Another flipping bag thread...

AMc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a birthday coming up and will shortly be asked for what I might like.
I've managed to "collect" more bits for my camera than comfortably fit in the Olympus Street Case M
So I need something a little bigger, but not that much bigger.
Before I just ask for the Olympus Street Case L are there any other recommendations for a small shoulder bag/messenger that will accommodate this gear?

Olympus PEN lite E-PL5 body
14-55mm kit lens (not pancake)
40-150mm telephoto lens
17mm pancake lens
45mm F1.8 lens
Holga 25mm lens (about the same size as the 17mm)
VF4 detachable viewfinder
PEN detachable flash (tiny)
A couple of memory cards
"Selfie" stick

Ideally I'd prefer not to have a black nylon bag with a massive logo but I don't want to go as far as this either http://www.7dayshop.com/camera-bags...ital-compact-camera-case-hipster-material-red

ThinkTank Retrospective or Citywalker series? They come in various sizes.

Slingshot 202 would probably do, or the 303 if you need something a bit larger.

I'm interested in a new bag too after a trip out earlier in the week.
However I would ask, do you need all that kit? Yea i know the old adage of rather have it and not need it... but i took my gear out the other day to test my ef 2x iii. I was more than happy with my 70-200mm and took most other things out of my bag

So now i'm thinking i want case just to hold my 7d ii, 70-200 and ef 2x iii

However I would ask, do you need all that kit? Yea i know the old adage of rather have it and not need it... but i took my gear out the other day to test my ef 2x iii. I was more than happy with my 70-200mm and took most other things out of my bag

All his kit together is smaller than your lens ;)

Would it all fit in one of these as I should have one for sale soon ;)

Olympus Shop - OM-D Messenger Leather Bag - Accessories - PEN / OM-D
Not super keen on that design but it's a lot better than a black nylon sack.
Not sure how much you might be looking for or indeed if my partner would be happy to buy a "new" used bag off the forums. Please give me a prod @AMc when you list it.

ThinkTank Retrospective or Citywalker series? They come in various sizes.
Even the Citywalker 10 looks quite large 31.5 x 23 x 17 cm but it's all relative.
The Retrospective 5 looks quite good. 25.5 x 21.5 x 15 cm

Agreed, ThinkTank Retrospective, Domke are also nice.
Domke F-5XB Shoulder and Belt Bag looks quite interesting. 25.4 x 11.4 x 18.4 cm

Slingshot 202 would probably do, or the 303 if you need something a bit larger.
Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'm looking for a messenger bag rather than a shoulder sling.

One nice thing about the Street Case M is I can put it on over my shoulder and under my jacket and it's very unobtrusive which is good in cities and on public transport. Wandered around Montmartre without worry about my gear while people tried to sell us stolen smart phones on the street.

Need? No. In fact I can squeeze it all into the Street Case M which is only height 16cm, width 17cm, depth 10cm. I probably will stick with the M for most day trips out but it would be nice to have everything to hand when we're away overnight but in a bag that I don't feel conspicous dragging around.

This is everything packed into the M~

photo 1 (Small).JPG

This is "everything" out of the bag - it would be nice not to have the pancake under the telephoto in the main body and the EVF and flash shoved into the front pocket with the 14-42mm and the memory cards. So I guess I want one more lens slot in the main section and better organisation in the front.

photo 3 (Small).JPG

Aren't camera bags expensive? I begin to understand how my partner can spend £100 on a handbag :)

The F stop looks a bit big - it's so hard to tell from the dimensions though.

Browsing on Amazon at the Domke it's suggesting
Lowepro Event Messenger 150 [15.7 x 34.3 x 26.7 cm]
Tamrac Apache 2 [25 x 15 x 19 cm]
Hmmmm

Not super keen on that design but it's a lot better than a black nylon sack.
Not sure how much you might be looking for or indeed if my partner would be happy to buy a "new" used bag off the forums. Please give me a prod @AMc when you list it.
Will do :)

Aren't camera bags expensive? I begin to understand how my partner can spend £100 on a handbag :)

Interesting question..... I was having this debate with a mate of mine when were out a couple of weeks ago. He mentioend he was looking for a new bag to take all his Nikon gear (at the moment he can't fit it all into his Lowepro backpack (can't remember the model, but I think the smallest of their "proper" backpacks).

I suggested something like the PhotoTrekker - I used one when I had a shed-load of Canon stuf. He blanched at the price and said he was looking at a "normal" backpack for £40-50. I mentioend the amount of padding and hence protection in the Lowepro, and that given that he was about to load it with £3-4k-worth of kit, the relative cost was peanuts - less than the price of the compact he carts around!

I think adding "camera" in front of "bag" has the same effect as putting "wedding" in front of "flowers" etc. suddenly you've become a self qualified sucker ;)
I agree there is no point in putting £1000's of camera gear in a tesco bag but some of the prices seem out of proportion. Has a £130 bag had £100 worth of extra materials and manufacturing over a £30 one?
A lot of this is subjective and without being able to touch and feel it's hard to work out if you're paying for a double stitched, super rugged, waterproof, padded bag or for it having a logo on the front. Hence asking for recommendations.

FWIW the Street Case M I have has been used solidly for 2 years and isn't showing any wear and tear at all - it's £15 here Olympus PEN Street Case M

I think adding "camera" in front of "bag" has the same effect as putting "wedding" in front of "flowers" etc. suddenly you've become a self qualified sucker ;)
I agree there is no point in putting £1000's of camera gear in a tesco bag but some of the prices seem out of proportion. Has a £130 bag had £100 worth of extra materials and manufacturing over a £30 one?
A lot of this is subjective and without being able to touch and feel it's hard to work out if you're paying for a double stitched, super rugged, waterproof, padded bag or for it having a logo on the front. Hence asking for recommendations.

FWIW the Street Case M I have has been used solidly for 2 years and isn't showing any wear and tear at all - it's £15 here Olympus PEN Street Case M

Yeah and it also works so well with your Little Boy Blue Sailor Suit you wear when out shooting Street Photography..... :devil:

Is that one of the other suits you give to folk after you've groomed them? :devil:
Yeah and it also works so well with your Little Boy Blue Sailor Suit you wear when out shooting Street Photography..... :devil:

Jim has a problem with the Olympus Street Case styling. I've seen him take the mickey like this before. Personally I don't think it's that offensive or I wouldn't carry it about. I certainly prefer a mini PanAm carry on with my camera in it to a massive black nylon bag covered with zips, toggles, buckles and straps (oooerrr!).
I'm still amazed that no one picked up on the bag I linked in the first post - it burnt my eyes more than looking at the eclipse this morning!

Jim has a problem with the Olympus Street Case styling. I've seen him take the mickey like this before. Personally I don't think it's that offensive or I wouldn't carry it about. I certainly prefer a mini PanAm carry on with my camera in it to a massive black nylon bag covered with zips, toggles, buckles and straps (oooerrr!).
I'm still amazed that no one picked up on the bag I linked in the first post - it burnt my eyes more than looking at the eclipse this morning!

You're right - I do - I admit it - in fact I got one free and have never used it and don't intend to - just keeping it safe to bundle in when I next sell a camera :)

And then there is tripods that cost as much as a professional dslr!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom