Another excel question

That sounds just what I want, any tips on how to do it please.

I've never been taught on excel and have managed to work most things out but some things I need help on.
Highlight the cells to copy
Right click
Copy
Highlight where the first cell will go to
right click
paste options
values (has a 123 on the icon)

Loads of vidoes out there that will give you an intro to excel.

Copy what you want and right click on the destination cells and under paste options you will see a clipboard with a little 123 on it, try that.
I've just seen your reply, thanks for clarifying.

I've got a zoom meeting in a minute but will try this afternoon.

Highlight the cells to copy
Right click
Copy
Highlight where the first cell will go to
right click
paste options
values (has a 123 on the icon)

Loads of vidoes out there that will give you an intro to excel.
I find the trouble is as you've seen I'm not very good at writing what I want, so find I have problems with searches. Different for things I know about.

Thanks again, I'll print the replies so I've a hard copy.

As @ParsnipSoup says, just use "=[Cell with 'VE3THW Wayne Edward' in it]"

You can use "=" in formulas across workbooks.

Alternatively, again as he says, copy and paste Values.

The advantage of the first is that it automatically updates with any changes made in the source cells. Its disadvantage is that it is dependent on all the links and workbooks not changing (eg, if the source workbook changes name or location). I would always go for this method if at all practicable.

On the other hand, if it's just a one-off exercise, pasting values is the best approach, but it will be difficult to maintain if things change frequently.

Thanks to all who replied, it worked :clap: and I've learnt something else today.

Now to finish the code plug and check it in the radio.

I and my group thank you as it looks like I've been nominated the official codeplug writer:( I do enjoy the challenge especially when it's fed into the radio and works out of the box.

Glad you got it sorted

While we are on the subject of Excel, I cannot for the life of me get my head around pivot tables

Fine with stuff like Vlookups, Mail merges but pivot tables baffle me, to be honest I don't even get the point of them

I have tried looking up explanations about them online and I have done a couple of excel courses in the past, for some reason I get a total mindblock on pivot tables, would like to put them into Room 101

Glad you got it sorted

While we are on the subject of Excel, I cannot for the life of me get my head around pivot tables

Fine with stuff like Vlookups, Mail merges but pivot tables baffle me, to be honest I don't even get the point of them

I have tried looking up explanations about them online and I have done a couple of excel courses in the past, for some reason I get a total mindblock on pivot tables, would like to put them into Room 101
They can be a very good tool to summarise large data sets, for example showing total sales by month.

Pivot tables can be a very useful tool for analysing big tables. It's like nesting up a load of VLOOKUP and SUMIFS all together, looking up based on both the column header and the row labels, and even multiple row labels to get sub-totals if you need them.

Don't put them into room 101, one of my major monthly analysis tasks is almost pain free now that I have a set of pivot tables set up so I can place the data in the form I get it at one end and then it churns through and I get the data in the form that the boss wants to see out of the other end.

Glad you got it sorted

As above Pivot tables are all about higher level analysis - summarizing and aggregating data.

A vlookup will give you a precise value - find the sales of employee xyz
A pivot table/chart will give you the total sales by quarter, broken down by region - for example

Glad you got it sorted

Unless you need to use them in a work context, it is a bit too theoretical.
Also excel does too much work for you so you don't grapple with it enough if you use later versions. Whereas 97 gave a better grounding.

Copy what you want and right click on the destination cells and under paste options you will see a clipboard with a little 123 on it, try that.
And if you want to speed things up you can do the "paste as values" bit very easily using just the keyboard. Select the destination cell. Hold down the left Alt key and press, in succession, E, S then V (which all fall nicely under one hand). Let go and press Enter.

(Alt-E = "Office Access Keys", Alt+S = "Paste Special", Alt+V = "Values". Enter is then the default action "OK".)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom