Another DIY Screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Colonel Burton, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all i've made a screen before but i want to make this one smaller and to the correct aspection ratio so my questionn is this what size MDF board would i need for a 16.9, 92" inch diagonal viewing area and allowing extra for a 2" inch boarder? just want to get this right before i get it cut. Cheers for any help as always

2. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +750
    Hi. Closest std size is 8' x 4', if you're going cut to measure: 47" x 84".....which is pretty much 7' x 4'.

3. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers for the reply mate, i'm now torn between going with the 16.9 ratio or the 2.35:1 ratio my media is mainly made up of about half of both, any thoughts on which ratio screen to go with? cheers again

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Why not go for 16:9 then have a strip of 3mm thick mdf x whatever width necessary (approx 7") cover it with black velvet and use it as a removable mask which attaches to the bottom edge of your screen when you watch a 2.35:1 movie.

I have done this with my screen and made it dual ratio and it works great, it only takes about 10 seconds to change the ratio over so not a big deal.

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Forgot to say you will have to zoom and refocus each time you change aspect ratio to fill the screen so take that into consideration.It's no problem for me as the pj sits on top of a cabinet 40" tall but if your pj is ceiling mounted it could be more of a pain.

6. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers Kbfern, been thinking about doing that aswell but with roller blinds, how do you attach your masks to the screen?

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    I have a fixed screen made from mdf and attach the strip to the screen with a couple of large paper clips( one either side).The strip is supported from underneath with 3 picture frame hooks spaced across the width of the bottom of the screen which you don't really see.

8. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +750
    If you're thinking of going for a Devote masking strip you could potentially just have the material sewn to the correct width (I.e. vertically) and with a loop seen onto each corner which you could attach to hooks/screws on either side of the screen. You could then roll up the material when not in use which would be easier than having a solid strip?

Btw both you guys helped/ inspired me do my DIY screen so thanks.