Another dunce needing help choosing!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by robbie red, Jan 16, 2008.

Tags:
  1. robbie red

robbie red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks. Been trawling the Net, these pages especially, and really feel I may just have to leave my choice of telly up to you lot. My head hurts taking in all the information out there!!!!!!

I'm after a 37" lcd to upgrade a 32"crt. Space restrictions stopping me from going bigger!!!!!

Here goes, trying to decide between this lot (PLEASE HELP ME :confused: )

Incidentally, I'll be using it for sd material (Sky+ and dvd).

SONY KDL37P3020U
    TOSHIBA 37C3035
    PHILIPS 37PFL5522D
    SHARP LC37AD5E
    LG 37LC55

Thanks guys for taking the time to read (and hopefully help me).

Cheers, Robbie.

2. JDM121

JDM121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats your budget?

3. robbie red

robbie red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope someone can pick up on this thread tomorrow. Got called away shortly after posting. Sorry!

Have saw the above tellys on sale ranging from the LG @ £679 to the Tosh @ £849.

Have read quite a bit on all the above so just needing some advice to finally tip me towards my purchase.

Thanks again guys, Robbie.

4. robbie red

robbie red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No-one able to push me in the right direction? :lease: I just can't decide!!!

5. kevin_irl

kevin_irl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I would recommend the Samsung LE37M87BD. Im getting one in a few weeks:clap: Its 1080p and has a contrast ratio of 8,000:1. From my experience, Samsung lcd's produce an excellent HD picture.

6. tomo28

tomo28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    if you get the 40" its only like 30 - 40 quid more from dixons and its 15000:1 ratio

749.99 from dixons (promo code PR25)

7. robbie red

robbie red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest not sure if I'll be going full hd at any time in the near future. Presently quite content with my sd stuff so really looking a tv that is good at handling that. Cheers guys, any more info?

8. tomo28

tomo28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...ls#PANASONIC:600:3600:PageNo_0:SortOrder_DOWN

try looking at these plasmas, the panasonic px70's are supposed to be really good on SD.

Dont forget the promo code PR25, to knock 25 quid off :smashin:

9. robbie red

robbie red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again thanks guys. I might just check that out later. Still no-one with any views on my original choices?

10. simonwebb74

simonwebb74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the LG 37LC55, I am still messing around with the picture settings but so far very pleased with it and I only paid £480 for it which seems like a good price.

Incidentaly, I don't know what the model numbers were but I was comparing the LG with the equilivant Philips, Toshiba & Samsung in Comet at the weekend, and they all appeared to be very similar with the exception of the blacks being far blacker on the LG than any of the others especially the Samsung.

I am no expert, just my humble opinion!

Good Luck with your choice :thumbsup:

11. robbie red

robbie red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Simon. Didn't think anyone was going to step in to help. Have been looking at the LG, probably because of price if I'm honest. Read quite a bit on all of my choices and it's fair to say they all get mixed reviews. I guess it's a case of taking the plunge!! The only real negative i can see mentioned on the LG is a backlight bleed but then again it's not an uncommon problem on other lcd tellys.

Simon, I'll be using sd material on my tv (Sky+ and dvd player). Have you tested it out on sd material (including its inbuilt Freeview)? Was wondering about its ability to handle motion etc.

Maybe you could post your settings when you get those sorted.

Thank you for stepping up to the plate for me, I most definitely look forward to your further input. Robbie.

12. Fatwaz

Fatwaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the best SD pics ive seen on a flat screen tv were from the panasonic px70 plasma.superb and amazon doing it for 600 odd last i looked

13. sniffer316

sniffer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    IMHO the best 2 37 at the moment are the th37px70 which is plasma or the TX37lzd70 which is lcd and are both made by panasonic.:thumbsup:

14. richiej

richiej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks for that Simon.

I'm just about to take the plunge, and like Robbie, I'm very tempted by the LG, again mainly because of the price. If nothing is going to be perfect, I might as well go cheap and save myself a couple of hundred pounds.

And... yes they all do all look very similar in the stores.

37" LG at Dixons is £480. Take it above £499 (I'm in need of a new keyboard and mouse, but might go for an upscaling DVD player), and the code PR25 will take £25 off, go in via Egg and use your Egg card and get another 3% instant cash back. That's a 37" LCD tv for less than £450 :eek:

15. varkanoid

varkanoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    DigitalDirect.co.uk have got the Toshiba 37C3035 in at £501. Bargain ! I've ordered one. I heard the LG is not very good and to steer clear. Homecinemachoice mag dont seem to rate the LG's. An ex manager of Comet also told me LG's are pants. Samsung is a very good one too.

16. Kris_Stuart69

Kris_Stuart69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I can find the LE37M87BD at the best price? :lease:.

I have been looking for a new TV for a little while now and I have decided on this one as it seems to do everything I was looking for. I was initially looking for a 32 inch TV until I released they don't do FULL HD (1080p). I have therefore decided on a 37 inch and the Samsung LE37M87BD seems to be the one. Only downfall I can find is the price. So if anyone could direct me to a good price it would be very appreciated.

17. CJL

CJL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Havent got experince of any of the TV's listed, however....:rotfl:

Have had a Toshiba CRT 28" in our lounge for 6.5 years now, with no problems at all.
    Recently also tried a number of 19" LCD's. LG was one, which was good. But out of a total of 4-5 different brands, ended with the Toshiba. Best Picture and sound quality for me.

18. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Hi,

Is it me or have we got two posters with the same idea on this thread?

Anyway;Sorry,dont like Toshiba,they dont do blacks dark enough for me and the frames are just a bit chunky.
    The LG never scores very highly with reviewers and the philips mentioned got slated.

Choice really is down to the Panasonic and the Samsung 37m87.this latter is full HD and a quick trawl on Kelkoo shows BE Direct have it at £678.50 delivered which seems like a good price.
    The Pansonic lzd70 is on sale with Sound and Vision online at £799

The choice is yours,try the price comparison sites like Kelkoo,Pricerunner Pricegrabber,there are others and see what you think.

Good Luck,

KH