Another Humax died - What next ?

transwest

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I hope you are all keeping well.

As in the title, one of my T4000 has died - fully. No errors, no warning,,,,, it is deceased.
It's my sick room one so I need it replacing, but haven't kept up to date with what's available, what's good, what's bad etc.
I've not been thrilled with Humax right from my first purchase. I had to send my shiny new gadget back after a month, and they replaced it with a scratched, marked and ugly used kit. One or the other has been back 2 or 3 times, and trying to keep up with remotes is very expensive.

As I set my units to record a full week, the only good bit with the T4000 is the amount of tuners/program recording.

At the moment, I only watch Freeview terrestrial TV, and the odd thing my Son brings round, in 4K. I have a 65" Panasonic Atmos TV 9800.

So guys, what's great at the moment ? Is the Humax aura worth looking at ? Are there other sets with 3 or more tuners ? What's about with 4K ?

Thanks for reading
Baz

Exact model of TV? I can't find a "9800"

Have you checked out what the TV can do with an attached USB HDD?
e.g. does it have twin tuners and can it record two and watch a third from the same multiplexes?
You may not need a PVR if so, especially with catchup via Freeview Play on the major channels, and streaming services for binge-watching content?

4k is via internet and that TV may support the streamers for that adequately? If not an attached stick will do a better job and far cheaper to update if/when support is dropped for TV/PVR apps.
No plans/possibility of 4k via DVB-T/T2 in the UK!

Aura and alternatives: read the dedicated threads on them. Work in progress, for them all as far as I can tell?

My main PVR is now a Manhatten T3-R but it only has two tuners. Previously had Topfields and Humax boxes that could as you know record more channels but been surprised it has not been a problem. The Manhatten idenifies clashes and suggests alternative showings of any of the programmes. Rarely had to miss anything so far.
My last Humax had a very short life before failing. I tried the Aura but I got a faulty one and it went back almost unused. Some people are very happy with them I know.
I would avoid the Humax 5000 dreadful interface and slowwww.

Thanks guys:
Rodders:
As in my sig, Panasonic (TX) 65 HZ 9800.
The TV is new and as I'm a bit disabled, haven't had a great play with it.
I assumed that it could only use one HDD, with one tuner (if they actually have 'tuners' for this purpose). That was the case with my LG OLED.
I do need multi tuners due to my way of operating.
I've only just heard of the Aura, on these pages.

((What's the plane on your avatar ? It looks to my very limited brain, like a cross between a Lancaster [front] and a Wellington [rear] ?!))

Richard:
Thanks mate,
I loved my Toppy. I still have it but rarely used. In fact, I'm not sure if I have it connected to the new TV now. It only uses SCART, but I do have an adaptor. I first connected it to my LG OLED via bits of cable, HDMI/USB plugs etc !!

cheers

I suspect it's a 980B not 9800

Not clear if it has twin DBV-T/T2 (Freeview) tuners or not - does support picture-in-picture/ picture and picture though.
eManual mentions enabling twin tuner record support for satellite input(s) if two cables and the option is fitted (TV model dependent). So confusuion reigns.

One way to start, is to see if you can watch BBC One HD and have a PIP of another channel at the same time not on the same multiplex - say More 4 or ITV2.
If yes = two Freeview tuners.

Then try a USB HDD to see how it works.

My old GT60 has one Freeview and one freesat tuner. HDD recording disables both being used at the same time. (You can watch an external input or a recording from the HDD though). So not a PVR experience at all.
You may have better luck?

Avatar is Hercules C130K, taken at the 2011 Lowestoft Air Festival and tweaked to highlight the vapour trails. StackPath

My Humax Fox T2 is around nine years old & still going strong. Maybe look at one of those used for £50 or less. Only dual tuners but with catch up services, do you really need three? If so the TV could maybe serve as the other or another T2 would give you four tuners. They can be set to different IR code sets so you can have two operating independently in the same room.

The only down side I find is the relatively long start-up time, as the older models don't have a quick start option.

Rodders:
Of course it is mate - I'm so sorry for the curve ball. At the time, I was wondering whether to go for the HZ1500, but it has built in atmos speakers, and no outlet for satellites !! Still, that's by the by, but I should have remembered 980b - not 9000 !
I've not seen, or used PiP ! I must look it up and try your test.

RBZ:
Yep - I do need three,,,,, or, as many as my T4000 has. I'm sure it records 3, or maybe four, whilst watching something else.
Many years ago, I had 2 VCR's and 2 Disc recorders in line - connected to my good old 37" Tosh with built-in S.S and 5 satellite speakers. I could do dozens of things with that.
Don't want used items as I want to move forward, and try to future proof (ah, it's wicked to laugh !!)

thanks guys

It so rare I need to record three simultaneously (that there isn't a repeat, +1 or similar option (inc iPlayer) I don't even bother having the HDD attached to my TV any more. But each to their own.

Aura is the latest PVR with over two tuners. The 5000T is more or less the same as your 4000T, but with a bad reputation. Two cheaper twin-tuner PVRs might mean less is lost when one dies?

{The alternative is possibly a mini-PC or similar box with enough DVB-T/T2 tuners in. But a very steep learning curve I expect.}

My main PVR is now a Manhatten T3-R but it only has two tuners. Previously had Topfields and Humax boxes that could as you know record more channels but been surprised it has not been a problem. The Manhatten idenifies clashes and suggests alternative showings of any of the programmes. Rarely had to miss anything so far.
My last Humax had a very short life before failing. I tried the Aura but I got a faulty one and it went back almost unused. Some people are very happy with them I know.
I would avoid the Humax 5000 dreadful interface and slowwww.

I do really miss my beloved Toppy. No PVR on the market can match the features of MyStuff, its custom UI.
But I recently purchased a T3-R and can definitely recommend it. Nice UI, fast, and so far reliable.
The Manhattan team are also very responsive to enquiries.

I recommend the aura, it works very well, and most of the bugs have been squashed during the ongoing public beta testing via the My Humax forum. There have also been lots of features added after user requests.

I do really miss my beloved Toppy. No PVR on the market can match the features of MyStuff, its custom UI.
I second that. It was absolutely brilliant, nothing to touch it. Its only downside was the original software, which had a problem when a lift happened and sometimes caused a disk wipe due to poor signal quality.

Recent Panasonic OLEDs do have two satellite tuners but, while they can pick up the Freesat channels, they don't officially support Freesat which means there is no EPG and you won't therefore be able to set timers for recording via an attached HDD.

If you're used to using a PVR, then I don't think recording Freeview to an external USB is going to give you the versatility you'd expect, so your best options for a new PVR are the Humax Aura or Manhattan T2-R / T3-R, as previously mentioned. Panasonic also still make PVRs, but I think some of their models have been around for quite a while so you're likely to get better support from Humax and Manhattan.

Have you tried seeking advice on your failed T4000 ? There is a well-known forum dedicated to Humax PVRs that might be worth a look - it could be something as simple as a failed HDD. I recently installed a new 2TB HDD in my Humax HDR-Fox T2 to replace it's original, failing drive.

Lastly, have you explored the Freeview Play interface on your TV ? You may find that a lot of what you want to watch is available via the catch-up services and this will reduce your reliance on PVRs. I've been an avid PVR user since I first got my Toppy back in 2006, but I reckon I'm now around 50/50 between recording via PVR and catch-up streaming.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom