Question Another Help me build thread :)

edd666999

Looking to replace the Mrs ageing XPS with a new desktop machine. Shes a photographer, uses a 5DMK4. She currently just does photo editing, All her media is stored on some network storage (raid10) + (Cloud)

Moving forward she wants to be able to edit video, play some esports games. Shes uses the Adobe suite of software for all her work.

I want a true 10bit display 27". I cant seem to find another display that beats the Benq, any suggestions?

I have a 10GBE switch so want to be able to transfer at full speed from the nvme to the ssd cashe on the network storage box, suggestions for a pci card?

I was always under the impression im going to need a quadro or radeon pro for true 10bit support in Photoshop and lightroom but apparently theres some new nvidia drivers (studio drivers) that unlock 10bit. I have a 1050ti in my plex server so going to do some testing before I purchase the GPU. If I have to buy a Pro card it would be a wx5100 I thing, 2nd hand around £240.

My current build idea:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased at £100

MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased at £82.48

Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory Purchased at £62.50

Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case Purchased at £48.00

Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased at £76.50

Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased at £149.99

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512gb M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased at £59.57

Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased at £21:59

MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card Purchased at £278.00

BenQ SW271 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor Current Price £959.99

£878.88 spent.

Need recommendations on a 10GBE card.

*Im aware that psu is massive overkill, ignore that as I've got other plans for the PSU in the future.

As you can see I've already made a start so changes will be limited! I was planning on mirroring the nvme drives, as although she is *supposed to* save everything on the network, shes a user!

I thought swapping the 200mm fan in the case to the noctua will give quieter results?

I was hoping that massive D15 cooler would run almost fan less at times?

Thanks to those who read this far and thanks for any suggestions
:)

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
On the display end a 10-bit LCD panel alone isn't very significant. It's a minor feature designed to avoid noticeable gradients when working with greyscale or with a wide colour gamut.

And bear in mind that a budget monitor like that (compared to reference grade stuff) will have more variation in colour and brightness across the screen.

Be sure you've got the important stuff your other half wants covered, like full coverage of whichever colour gamut she's working in and whether she's happy with the size/resolution combination.

I wouldn't bother changing the included fan until you've got it up and running, I'd expect something that big and slow to be very nearly silent so it'll mainly be a case of potentially improved performance rather than reduced noise. And there's no guarantee of that as included case fans are often chosen to suit the needs of the case rather than trying to suit everything.

edd666999

Making a start here's a link for a true 10 bit display monitor

Dell UltraSharp 27 4K Monitor: U2718Q | Dell UK

At £528 and these Dell monitors are amongst the best out there. I've got one but in a bigger size and wouldn't swap it for anything else.

Here's an article on Delta E ≦2 Colour Accuracy, ultra important to you wife, which the U2718Q supports.

https://www.viewsonic.com/uk/products/lcd/pdf/ti_delta_E.pdf

Thanks for the recommendation, it is a very nice monitor but not enough coverage of the adobe rgb colour space unfortunately!

Ill have a read of that article this evening, thanks!

edd666999

On the display end a 10-bit LCD panel alone isn't very significant. It's a minor feature designed to avoid noticeable gradients when working with greyscale or with a wide colour gamut.

And bear in mind that a budget monitor like that (compared to reference grade stuff) will have more variation in colour and brightness across the screen.

Be sure you've got the important stuff your other half wants covered, like full coverage of whichever colour gamut she's working in and whether she's happy with the size/resolution combination.

I wouldn't bother changing the included fan until you've got it up and running, I'd expect something that big and slow to be very nearly silent so it'll mainly be a case of potentially improved performance rather than reduced noise. And there's no guarantee of that as included case fans are often chosen to suit the needs of the case rather than trying to suit everything.

Ive been back and forth on the 10bit vs 8bit frc debate in my head and I've always concluded that id just rather have a full 10bit panel then i wont have that nagging voice in my head in the future!

Its crazy to think (in my mind) that £1000 monitor is actually in the budget category! That monitor does however deliver in accuracy, size and feature set. I've got a xrite pro calibrator already which works well with that monitor from what I've read.

But to be honest I don't REALLY want 4k, 1440p would be fine, and I wish I could just save £200 have everything the same except resolution! That doesn't seem to be a option though.

edd666999

Just made some purchases so the build is close to complete!

Just a monitor to buy!

Need to test if the studio drivers really do allow 10bit on a consumer card using my 1050ti then get a more capable card.

the 200mm fan jumped in price on amazon so I'm going to see how loud the included fan is.

edd666999

Well, im happy with that spec for £878. Just a monitor left now!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom