Another Floating Wall - with a slight twist

Hi Loz,

I am also interested i the ceiling speakers but had some concerns over the noise from above, as these would be below my daughters room, is there much 'overspill' to the room above?

Sorry, I only got round to wiring up the sub this weekend, so haven't really wound the sound up.

I can't see any problem with leakage. When I go upstairs into the rooms directly above, the main sound from the front speakers is still much louder than anything coming from the ceiling speakers.

That may depend on how the speakers are installed.
The KEF Ci series come mounted inside an "acoustic steel back can", that is also filled with acoustic wool. http://www2.kef.com/GB/Custom/Ceiling/Ci130

Presumably this and the rubber mounting of the speaker in the fitting help to minimise spillage and reduce any vibration.

It might be a different thing if the front and centre speaker were in the ceiling as well, as these tend to have much louder volume than the rears.

I've got a plasterer coming in to do my work. Charging me around £350 per room to skim ceilings and walls. Is yours by any chance from the London Borough of Poland? Great job. Very impressed with your project. Novel idea with the wall speakers. Any idea as to the depth of the wall speakers and price? Looking to get speakers to put into my wall. Looking for white ones too. Considering your kef eggs but not sure yet. How much did the wall speakers set you back if you dont mind my asking. Would also appreciate your view or anyones on putting these into a solid brick wall... advisable?

I've got a plasterer coming in to do my work. Charging me around £350 per room to skim ceilings and walls. Is yours by any chance from the London Borough of Poland? Great job. Very impressed with your project. Novel idea with the wall speakers. Any idea as to the depth of the wall speakers and price? Looking to get speakers to put into my wall. Looking for white ones too. Considering your kef eggs but not sure yet. How much did the wall speakers set you back if you dont mind my asking. Would also appreciate your view or anyones on putting these into a solid brick wall... advisable?

Unlike my wife, the plaster was not Polish. :)

You can find the spec of the speakers at KEF - Innovators in Sound

The Ci130 that I used requires 6.29" with the back can, or 4.29" without it. Mine are fitted without the back can in the wall - but with the back can in the ceiling. KEF - Innovators in Sound - Custom Install - In Ceiling - Ci Series

I don't think it would be very easy to fit them into a solid wall! Unless you fancy drilling a 7" hole into it :eek:

But there are thinner speakers around.

The Ci1302QR normally retail around £125 each.
But I was lucky and got mine on clearance from empire direct for £80.

I notice hyperfi also have some b-stock on clearance Kef Ci130.2QR In-Ceiling Speaker White Single Pack

For an idea of prices of other brands In-Wall Speakers at discount prices from HiFiBitZ

As a consequence of the floating wall project, the 42" that was in the lounge is now on the wall in the breakfast room

and the 32" LCD that was there, is now on the wall in our daughter's room

and the 19" that was in her room is ....

and so the circle of life goes on :)

2879195275_579be68f26_o.jpg

can you tell me what software you used this for please.
top job by the way

Loz mate, which lights did you use around the floating wall mate?

Any dimmers?

Thanks Jay.

Edit:
@Salzy - You can do a plan in any software mate. If you have Microsoft Word Just use the drawing tools to create it. You can do a more detailed one on Google SketchUp or any CAD.

Any software such as Fireworks/Photoshop you will be able to do a plan.

Jay

Last edited:
Loz mate, which lights did you use around the floating wall mate?

Any dimmers?

The rope light is Duralex from TLC as many people have used in this forum

The dimmers for all the lights, including the rope lights are from the homeeasy range at B&Q

See earlier post in this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...r-floating-wall-slight-twist.html#post7775080

The rope light is wired into what were the wall lights, and so are controlled from the main wall switch

Looks great Loz, cracking effort :)
How do the speakers sound cranked up? Are they big enough to fill that large room?

Looks great Loz, cracking effort :)
How do the speakers sound cranked up? Are they big enough to fill that large room?

More than enough.

They are a little quieter than the Kef 2005 'eggs' they replaced. But still more than loud enough :thumbsup:

I can never find the Homeeasy 2gang plugs anywhere,.

I can never find the Homeeasy 2gang plugs anywhere,.

well I have only ever seen them in B&Q, but in the ones local to me (Farnborough, Reading), they always seem to be in stock.

wow thats great, im about to do one of these floating walls but was concerned with screwing it up but not being able to really work on it untill its all fixed to the wall... that however seems alot simpler and more up my street! great work!

So can you explain how you have fixed it to the wall? Youv obviously made the surround as in one of your pictures, but how do you then attach that to the wall?

So can you explain how you have fixed it to the wall? Youv obviously made the surround as in one of your pictures, but how do you then attach that to the wall?

I fixed 2 pieces of 2x2 to the wall. and then fixed the floating wall to that with some brackets.

Actually you can see it in the following picture - the top piece of 2x2 running the height of the floating wall was fixed to the wall. This was just lining the brackets up.
2880017442_06059c7b52_o.jpg

loz, stunning mate, just stunning. Puts the rest to shame (especially me!!) Well done. :thumbsup:

ooh nice setup Loz, only a small part of the overall setup but loving those chrome switches with the blue xeon type lights.

GJ.

Mut's nuts right there Loz , excellent set up , wish i could do the same but ex council houses have a tendancy to only have one straight wall in the house :rotfl: , sadly the breast wall isn't it :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom