necessary updating of coding frames in the system." im a web dev by trade (branched out since then) but i have no idea what this means :laugh:

i guess they could be referring to the use of HTML frames but that's ancient tech that nobody uses anymore. basically where you have multiple pages on a website, 1 for the menus, 1 for content etc. its very easy to code though. proper basic stuff.

good luck anyway! (drfraud :devil:)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
> I have no idea what this means

Same here

> updating of coding frames in the system

I'm guessing this was written by someone who does not have a Scoob. Sounds like they are trying to say updating the code as well as the content - but who knows.

Dr (real :devil: but not the headaches and funny rashes kind ;)) IMBW

liamt

> I have no idea what this means

Same here

> updating of coding frames in the system

I'm guessing this was written by someone who does not have a Scoob. Sounds like they are trying to say updating the code as well as the content - but who knows.

Dr (real :devil: but not the headaches and funny rashes kind ;)) IMBW
yup. sounds like marketing BS or HR gibberish to me.

ah cool, never knew you were a dr.

nheather

Distinguished Member
No idea either. The website could be Frame based but I would never expect to see a phrase like that.

Sound like

(a) Written by a manager who doesn't really know what his team does and has just sprinkled it with some techy words he has heard but didn't understand .

or

(b) One of those organisations that are so insular that they think the whole world operates in the exact way that they do and so uses terms that mean something internally when speaking to the outside world.

I have a friend who is very clever and senior, but has worked at the same company all his working life (about 35 years). When talking about work he will use the names of his internal systems and processes in conversation as if the whole word uses them and knows what they are.

Cheers,

Nigel

Iccz

Coding frames (as I understand the use of the term) are for data collection/representation. Where you give a code (usually numeric) to a variable to make it easier to understand/work with. You could do it for Title for example...
1 - Mr
2 - Mrs
3 - Miss
... and so on.

It's nothing to do with actual coding/programming and couldn't really be much more simple :)

I have no idea on the telephone signposting one though, I hate phones :D

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Thanks to all who have helped. First interview is tomorrow.

I'm trying not to be pessimistic but I don't think I have much hope for either post. The first one is a job that I know another person in particular has applied for. This person has at best been coached for the interview by someone very senior in the organisation, who has experience at similar interviews and at worst, has inside information on the interview itself. Of course it can't be proven but I know it goes on.

The second job (I think) is a situation where someone who has been in a temporary post for a few years and the job is now being made permanent meaning they have to apply for their own job. This of course means that they are not guaranteed it but it means that there is nobody in a better position to answer questions on the post than the person who does it. Usually in these situations the interview questions are tailored around the person in question too, I know that for a fact because it happened to me a while back.

Hard not to get depressed about your job prospects in this situation... :rolleyes:

I'll keep plugging away anyway. In a way I'm actually more relaxed for interviews in these circumstances because there's less pressure. The most pressure I've ever felt for an interview was the time I had to apply for my own post because I was expected to get it. Being the underdog is a bit more relaxed.

Stuey1

I have no idea on the telephone signposting one though, I hate phones :D
I would hazard a guess that the telephone signposting one is to do with managing the stages of an IVR, putting messages onto the IVR if there are circumstances that require it :confused:

a complete guess though so I could be wrong

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom