Question Another HD Fury Vertex 2 Sanity Check Request...

Pyongyang

Hello.

I am wondering if an HD Fury device may help with my setup. I have a CYP OR-HD62CD-4K22 6x2 HDMI Matrix Switch that I use to connect various devices to. The switch/matrix has 2 HDMI outputs. 1 goes to a Yamaha YSP-2700 soundbar running in 4K Mode 1 (4:4:4). The other HDMI output I use to connect to a Hauppauge HD PVR2 GE for capturing Laserdiscs. One of the devices I have connected to the switch is CYP AU-11CA audio embedder which in turn acts as the middle man to a DVDO VP50 Pro which is connected to it. A Pioneer CLD-D925 Laserdisc player is connected to the DVDO.

I use the audio embedder as the go between because the VP50 Pro has a bug in it that won't pass analog audio over HDMI. So using the embedder I can bypass running audio over the DVDO and just feed RCA and SPDIF directly to it alongside HDMI and it spits out HDMI emebedded audio the other side to the Matrix/Switch. EDID settings on the switch are all set to passthrough. Problem is the audio embedder sometimes drops out audio. Or, if I want to capture video, I have to change the EDID setting on the switch for the DVDO input only, to Apple Standard. Otherwise I get a pink tinted screen.

HDMI cables are all fairly recent purchases and should all be okay throughout my setup. If I don't use Apple Standard EDID I get picture drop outs/handshakes/etc every 2 seconds or so, so can't use my capture device. I think the embedder and switch could be the culprits here. What device could help? Dr HDMI 4K? Where in my chain do I put it? Or maybe a Vertex 2 and remove my Switch/Matrix?

I was thinking too, the Vertex 2 could help in that I have a Nintendo Switch and an Nvidia Shield connected to the Switch/Matrix and use a Logitech Harmony Elite/Hub setup so this may help with those. But will a Vertex 2 solve my current issues or do I need something else/additional?

One last thing, can the Vertex 2 force a device to detect a 10bit display if it is really an 8bit+FRC display? I'm referring here to a Sky Q set top box that won't detect my Philips 8bit+FRC panel as 10bit so it won't make use of (the albeit limited) HDR content on Sky Q, it always detects it as UHD 8bit. I believe with the many Vertex 2 EDID options that this would work is that right?

I spoke to HD Fury direct on their Discord about all of this but wanted to conduct a sanity check here to remove any doubts of sales bias. I'm thinking a Vertex 2 should be the purchase here. I've attached a (rather crude, sorry) diagram of my current setup to give a better perspective of how things currently are, and hopefully where it would be best to insert/remove/replace a device to fix all of these problems/requests.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Links to some device specs in my setup:

N.B. I should add that I have the Sky Q box connected directly to one of the soundbar HDMI inputs. I also had the UHD player connected to the soundbar too due to some issues with the soundbar needing to be changed to 4K Mode 1 (4:4:4). I added it to the switch to see if I could free up a soundbar HDMI port and it seems to work but can be temperamental with HDR passthrough (notably on the Netflix app on it). I've left the diagram unchanged this way to show my requirement for a switch/matrix to possibly resolve any EDID isssues along the line somewhere. I'll also be getting rid of my Sky Q in December and replacing that with an Arris Freesat UHD-4X 2TB box, connected directly to the soundbar. Everything is controlled by a Logitech Harmony Elite and Hub (though the switch/matrix works ok to power on/off, it gets confused when commands are issued to it, even with really long delays added to the activity steps so I have to control it manually which is not ideal).

homecinemav2.png

Last edited:

Stridsvognen

Ill say that you need to find a way to simplify your setup, and the DVDO VP50 might be one of the worse 3D comb filters and scalers around for laserdisc.
Your setup is way to complex for anyone to reply to, and adding yet another link in there is not a good idea in my opinion.

Pyongyang

Ill say that you need to find a way to simplify your setup, and the DVDO VP50 might be one of the worse 3D comb filters and scalers around for laserdisc.
Your setup is way to complex for anyone to reply to, and adding yet another link in there is not a good idea in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm replacing the CYP Matrix with the Vertex 2. Hopefully that sorts that part out with the HDCP issues I am having and some problems with the Harmony Hub controlling the matrix.

I'm aware the comb filter in the VP50 Pro isn't the best but it does the job in other areas. I have a CLD-R7G on the way from Japan so that should remedy LD comb filtering, it will also be using S Video instead of composite. I'd go for a Lumagen 2144 if I had the setup to justify the cost.

Stridsvognen

The calibre vantage will do better than the DVDO, or a Crystalio but in a setup like yours you likely end up with some annoying lipsync issues. For me it seems a lot of your issues would be solved with a surround processor to replace your sound bar, that would take analog input, and switch HDMI sources.

The lumagen 2144 is hard to find these days and will cost a premium, and im not sure how good it really is, it came out to late for there to be a focus on analog formats, the Lumagen XS had analog inputs and thy were horrible, and the excuse was they never tested it, just added it to the processor.

Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

You actually inspired a idea, i put my Denon AVR X6300 in my HT and connected the composite to the AVR, and the AVR to the projector, tosling fron the laserdisc player to the AVR, and wola, its actually not ½ bad.

20201102_195401.jpg
20201102_195638.jpg

Pyongyang

Hah! Nice work! :smashin:

I switched from an AVR to a soundbar setup a while back for family reasons so a full fledged setup isn't on the cards for a while.

The Vertex 2 will be interesting too as I want to add the custom Dolby Vision capability it offers to my TV.

I don't get sync issues at the minute butprobably will now we've talked it up!

Stridsvognen

im just thinking a AVR with conversion capabilities, could be used as a processor only so the smalest one that will do the job passing sound and picture to the soundbar, way simpler than a hole lot of funky boxes in the loop, you can drop he DVDO, the switcher, and your audio embedder. In the end it will also be cheaper. Cant imagine the setup you have now to be very family frindly to switch source on.

Pyongyang

I use a Logitech Harmony Elite and Hub to automate everything. Main kit that is used daily is Sky Q and the Shield. Rarely have issues with getting those switched on and off.

Another bonus with the Vertex 2 is how it handles and switches devices like a Shield, PS4 etc. I'd have considered the Diva but I have an Ambilight TV so don't need the Diva lighting feature.

I love the DVDO VP50 Pro (bugs aside) for Laserdiscs, especially how it performs non linear stretching.

Stridsvognen

I use a Logitech Harmony Elite and Hub to automate everything. Main kit that is used daily is Sky Q and the Shield. Rarely have issues with getting those switched on and off.

Another bonus with the Vertex 2 is how it handles and switches devices like a Shield, PS4 etc. I'd have considered the Diva but I have an Ambilight TV so don't need the Diva lighting feature.

I love the DVDO VP50 Pro (bugs aside) for Laserdiscs, especially how it performs non linear stretching.
The VP50 non pro was better, less bugs, think ull like that one better, however even the cheapest avr do better videoprocessing today.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom