Another excel question

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning all. I'm using excel 2010 and windows 10. I'm trying to link two cells together without any success.

I've tried different things that I've found on a google search, but still can't do it.

my ultimate aim is to join the complete columns but it's not something I've ever done before.

Can anyone help please.

Hi, this may sound strange as it’s likely I won’t be around to answer but, others may have asked this.

What do you mean by link two cell‘s
Can you give the values of the two cells and
An idea of what you are looking to achieve

Hi @MSW, I'm looking to combine c2 to d2 with the ultimate aim of joining the c column to the d column.

Sorry but I always get the terminology wrong as I wasn't brought up with excel.

= c2 & d2

that will join the two cells together in their simplest form (if they are both text)

But the description of what you are trying to finish a bit vague

merge cells?

merge.jpg

= c2 & d2

that will join the two cells together in their simplest form (if they are both text)

But the description of what you are trying to finish a bit vague
I tried to put pictures of the two spread sheets I'm working on with no success, but as @hippy240980 has said I wish to merge cells. But what I'd like to do in the end is merge column B with column C.

I'll try your formula first.

Edit. OK that works, many thanks.

Is there any way I can do the same with the whole column as there are 190089 lines which would take a long time to do individualy :( :rotfl:

Thanks for you help so far.

Last edited:
If you merge cells then you usually lose data in one of the cells but you can as @GarethP join them together.

If you want then just that column and nothing else.

Select the column or cells you want then, copy either via the menu or CTRL + C.
Then use Paste and then select the values only option.
That will remove the formula
You can then delete the original two columns leaving you the one merged column

Still a bit unclear on the ask.

Just to add merging cells unless you are doing it for layout reasons isn't the best of ideas when trying to use formulas.

If you merge cells then you usually lose data in one of the cells but you can as @GarethP join them together.

If you want then just that column and nothing else.

Select the column or cells you want then, copy either via the menu or CTRL + C.
You can then delete the original two columns leaving you the one merged column

Still a bit unclear on the ask.
I'm sorry but I find it hard to explain, this is the doner spread sheet.
250003​
R0BB24DX ClubOmskRussiaNone
250006​
R0BB24DX ClubOmskRussiaNone
1023001​
VE3THWWayneEdwardTorontoOntarioCanadaDMR
1023002​
VA3ECMMathieuGouletOttawa-HullQuebecCanadaCCS7
1023003​
VE3QCGuyCharronGloucesterOntarioCanadaCCS7
1023006​
VA3UZAllan TimothyHarveySpartaOntarioCanadaDMR
1023007​
VA3BOCHans JuergenBockholtCornwallOntarioCanada
1023008​
VE3JMRMarkNiagara FallsOntarioCanadaDMR
1023009​
VA3AMORolandoPartoScarboroughOntarioCanadaDMR
1023010​
VA3AMORolandoPartoScarboroughOntarioCanadaDMR
1023014​
VA3DBDianeBruceNepeanOntarioCanadaDMR
1023016​
VE3IAOJohn ChristensenChristensenAlmonteOntarioCanadaDMR
1023017​
VA3MSVJohnVisserLondonOntarioCanadaDMR
1023018​
VA3BTQJacqualine MayNormanNestleton StationOntarioCanadaDMR
1023019​
VA3BTQJacqualine MayNormanNestleton StationOntarioCanadaDMR
1023020​
VE3ZXNDenisJakacBradfordOntarioCanadaDMR
1023021​
VE3ZXNDenisJakacBradfordOntarioCanadaDMR
1023023​
VA3TDGDougBaxterSudburyOntarioCanadaDMR
1023025​
VA3ZDXGregory KGreenAilsa CraigOntarioCanadaDMR
1023026​
VE3ELXDavid B.BohanLondonOntarioCanadaDMR
1023028​
VA3APIKevinBousquetBurlingtonOntarioCanadaDMR
1023029​
VA3NSCDavid BSangwinPort PerryOntarioCanadaDMR
1023030​
VE3OZTAlexanderBlaisKitchenerOntarioCanadaDMR
1023031​
VA3PMRPerry MarvinRubinThornhillOntarioCanadaDMR
1023032​
VE3TJDTeddDodaPetersburgOntarioCanadaDMR
1023033​
VE3YESAndrew JamesMossCaledonOntarioCanadaDMR
1023034​
VE3KPBPaulBeckerOshawaOntarioCanadaDMR
What I'd like to do is merge column 2 (B) with column 3 (C) as the spread sheet is different, but I need this for my radio so I can read the transmitting stations details.

Recipient spread sheet
Contact NameCall TypeCall ID
TG1 WW
1​
1​
TG2 Europe
1​
2​
TG9 Local
1​
9​
TG13 WW
1​
13​
TG80 UK
1​
80​
TG81 UK
1​
81​
TG82 UK
1​
82​
TG83 UK
1​
83​
TG84 UK
1​
84​
TG113 WW
1​
113​
TG119 WW
1​
119​
TG123 WW
1​
123​
TG129 WW
1​
129​
TG235 UK Wide
1​
235​
TG801 SE ENG
1​
801​
TG802 SE ENG
1​
802​
TG810 SW ENG
1​
810​
TG820 NW ENG
1​
820​
TG830 MIDS
1​
830​
TG840 E ENG
1​
840​
TG850 SCOT
1​
850​
TG860 NE ENG
1​
860​
TG870 WAL
1​
870​
TG880 N.EIRE
1​
880​
TG9990 Echo
1​
9990​
TG2351 Wires X
1​
2351​
G6IZI Andy
2​
2352088​
G3SDH Paul
2​
2352379​
M6NNK Paul
2​
2342369​
M3GRY Graham
2​
2343418​
As shown column 1 (A) on the recipient sheet is a combination of column 2 and 3 on the donor.

I hope that helps.

Think so so in that case should just be

Insert a new column so it is in column D,

Then type into the cell D2 (Assume there is a header row on D1)

=B2 & " " & C2

including the equals sign.

Then either drag the formula down using the + button when you highlight cell D2. If you double click it should fill the rest of the table in assuming no gaps. Alternatively copy the formula down for however many rows you have.

Then select the column D or cells you want then, copy either via the menu or CTRL + C.
You can then delete the original two columns leaving you the one "merged" column

=B2 & " " & C2

Then either drag the formula down using the + button when you highlight cell D2. If you double click it should fill the rest of the table in assuming no gaps. Alternatively copy the formula down for however many rows you have.

Then select the column D or cells you want then, copy either via the menu or CTRL + C.
You can then delete the original two columns leaving you the one "merged" column
@ChuckMountain, many thanks. I'll give it a try and let you and the other posters if it works.

I thought a picture would explain it a lot better than I could. :thumbsup:

=B2 & " " & C2

It's a bit unclear, but I think the OP is using a different sheet for the merged cells, so there's no need to insert a column in the donor sheet.

Also, pasting values removes the ability to absorb changes. I would leave the formulas intact unless there's a good reason not to.

It's a bit unclear, but I think the OP is using a different sheet for the merged cells, so there's no need to insert a column in the donor sheet.

Also, pasting values removes the ability to absorb changes. I would leave the formulas intact unless there's a good reason not to.

Yes agree with you and there are a number of ways of doing it.

The reason I suggested pasting values is only so he can remove the original columns that they are formed from. If not and he leaves the original columns no need for this step.

@DPinBucks, as you said, I'm going to copy and paste as they're in different columns in the recipient spreadsheet.

@ChuckMountain, I don't think I'll need to remove any columns once the cells and columns are combined.

But you never know I may (possibly) be back asking for more help.

I've done a lot of copy-paste from one spreadsheet to another and never had a problem once I found out how to do it, but this defeated me.

If you are copying text then from one to another spreadsheet and want to merge columns then you would need to do it before or after you can't normally combine them in the pasting.

I appreciated that which is why I wanted to do them on the doner spreadsheet. If I do make a muck up it doesn't matter as I have the master copy on file or if I notice it straight away I can control-z.

But thanks for the warning anyway.

@ChuckMountain, thank you so much. I've just managed to sit down and try, success first time:clap:

I'll drag all the way down now then copy and paste into the other spreadsheet.

Hi Guys

After the success of joining columns into one, again thanks. I now have another question.

Again apologies if I don't explain it very well, what I'd like to do is take the newly formulated column and copy it to another excel sheet. I'm writing code plugs for different radios and they all have different systems,

I've tried several ways but I always end up with the new columns displaying hashRef. I guess this is because I'm taking the finalized column away from the donor columns and it has no reference.

The first picture shows the finalized column where I've joined Callsign, First name and last name into one column, I used 3 steps to do this.

The second picture shows what I get when I try to transfer this to another sheet.

Can anyone tell me how to do this correctly please. Many thanks.
CALLSIGNFIRST_NAMELAST_NAMECITYSTATECOUNTRY
VE3THWWayneEdwardTorontoOntarioCanadaWayne EdwardVE3THW Wayne Edward
Call NumberCall TypeCall IDCall Receive
#REF!​

If you want callid to work, then I think you just want to past values.
Or you could link to the cell with the concatenated values in with =, then navigating to that sheet or workbook, find the cell you need , click on it and press enter

If you are getting a #ref then there is an issue with the formula and you may have cut a referenced cell rather than copied.

Don't bother copying it from one sheet to another as Parsnip says just do the concatenate so if your blank cells are A2 and B2 then in C2 (where you #Ref) just type =A2 & " " & B2 and hit return. That way you end up with them joined and a space in between (assuming you want one)

Sorry, as I said I don't explain things very well, I need to take to a different sheet as the headings are different. In the first picture there are 3 different columns which I need to combine then transfer them to a different sheet where they're in a different place as are all the other columns.

I don't need the donor columns in the new sheet.

So if the data is already there and in the right order is it just a case of copying and pasting but the latter you do a paste special and values only. That brings just the values across and not the formulas.

That sounds just what I want, any tips on how to do it please.

I've never been taught on excel and have managed to work most things out but some things I need help on.

Just mentioned your reply to my Wife who said she knows what that is:facepalm:But she couldn't figure out a way to do it this morning.

I'll give it a try, if I can't do it I'll repost.

Thanks again @ParsnipSoup and @ChuckMountain for your help:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Copy what you want and right click on the destination cells and under paste options you will see a clipboard with a little 123 on it, try that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom