1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another HTPC build- help choose pls

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CYRUStheVIRUS, May 18, 2005.

1. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So far my case is DIGN HV6 and i have 350w psu.

It takes full size PSU (should i keep one with it)
    I need a micro atx mobo and will prob fit 1 max 2 H/D.

Any recommendations as all this searching is making me :confused:

I probably won't be using it for games and it accepts two optical drives (any point in this?)

It will be connected to a sky box only (eventually hope to use as processor)
    My budget is flexible so i do not mind paying extra for something that will make difference.

Also any comments on the case.

Thanks in advance John.

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I notice the socket 939 board is only good for A64s (uses the memory controller on the CPU I suppose). What's the noise and heat like on one of those babies in your LC11 cases?

Also stupid question, but I'm right in saying it's impossible to output widescreen res's with the S-video on the built in radeon graphics right (need to make up a VGA-Scart convertor)?

Thanks

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noise in a LC11 depends on the CPU HSF combo and turning the silverstone fans down (I actually replace the silverstone fans with Panaflo), but it's not too difficult to get a silent reasonable cool system running (my mock up used a AMD64 3200). The HDD/DVD being the noisiest components.

There is an issue with using the S939 board and the LC11 in that the layout of the PCI slotsis not suitable for use with the risers supplied with the LC11 (they need to be next to the PCI Express slot. For this reason I don't use these board in the LC11 (my mock up had no cards installed because of this). I am currently trialing the ATX version of this board (still with the onboard gfx etc) in a LC14 though...

5. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks for the info!

And my stupid question? I am right in saying widescreen res's can't be ouput through s-video?

6. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  7. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I've noticed any issue; but TBH at home I use VGA or component. I'll check and get back to you

8. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That depends. You you're hooking up to you display via VGA or s-Video then no if you want DVI etc then yes. There's nothing to stop you adding a 6600GT at any time though - the case look like it should take it

9. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    To begin with, just to my 36" sony crt, (watch a lot of sport and cannot commit yet to lcd) so will i see a benefit in playback of dvd's by using 6600gt?

Also wouldnt it be better to buy another mobo if i am definately going to get a dedicated card.
    Thanks John

10. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All mATX boards come with onboard graphics; given you're limited to mATX this will always be a feature you pay for whether you use it of not.
    If onboard Gfx is of no concern then you should prioritise what features you need (Firewire, number of USB, SPDIF OUT/IN, Processor and bus type etc.)
    IMHO the above boards offer more than most mATX boards out there in terms of features (try finding mATX with firewire for instance - there aren't that many - this might not be a need ATM, but wait until you buy an iPod or Digi-camcorder and you have no PCI slots left on your mATX board for a firewire card....). The one thing they don't have is SPDIF IN which is a shame, otherwise they are as close to perfect for a mATX HTPC board you can get. All IMHO opinion of course