Another "DVD recorder" thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sheks, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

I am considering the purchase of a Panasonic RAM/-R recorder, but have a couple of questions (that a search through the forum didn't answer).

One of my priorities is too transfer DV and Hi-8 from my camcorders, so I will need an i-link connection (for DV) and S-Vid (for Hi-8). I understand this limits me to only a couple of RAM/-R recorders:
    HS2 and E60 (??)

I have also seen the new Tosh is coming out soon (the one with the HDD), but can find no reference to it having an i-link connection.

Can any HS2 and/or E60 owners comment on using the i-link connection with regards quality of transfer and ease of use?

Can any HS2 owners comment on the editing facility advantages with the inbuilt HDD, ease of use etc?

The HS2 appears to be heavily discounted these days, I assume that a new model will be shortly making an appearance, should I wait for this or will it be £800-£900 again upon release?

If I bought a Ram/-R recorder without HDD would I be able to edit on RAM media within the recorder, what limitations would this have? I would consider buying a cheapo standalone RAM player so that I could rerecord the edited RAM DVD to -R.

Thanks, in advance, for answers to any of these questions.

Colin

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The HS2 is very good on Dv transfer. The only advantage I can see from waiting for the new model, or the Tosh, is a bigger HD.

Editing is simple and quick, although of course not as extensive as a PC based system offers. Editing on the HD is identical to editing on a RAM disc so you could do on a RAM disc everything you can do on the HD, but having both in the same machine gives much greater flexibility.

Unless your on a tight budget I can't see any reason to buy the non-HD machines.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    The HS2 is a top piece of kit. There is a new model on the way which will have a bigger HDD but the functionality of the machine will not be altered. Most people use the HDD for editting and not long term storage so size isn't that important here.

There are a number of ways to copy editted RAM disks to DVD-R. The best solution is PC based. You copy the files across, demux them etc and author in a DVD programme. Quite complex but top results. The alternative is to purchase a RAM player like the Panasonic S35 or S75. Obviously you loose some quality doing this and I'm not sure how satisfactory the results are.

4. jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for asking a daft question- I assume you need a pc dvd recorder drive that recognises and reads DVDRAM discs and I assume most DVD-R/RW or +R/RW units in PCs eg pioneer 105 will not read RAM discs - am I right.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Yes you will need a drive capable of reading DVD-RAM disks. The DVD writers capable of this are the models from Panasonic, Hitachi and LG (all read and write to DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R). A DVD+RW drive will not be able to read DVD-RAM disks.

If you already have a DVD burner then a cheap upgrade to a Panasonic or Toshiba DVD-ROM drive will enable you read DVD-RAM disks.