Another First Time Builder Seeking Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Nexus21, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Nexus21

Nexus21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :hiya:Hi, My old Pentium 4 PC is on its last legs and i've decided to replace it with a HTPC. I'm not interested in gaming, just the playback of dvd's and video files along with the usual emails and web browsing. I've looked at lots of posts on the forum and have come up with the following list of Components and was looking for advice regarding compatability etc.

Case: Antec NSK 2480
    Mobo: Abit Fatality F-I90hd
    Processor: Intel Core Duo E2160
    Memory: Corsair 2GB DDR" Value Select PC5300CS
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA II
    Optical Drive: NEC AD7170A DVD RW Dual Layer

Total Cost £320.00 Approx

I plan to use the HTPC with my Toshiba 32C3030 LCD TV so I will need a wireless keyboard, any recommendations?
    For now I will be using XP Home and Mediaportal for my software needs.

Are my Specs ok? Have I missed anything? As I say this is my first build so please be gentle!:)

2. Leslie999

Leslie999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you just want to play DVDs and video files this spec should be fine. You could cut the ram to 1GB if you want to save some money, but if you will be editing or converting video files between formats the extra ram will be useful.

You may also want to check forums relating to your TV to see if people have issues connecting to PCs. Some combinations of video cards and TVs are hard to setup with the optimum resolution, and of course you should connect it via HDMI.

Choose a keyboard that you find comfortable to hold and you can pick up and put down without accidentally pressing keys... assuming you will be sitting on your sofa with it.