Another Help Thread...Where to Spend my Cash

UncleBill

Novice Member
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading thousands of forum posts trying to answer my own question, but I want to get some expert advice before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance for weighing in.

First off, I am fairly novice when it comes to home theater setup (or I wouldn’t be writing this post). I’m not an audiophile by any means, but can usually tell the difference in speaker quality and characteristics. The room is a dedicated home theater, so 90% movies and television. I have the Video covered and a budget of $4k for the audio (I have some wiggle, but hundreds, not thousands)

The new media room is prewired for 7.2. I pasted a pic of the layout below with the locations of the pre-wiring and dimensions. It’s not perfect, but it is very close.

So here’s my starting point:

Equipment on hand:

Yamaha RX-V773 (can probably net $300 if I sell)
Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sub (I would keep and use elsewhere)
LSi M704c Center channel (net $300 if sold)
Old school Athena technologies Towers and center (donation material if unused)

Arriving Soon, but can be cancelled (it’s on backorder):

I jumped on the Klipsch bundle deal at Adorama for $2,500
2 x RF-7 ii
W/RC-64 Center
2x RP-160M shelf (which I’ll likely sell for ~$300 net)

Here’s setup I was contemplating
  • Receiver: Yamaha RX-V773 ($0)
    L/R: Klipsch RF-7 ii (~$1,400 after I sell the shelves)
  • Center: W/RC-64 (~$700)
  • Surround: I’d go RSL, but I’m looking for a pivoting tweeter due to non-ideal placement of my surrounds. Leaning towards 4x Klipsch CDT-2650-C II ($600) for matching purposes or 4x Polk Audio RC80i ($300) for cost savings
  • Sub(s): 2x SVS PB-1000 ($950)

That brings my total to ~$3650 after I sell what I’m not using.

Am I thinking about this right? Should I worry about my receiver? What about dual subs vs. single? Are the PB-1000’s enough sub given the 4 10” woofers the RF-7’s bring? Should I think about an amp for the RF-7s? Would it be worth it to add another set of speakers in the rear of the room (probably $250 to have the wiring done)?

So many questions!

Again, thanks for the help!

Last edited:

UncleBill

Novice Member
upload_2017-4-9_23-27-55.png

gibbsy

Hello Uncle Bill. I had an Uncle Bill, lived in the Malvern Hills in the county of Worcestershire. Therein lies your first clue. This forum is based a long way from Texas in the United Kingdom, which makes it difficult to work within a dollar budget. You could be better off with the US based AVS.

Hopefully someone on here can help.

Welcome anyway. There are some very knowledgeable people on here, excluding me.:hiya:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What are you hoping to achieve with the 2 pairs of ceiling speakers? Their location would be more akin to an Atmos installation and not a 7.1 surround sound system. I can not see it sounding good with what was designed as rear effects coming from above and infront of the listening position.
If you can not position 7 speakers correctly then maybe stick with a 3.1 or 5.1 system.
Also 2 subs can help if you have room issues but if you do not then you may be better with one better sub instead.

UncleBill

Novice Member
I guess I wanted to tap into the global audio expert network. I'll remove the post and get it over to the U.S. forums. Sorry and Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom