Another HDMI (audio) extraction question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DOBLY, Jan 3, 2019.

1. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    Here's yet another HDMI issue that is similar but not quite the same as recent questions.

I have an Apple TV 4k, a Pioneer KRP TV and a 20 year old Arcam Alpha 10 DAVE module equipped (pre HDMI) amplifier set-up with a 5.1 speaker system from Ruark, which all play nicely with each other except when it comes to embedded HDMI PCM audio. The HDMI audio extractor that I have, HDMI Audio Embedder / De-embedder — Blustream , does not claim to be able to pass the PCM 5.1 audio that some content creators (BBC for example) use via digital coax. My amplifier has digital optical inputs as well, but I can't find a product that will automatically send the right audio to be decoded by the old but perfectly serviceable Arcam.
    Does such a thing exist? Will some sort of HDMI hub / matrix be able to automatically pass the correct sound stream to be decoded without swapping cables etc.?
    The existing set up handles other types of DTS & Dolby 5.1 audio with ease, but not the PCM audio that is used (for example) on Doctor Who, much to my wife's annoyance - we have to put up with the downmix to stereo for this (and a few other TV programs) which we feed from the TVNZ app on the Apple TV. Netflix content, however, works perfectly in 5.1 on the abovesystem.
    Any product recommendations will be gratefully received, except "buy an HDMI receiver" - I don't want to have to retire the Arcam as it does everything else so well. Thanks in advance.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,436
    HDMI is the only connection which will transport uncompressed 5.1 PCM.

There are Converters which can accept uncompressed 5.1 LPCM via HDMI and Output that as six channels of analogue via RCA to a suitable Pre Amp or AVR equipped with multi-channel Analogue Inputs.

Optical and Coaxial Digital audio Input/Output sockets max out at 2.0 with uncompressed LPCM.

Joe

3. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    Thanks for the swift reply Joe.