Another EOS 400 D question

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Just call me Al, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I was comparing pictures of my friends Camera a Nikon D200 & My Canon EOS 400D. My Pixels Width & Hight are 3888 X 2592. His Pixels are 3872 X 2592 so much the same. However the DPI is very different. My pictures are all 72 DPI. His are all 300 DPI. Why aren't mine the same? My picture setting is highest quality & fine. My card says about 450 pictures can be taken on a 2 Gig card. His says about 200. Help.

2. Coolhand

Coolhand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    DPI isn't really relevant here, what's important are the pixel dimensions. The DPI is only really of interest when you're looking to print.

As for the file size differences - are you both shooting JPG or is your friend shooting RAW?

3. braiden

braiden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Id say you are shooting In Large jpeg if you are getting that may images on a two gig card. If you shoot in raw you will probably get around half the images you are getting now

4. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Sounds like he's shooting RAW.

5. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    The Nikon file sizes will always be bigger because they inherently contain more noise.

:eek: :laugh:

<runs for cover>

6. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    We are both shooting in Jpeg. We both have higest quality setting. I will want to print. I still don't understand why if the pixels are much the same that if we print it would seem from what your saying, that he will get better pictures than mine. My faithfull Panasonic DMC TZ1 is also 72 DPI. Does that mean that printed pictures on my Canon will be no better than my 5MP Panasonic. Are all cameras 72 DPI other than the D200 & maybe a few top cameras?

7. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I used to have a Nikon E3700. Basic 3.2 MP camera, & althought the pixels are 2048 X 1536 the DPI is again 300 DPI. maybe it's something to do with Nikon.

8. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Pixels are pixels. What DPI you print at is another story.

Nikon D200 uncompressed RAW files are about 12MB, and jpg fine are about 3.8Mb (ish). Your friend should be AT LEAST 500 jpg fine on a 2GB card, so someones getting their wires crossed somewhere.

9. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Nah, it's the layer of Canon plasticoat (tm) over 400D images that makes compression easier. ;)

10. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126

I have looked at other photo's taken on his D200 & they are abour 3.8 ish & so are mine. We are both taking pictures with jpeg. The information I've given is from the 'properties' of the relavant pictures. The picture of his I first spoke of is of a night sky so a lot of balck, maybe that may be why it's a high MB. However it's this DPI that I'm concerned about.

11. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    If you both shoot RAW at similar Mp , your images will scale very identically. The dpi shown is not very impt as the images ( probably similar file size) dont contain widely varying amts of "picture data"
    Although we tend not to stress out on pixels, the 10Mp image from the Canon is a whole lot closer to the Nikons than the 5MP Pannys

A similar scene taken RAW would show them ( the Nikon and Canon) to be much closer in file size

12. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    The dpi is pretty meaningless. What figure your image editing software reports is either due to your software or the EXIF data - you have 3872x2592 pixels regardless of this. At 300 dpi that's a 33x22cm image. At 72dpi that would be 136x91cm!!!

I notice that my D200 is also producing 300dpi jpgs by default (though according to Thom Hogan is normally does 72. However, a simple resize in Paint Shop Pro to 100&#37; but at 72dpi changes it to read the same as yours if it makes you feel any better ;)

I must admit to normally just setting PSP to scale to fit the page when I print, and leave it to sort it out, but I suppose it might give better results if I resize the image by hand and set to the optimum printer dpi *shrugs*