Another HDCP 2.2 Switch Question!

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Hi -

I currently use a DVDO Edge for both VP and maybe more importantly HDMI switching duties.

All my current sources go into the DVDO, and that then outputs to the TV, currently a KRP-500A, and a second output to my AV amp, an Arcam AVR600 (hopeless for video but great for sound!). What I really like about this setup is that I have priority based switching which means we just need to turn a source on and up it comes (The TV never moves from HDMI 1!) and that when I turn on the amp, it automatically mutes the TV speakers. And the DVDO does a pretty good job of sorting out the generally poor Sky SD/HD signals.

I'm looking at going to 4K HDR, and clearly the DVDO is not going to work... So the TV would be a 4K TV, possibly Sky Q for UHD football and F1, and then a UHD player, although I will probably keep the current Oppo 103D...

I don't want an amp based solution, as I prefer an amp to just do audio, and the only ones that provide HDMI passthrough when off, (Marantz) only pass through the last input selected so you still have to turn it on to change... all gets too complicated. Plus most of my TV viewing is currently done with the TV speakers. They're surprisingly good on the Kuro. (That and the surround kit has the AVR, a stereo pre-amp and 3 separate power amps, which I don't leave on all the time!)

So, what I'm looking for is an HDMI switch that has 4 or 5 inputs, and two outputs, one for the TV, possibly with ARC and another that outputs audio only, or maybe mirrors. I doubt mirroring would work with the Arcam though. (I might be willing to change to a Marantz 7702 MkII, but only if it doesn't need to do any HDMI switching...)

Some kind of input priority would be good so that it's just as easy to use....

Finally.... is there any way anyone can think of to still use the DVDO PReP facility to help with Sky SD and 1080i de-interlacing (and maybe 60Hz -> 24p) with Sky Q ? Clearly the DVDO isn't going to play with a 4K signal and it only has one HDMI out...

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
OK, so I'm wondering if the combination of a 'simple' HDCP 2.2 4/5 x 1 compatible switch would work feeding into the latest HD Fury Integral to then provide a separate audio out feed...

Which might make the task easier if there's a decent HDMI switch out there with priority based switching even if that's as basic as input 1 is highest priority and 5 is lowest for example?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Simpler to add an additional HDMI cable to cater for the UHD BD Player when you are upgrading the Display - everything else is likely better kept running via the 'Edge', probably better to wait until you can asses Direct vs. via the Edge before you decide if you require a Switch.

Ensure the UHD BD you purchase has dual HDMI Out.

Joe

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply... I'm looking at two UHD sources with Sky Q & a UHD player... so I think really need a switch. So are there many out there with HDCP 2.2 compatibility? And would the Fury be a good way of extracting the HDMI audio properly?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDF have a new model arriving soon - for similar money to the Integral the 'KEY' scaler is potentially a better option for you.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom