1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another DTS thread!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cityonfire, Sep 7, 2004.

1. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you watch the credits of most modern movies now. And lets just pick the first Matrix film for now. Right at the end of those credits you get a little logo saying DTS "in selected theaters" So why don't we get the option of a DTS track with all the films that have that nice little logo at the end of there credits?

2. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it, cinema-DTS and homevideo-DTS are not the same, so one does not follow the other automatically, as might be expected.

Probably also many other issues to consider, like tradeoff between using the space on the DVDs for extras and/or other languages, instead of a DTS track.

Cheers,
    Erling

3. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Warner brothers decided some time ago they wouldn't release any discs with DTS soundtracks. They did release a few R1 titles a few years ago, but stopped.

No idea why though...
    :confused:

4. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    They stopped because arcording to Warner Bro engineers, there was no real difference between dd + dts, so they could'nt see the point in releasing dts.

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check True Romance and Robin Hood Prince of Theives out, DTS is included on films Warner distributes if the director or releasing company ask for it, in this case Morgan Creek.

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    That seems a bit arbitrary.

Why not leave out the DD and just have a DTS track instead?

Why leave in the DD?

7. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this box open a while so if somebody has said this first my apologies...

All DVDs have to have Dolby Digital Sound as standard to meet with DVD specifications, or something like that.

Personally I think there should be a choice

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It costs money to have a DTS track on a disc as well as a Dolby Digital and in view of the fact that DTS only appeals to a small minority of people it doesn't seem worth while. Don't forget that the vast majority of people have their DVD player connected directly to the TV and are probably only watching in stereo anyway.

All discs have to have a Dolby Digital soundtrack as it is part of the agreed spec for DVDs but DTS is just an option.

9. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for comments guys. Still if all the film studios can be bothered to pay for the lisence to have DTS in what is probaly a very small amount of cinemas you would think they would pay for the bigger DVD titles to have DTS to give everyone the option of which to listen to.

10. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree more DVDs should come with DTS especially nowadays with two-disc or even three disc releases. How often do they even release full bit rate DTS soundtracks these days anyway? Not very often! Most DVDs comes supplied with half Bit rate so space can't be an issue any more.

I know a lot of people watch DVDs in stereo but what percentage of those people have large collections? I doubt very many. Whereas most people on here with DTS and Dolby digital decoders have anything from 100 - 800 DVDs in their collection!

11. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    DTS is going forward big style, it's catching on. Anyone I know that has a home system are always commenting that it's far better in terms of quality and clarity (as you all know). Compare T2 Ultimate Edition R2 DTSes with the DDex Soundtrack. It blows you away and this is a great reference disc as in my opinion there's nothing forced soundwise like in some movies with either format DD/DTS which can be a little synthetic.

DTS is far better, but of course like DD some for example action movies hit the spot and some don't. XXX DTS Superbit is another fine example of the sound format over its conterpart!

I don't think DVD-Audio would have the same market if not for DTS Entertainment.

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not everybody thinks that dts is better than Dolby Digital you know...and what has DVD audio got to do with dts...? :confused: If you're refering to 96/24 discs, I think there 3 at the last count, and they can be played on no DVD audio enabled players...

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Forget the extras I want DTS!
    All DVD players and amps support it so theres no excuse. Get rid of the DD.

However. Not everybody has a 5.1 set up.
    DTS only works if you have at least 5 speakers. Whereas DD works with only 2 speakers so this could be why DD is always a standard but DTS is not.

14. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Extras are nice but at the end of the day I just want the best possible AV because you watch the film over and over again, whereas the extras usually only get watched once.

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will probaly solve these problems as a single layer disk has enough space for a full on 3 hour movie plus all the extras AND DTS/DD!
    With NO LAYER CHANGE!!!!
    And a higer bit rate!

Blu-ray will be our salvation!

16. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    DTS is going forward big style, it's catching on. Anyone I know that has a home system are always commenting that it's far better in terms of quality and clarity (as you all know).

Pleae don't presume for all off us! Many people who prefer to use their ears rather than blindly follow the DTS hype bandwagan feel there is little or no difference and you can count on a single hand the number of superior DTS vs. DD examples.

17. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Interesting, as that's not the case with DVD-Audio. I have a couple which have only a DTS alternative to the DVD-A track.

18. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simon, I guess they have different standards for DVD audio? Or maybe it isn't strictly a DVD audio as some CDs have only DTS (I think?) and as such aren't strictly CDs.

I have a few American/Canadian DVDs which only have Dolby Digital 2.0 sound and a DTS soundtrack. It's kind of weird not having a Dolby Digital 5.1 on the same DVD! You have to wonder since they haven't put the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack on the disc why isn't there a full Bit rate DTS soundtrack to take advantage of the space on the DVD? Or even a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack?

19. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Dolby Digital 2.0 track won't necessarilly take up less space than a 5.1 track.
    You'll probably find that the dts tracks on those discs are full bit rate. In the early days of DVD, full bit rate dts DVD's were issued along with a Dolby Digital 2.0 track on the same disc. I have about a dozen of them myself - The Flintstones, Dantes Peak, Daylight, Last Of The Mohicans, Apollo 13 to name but a few.

20. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    Yeah! Like in Jaws, Terminator 3, XLG, Underworld, Predator, Most of the Anchor Bay releases, Speed, Dragonheart, Close Encounters etc.
    All were simply amazing in DTS. :rotfl:

21. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaws, Speed, Underworld and Terminator 3 all sounded better to me with DTS engaged but then its a matter of personal opinion and ears.