Another floating wall inspired by AVF members

Jason56d

EDIT: For some reason the photo's I added earlier are now not showing, and it won't let me add any new ones? Will try again in a bit or in the morning.

New edit: Photo's went on fine now? Maybe site having a hissy fit last night?

Hello all, been lurking round for nearly a year, reading literally hundreds of threads. Started saving hard and deciding whether to go for a false chimney breast or floating wall for my TV.

Decided to go down the floating wall route and and have the real chimney breast taken out to widen our narrowish lounge. There was an open gas fire in there that was used maybe 2-3 times a year at most.

Lounge is oblong, 6.70m by 3.35m (narrows to 3.05m one half of lounge), curved bay window one end and double doors to kitchen diner other end. With the chimney breast in the lounge, we were very restricted as to where the I could house my TV & kit. It has always lived in the angled space between the chimney & bay window. This restricted the size of TV to 50" max (current TV is a Panasonic 50CX680). Anything bigger would have encroached into the bottom corner of the window and that was a big no no with the "boss".

So having a floating wall would not only widen the room a bit and more importantly, give me the option of getting a bigger TV! :clap: Made a rough template to help us decide.....

IMG_3025.JPG

Taking inspiration from several of you (especially @Harty190486), and PMing a few of you (@danmc_82 & @dollag) to ask numerous questions, we booked a builder in and started work.

Got off to a dodgy start as the builder tried to order a skip on the Friday for the Monday morning, he forgot my road is resident parking permits, therefore he needed a permit for the skip and it takes a week from our council! So we ended up having the bricks and rubble from 2 chimney breasts (taking the bedroom one out as well directly above) and gallows bracket rubble in our small front garden and spillage in the lounge!

IMG_3115.JPG

Obviously they tidied up as much as they could each day, but luckily we have quite a big kitchen that we moved into.

Another small issue was when he took some floorboards up:

IMG_3201.JPG

A wasp's nest! Thankfully even though it was a recently used nest, there were none there. Removed and foam repellent replaced it.

When the chimney was coming down, my wife came up with a great suggestion. Move the proposed floating wall from where it was to be (chimney wall), to the opposite wall where we usually have our sofa. This made absolute sense as it sits back nearly 30cm and is just over 3m long. That way it was on a wall that we couldn't use for much apart from having the sofa there? And if we wanted to change our seating round now, we had a wall of 6.7m to play with!

So, it was decided, the floating wall would go where she suggested.

I only thought about keeping a photographic record of it once it was underway and missed a lot of the initial batten work, but you get the idea. And fortunately, or unfortunately whichever way you look at it, my builders worked at such a quick pace building it while I was at work, I didn't manage to get many photo's of it.

5M LED strip from Visual Chillout was also decided upon and installed by my builder. He wired it into an old unused wall light fitting which would be hidden behind the floating wall.

Here are a couple of photo's in progress:

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

One of my own most important specifications was I wanted 95%+, if not all wires, cables, plugs etc to be hidden. My old setup was so untidy, it used to do my head in! I had purchased 60m 2x2.5mm OFC pure copper speaker wire to lay and hide out of site. Also, bought new longer cables for my Sky Q, ethernet & Virgin broadband which were all to be run under the floorboards and in conduit in the walls where possible.

I had also purchased 2 Magnat IC62 ceiling speakers for Atmos duties from Amazon Germany delivered for £124 (wanted a pair Monitor Audio CT165-T2, but they are £270 a pair, and needed to save some cash somewhere). But had neglected to tell the wife of my plan...... Asked my builder to cut 2 x 8" holes in the ceiling when she was out! :D.

IMG_3214.JPG

She wasn't happy when she saw them, but to be fair, as I pointed out to her, it took her 36 hours to notice 2 great big holes in the ceiling with double speaker wire hanging out, how much better would they look once the speakers were installed? Thankfully she agreed and I was off the hook slightly!

IMG_3332.JPG

My Besta unit arrived from Ikea and was hung on the wall. Looks great and everything fits in perfectly.

Hit a slight snag when setting up my speakers though. I have a set of Energy Take Classic 5.1. Great sounding speakers for the price I paid 7 years ago (£299). I had not checked the width of speaker wire the terminals would accept. So had to buy some banana plugs. Not the end of the world, but means my speakers sit away from the wall. Will have to do until I can get new speakers.

All set up in the end and system looks and sounds superb. Atmos speakers sound superb and glad I saved a bit of money there. Am very happy with it all.

IMG_3410.JPG

IMG_3411.JPG

Couple of little bits to finish, have to decide on wallpaper for the floating wall itself (Mrs wants something to match the so far unbought curtains), bit of conduit underneath the Besta to hide sub cable & sub power cable. And a couple of wall lights above the sofa for my Philips Hue lighting along with the Fado lamp from Ikea. Then new OLED TV & sofa!

Last edited:

Jason56d

In case anyone is wondering what the green blob on the right hand side of the wall is? It is a bit of frog tape I put over the LED lights RF sensor while I primed the MDF. Left it there until we decide on wallpaper.

Forgot to say as well, the "boss" wanted a curved column radiator for the bay window. OUCH! Just under £800! Had to let her have that. All pipes run under floor for it by plumber before carpet was laid. Takes 5-6 weeks to make.

@crewmanchris asked me about how well the Denon AVR X2300 sat inside the Besta, fits perfectly.

Here is a side on shot:

IMG_3409.JPG

crewmanchris

Are the Atmos speakers above the seating position or at the floating wall end? You have 5.1.2?

Jason56d

Are the Atmos speakers above the seating position or at the floating wall end? You have 5.1.2?

Yes they are. Sofa is 2.3m long and the speakers are approx 2.1m apart, directly above the sofa.

