Another 'help me build a pc thread'

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ash2008, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ash2008

ash2008
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, long time reader first time poster here :)

Simply put my dads getting a new pc and has found one at costco a HP P6061 with W2007V 20" monitor
    HP Pavilion p6061uk Desktop PC (NQ982AA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products
    its available for £500

However, after doing some research it seems clear that buying the components individually and building a pc will be far cheaper.

I currently have a packard bell 2479, though I don't know whether any of its components will be worth keeping. and I don't need a keyboard,mouse or monitor.

So, I would appreciate it if you could list what you would buy for the best possible rig for a budget of around £500-600 as I really don't know where to start.

bearing in mind that gaming is the most important aspect for me.

thanks for any help

2. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    something like -

• Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 LGA775 (1333FSB) Retail £174.00
    • OcUK Value Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3 LGA775 Motherboard/OCZ StealthXStream 600w PSU/Antec 300 Three Hundred Case - Barebones System £172.49
    • Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 8500C5 £39.99
    • Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card £109.99
    • Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM £66.99

Sub Total : £489.95
    Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:
    DPD Next Day Parcel

Total : £575.52

Stonking system for the cash - gfx card will murder any game u throw at it and quad core with 4gb of ram and 1tb hard drive will be the arse out of HP pre built machine!!!

Another £20 for a dvd writer if needed.

3. ash2008

ash2008
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information!

What site did you get these prices from?
    Do I need a DVD writer to burn music CDs?
    Are they all the essential components? Will I need to buy a new OS or can i take that from my old PC?

4. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    overclockers was used for that list.
    also check out scan and ebuyer.

DVD writer will burn cd/dvd etc

Depends on what OS you have on your old system. Why not download W7 (windows 7) the new OS from microsoft. It's currently in Release Candidate phase but completely stable and useable (it's the only os i'm using on my main pc) and the it's licensed till March next year i think and costs you nothing for now. You can then upgrade at that point.

5. Eftee

Eftee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This spec sounds great. Do you know how it would fair with MS Flight Simulator X? Or would any of these items be OTT?
    Thanks

6. Ardandy

Ardandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I think you're forgetting circa £80 for a Windows Vista Home Premium licence!

7. ash2008

ash2008
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I could use the set up you mentioned above and be able to go on the internet to download windows 7? so I don't neccesarily need to get a new OS as that set up will come with its own?

Will i need a sound card, or will that also be already in the components listed above?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  8. crossbow

crossbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    No, you will need an OS installed before you can go online & download Win7. So you can download Win7 RC now, burn the image to disk & be prepared.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/comp...ws-7-only-49-between-15-07-09-09-08-09-a.html

If it's the Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3, you'll be fine as it has onboard sound (as do the majority of motherboards nowadays).

If you'd prefer a dedicated soundcard, then you'll need to buy one separately (I could sell you a retail-boxed Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard in the AVF Classifieds section if interested at a discounted rate - please post a 'Wanted' thread there if & when required).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009