And for now, 5.1.2. Thinking of getting another sub as the 2300 accepts 5.2.2, I think?!?

crewmanchris

Thanks for the info. I may have an issue getting speakers in the ceiling so may have to go for something a little abnormal for Atmos - maybe accepting front heights as a compromise. Ref your sub - Sounds like a plan although I'm not sure what benefit that would bring in a normal size room.

NeoAdjuvent

Which Besta unit have you got mate? Looks great! Going down the same route when I move into my new house in a few weeks, rapidly reading threads on here for inspiration and tips! [emoji16]

Jason56d

crewmanchris

So my other half has decided that the white Besta unit is better - It's confused me! Amazing the picture your brain makes sometimes!

Jason56d

So my other half has decided that the white Besta unit is better - It's confused me! Amazing the picture your brain makes sometimes!

We already had a 120cm white one in the sons bedroom to help us.

Didn't stop the Mrs deciding on white once I had put our new black one together and attached it to the wall! I soon made her see the error of her ways!

crewmanchris

We already had a 120cm white one in the sons bedroom to help us.

Didn't stop the Mrs deciding on white once I had put our new black one together and attached it to the wall! I soon made her see the error of her ways!
I recon I'll stick to black/brown :)

So - I hopefully will get back from a 6 week work trip this week where I have my TV, AVR and UHD Bluray player waiting for me. I've just ordered this to mount TV...

VonHaus 32-55" Double Arm Cantilever Tilt Swivel TV Wall Mount Bracket for LCD, LED, 3D, Plasma Screens - Super Strong 45kg Weight Capacity: Amazon.co.uk: TV

... and 100' of amazon 14AWG speaker cable and some banana plugs to start the project.

First decision is which wall to start... Again the other half has suggested the opposite wall to the one i was thinking but she might be onto something! The difference will be either having a network switch or not as I don't plan to move the BT router.

Jason56d

I recon I'll stick to black/brown :)

So - I hopefully will get back from a 6 week work trip this week where I have my TV, AVR and UHD Bluray player waiting for me. I've just ordered this to mount TV...

VonHaus 32-55" Double Arm Cantilever Tilt Swivel TV Wall Mount Bracket for LCD, LED, 3D, Plasma Screens - Super Strong 45kg Weight Capacity: Amazon.co.uk: TV

... and 100' of amazon 14AWG speaker cable and some banana plugs to start the project.

First decision is which wall to start... Again the other half has suggested the opposite wall to the one i was thinking but she might be onto something! The difference will be either having a network switch or not as I don't plan to move the BT router.

That was the original TV mount I was going to get. But changed my mind and went with this one:

Invision® Ultra Strong TV Wall Bracket Mount - For 37: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Am sure your one will be just as good.

The AWG speaker cable is top quality stuff, very impressed with mine. I bought Sewell plugs in the end, as the 2.5mm cable was too big for my speaker terminals.

And, maybe listen to your OH on the wall? I did and it worked out for me?

Even though I am looking to get an OLED soon, I can't stop looking at speakers! Currently thinking about getting the Monitor Audio Radius line. 90's for the front pair, 200 for centre and a couple of 45's for surround duties, and possibly a BK Gemini II sub? The 90's are not much bigger than my current ones, which will help pass the OH approval. Anything bigger and I will struggle.

Speaker size depends a lot on your budget. You could go for something like these:

SoundFrame

But at £450 ish a speaker, could get expensive on a 7.1 system! Or even look at other installation/ in built speakers?

If you go for bookshelf speakers for the front, maybe take into consideration how big the top surface is. This way you could go for these for Atmos duties:

ELAC DEBUT A4 ATMOSBlack Dolby Atmos Speakers Per Pair

Meant to be pretty good and not hoping the wife doesn't see the 2 blooming great holes in your ceiling!

I did run a decent quality cable for my Virgin hub in case I wanted to move it, but as it's in the lounge as well, I get a superb wifi signal on everything bar my Nvidia Shield (?). So that is just using the long Cat6 cable I ran under the floor boards that was going to go into my Gigabit switch.

If I were you, run cables that you think you may use in the future, even if you are only 20%, run one, because it's easier to run them during rather than after.

Good luck and am just ask away.

crewmanchris

Excellent post again! Thanks. So I have most of the speakers already (see my signature) and plan to mount with btech BT77 and BT15 and like you say about a CAT 6 cable - that would probably be my plan - Most of the devices are wifi but I prefer a wired connection if i can get it - especially when everything is getting more bandwidth heavy.

Oh - and see my post here for the thinking on ATMOS duties

DarkBlade

Hit a slight snag when setting up my speakers though. I have a set of Energy Take Classic 5.1. Great sounding speakers for the price I paid 7 years ago (£299). I had not checked the width of speaker wire the terminals would accept. So had to buy some banana plugs. Not the end of the world, but means my speakers sit away from the wall. Will have to do until I can get new speakers.

Would using spade connectors help?

Jason56d

Would using spade connectors help?

Went into RS to have a look at their speaker ranges (well mostly the MA Radius line) and the guy serving suggested them as an option as well? Briefly looked into it, but decided it wouldn't save me that much space? Plus I had already bought the banana plugs as I am soooo impatient!

My terminals are quite a good design for flush seating against a wall as they are angled and recessed into the rear of the speaker. But they can only take 1.5mm cable.

May look into it again, thanks.

crewmanchris

Finally finished... looks better at night with lighting behind tv and behind wall. Considering I’m usually rubbish at DIY I’m quite proud of myself!

Attachments

• 102116E1-0A7A-448E-9E57-A822391B7077.jpg
    102116E1-0A7A-448E-9E57-A822391B7077.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 240

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom