1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Denon 500 connection question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Manster, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again guys!

After my previous post where I was trying to convince my husband to get a Denon DHT 500 SD - i think I'm nearly there! We're going to listen to the system this afternoon!

One question that is concerning me - my JVC widescreen tv has 3 scart sockets but only AV1 is RGB enabled. I understand it's best to connect the Denon via RGB scart, but I currently have my NTL cable box connected to this socket. Will my cable quality be reduced if I connect it via one of the component/S-video sockets?

Also concerned about length of rear speaker cable - need enough to feed around edge of room.

Want to be sure that I won't have any problems if I eventually persuade my husband to go along with my choice! I can just imagine his reaction if we bought it and then found we couldn't use it properly! :confused:

2. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Rear speaker cable is 10 meters. You could always buy longer lengths if you needed it

Yes, using the composite scart will give you a worse picture quality. How much of a problem that is for you depends on how picky you are :) I have mine connected via the composite scart at the minute and the couple of movies I have watched have been fine...at least until I get a scart splitter so that Sky and Denon can share the RGB scart :cool: Splitters have been mentioned in other threads as around £10 from Argos/Maplins ets, RGB-enabled...

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As Conn has said all you need is a RGB scart switch box which will allow you to utilitise one RGB scart socket for at least two RGB pieces of equipment. I bought one from Argos at £9.75 and it does the trick, you will need a RGB scart cable to connect from the switch box to the tv.

However, does your JVC have phono outputs to which you can attach a lead from the tv to the Denon? This will channel whatever is hooked up to the tv through the Denon. You can also connect directly via scart but if you use a scart to a switch box the sound is not channelled down to the Denon from the tv when listening to other sources.

4. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Question about these switch boxes - do you manually have to flip a switch when you change from one peice of quipment to another or does something happen automatically ?

5. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Some are manual and some are automatic and some are both, also be careful as some only have 1 RGB output and some arent RGB at all....i can recommend the the fully RGB Vivanco auto swicher:-

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_categories.set/ref/20/switching-boxes/browse.html

6. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've read that some splitters are 'automatic' in that they sense the last item switched on.

My main concern with this would be when I want to watch cable and have the Dolby ProLogic II sound through the Denon - how does that work if they're both going through the same scart socket? - can they both play at once.

I want to use the Denon to play sound all the time - i.e. Cable tv, vcr and dvds if possible, but as I said have only one RGB scart socket on my tv. Can this be done?

Sorry to be a pain - Might be a dumb question - but it's puzzling me and I need to know which way to go before I buy a splitter. :blush:

Thanks

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The very simplest way to hook this up is to have the Denon connected to the RGB Scart on the TV. This'll mean that whatever you are watching on the TV will feed the Denon with stereo sound. Select TV on the function menu.

Then connect the NTL box in a number of ways....S-Video to TV or via the Denon. Composite scart to TV. Take your pick.

It might be an idea to to try your NTL box in Ext2 first, to see if the picture becomes intolerably poor. You may be pleasantly surprised! If this is OK then go with Denon to Ext1.

Jimmy

8. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Personnally I would not consider watching anything in composite if RGB was available. I presume NTL outputs in RGB in which case the scart switch box would offer you the best pictures, provided your tv has phono outputs.

You just connect your equipment to the scart switch box then run a cable to the RGB scart on your tv, then run phono leads from your tv to the Denon. This means that anything displayed on your tv will have its sound running through the Denon.

If your tv doesn't have phono outputs then you would have to connect the Denon via the scart lead direct to the tv. The Denon has a tv mode option which drags the sound down the cable from whatever is being displayed on the tv. However this would mean that your NTL box would have to be connected to another scart. All you can do is do what jimsan suggested and see what the picture quality is like.

9. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  10. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Stu,

On the 500 there only appear to be audio inputs on video 1 and 2 (not TV/DBS) as you state.

Have received my 500 today and am having a few problems. I thought from this forum that I could just connect the 500 to my tv via the RGB scart on AV1 and this would automatically play any sound that went through the tv (tv, cable, vcr etc). This doesn't seem to be happening. It will play tv sound when I have the tv on terrestrial tv, but not going through the cable (AV2). Then tried audio ouputs from tv connected to audio inputs on Video 1 on the 500. Still no luck.

I'm really stuck - don't know what else to try. The sound is awesome for DVDs - but I really want to play everything via the tv to output on the 500.

Can you, or anyone, advise - pleeeeeease! :eek:

11. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have you tried flicking through the different inputs on the remote control. If you have it on the wrong setting you won't hear any sound unless the programme is recorded in that particular sound option.

12. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi - yes tried different inputs - still no joy. :confused:

The AV1 scart socket must be two way because I can hear the tv (terrestrial) sound from it on tv mode, but when I switch the tv to AV2 for cable, the sound still remains on terrestrial tv. Also when I play the vcr through the tv I still only get the terrestrial sound on the tv function. I understood that the Denon would pull the sound back from the tv to play whatever device was playing through the tv.

As a temporary measure I have connected the cable box directly to Video 2 and can hear the cable sound that way and I could probably do the same with the VCR to video 1. However, this leaves me no further sockets to attach my separate CD and audio cassette player. However, the cable box I have is quite old and I understand that they are being upgraded, but the new boxes have no audio output. This means that when I am upgraded I won't be able to get the sound from cable to the Denon.

After talking my husband into this purchase - against his better judgement - I'm having a real battle now that it's not working as it should. Yes the sound is great - but it's not as simple to use as my old system and cannot be used as I had hoped. Help :lease:

13. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry you are having such problems. How exactly are you connecting all your equipment up? Does the JVC have a sound adjustment for the audio out on the phono jacks? Has the JVC got a headphone jack that you can use (after buying a little Y shaped adapter from Maplins and a phono lead with one jack at one end and two at the other) to connect to the Denon - not pretty.

On the remote the slider switch under the test tone is set right across to A/V and the other slider is set to tv.

In the short term I would just connect your existing equipment via the phono cables. The Denon can play cds so I would just use that for the time being.

As the Denon is taking sound from NTL it would suggest the fault lies with your tv and not the Denon when connecting via phono cables.

I know when I got it I had problems getting the sound on from the radio, tv and Sky. After messing around alot it must have been something on the remote that I had messed up.

You have bought an excellent piece of kit which has won several awards so don't regret making the hubbie pay out a bit more for a better home cinema.

Have you tried connecting the phono outputs from your tv to another phono input say on a hifi to see if there is a problem there too?

Can you not connect your cd player optically to the Denon?

The Denon does take video in too so I am assuming you can feed video through it and the picture will be displayed but have not tried this. You would need a scart adaptor (scart one side/composite video inputs the other) and attach this to the video 1, select composite video on the Denon then the picture should go through to the tv. I have not tried this but I am sure someone here said this works. So this would be an alternative if your NTL box gets upgraded.

14. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Manster,
    I have my 500 connected to my Sky box via AV1"scart" and phono's from my Sky box to my 500 "video2". Set your display on your 500 to video2 and you will need it on DTS NEO 6 as well. That should sort it out, I had the same problems when I first got mine.

15. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi - thanks for your responses - really pleased with the sound of the Denon - watched our first DVD tonight - brilliant. Will try switching the NTL and 500 scarts tomorrow and see if that works. Will update once that's done. Cheers!

16. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    WARNING!!!! Do not connect the Denon to the headphone jack output on the JVC! You would be connecting an amplified output to a 'line in' input. - not wise. Does such a connector exist? I hope not.

Jimmy

17. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It does exist. My son's tv had no problem doing this and works fine. I have connected by jukebox to the Denon too using such a connection and again it works fine.

However, Manster, due to Jimmy's concerns please do not connect your JVC in this manner. I would not want to unintentionally cause you more problems and am looking forward to hearing that you have your system sorted out. :)

18. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone.
    Thanks for all your help/suggestions. After looking at my options, I've decided to stock with what I've got. I talked it over with my hubby and he was pretty okay about the fact that the audio outputs from the tv were probably at fault rather than our old amp!

Really made up with the Denon 500 - the sound is excellent - I'm so pleased that I managed to talk my other half round - with your help, of course! :smashin:

Just got to get some wall mounts for the speakers now..... Cheers guys!

19. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I notice that my question follows on from this thread so I'm resurrecting it!

Jimsan and Wicket I think you will have the answer I'm looking for here, based on your previous contributions.

I have a Philips 32PF9986, Humax PVR8000-T and (now) a Denon DHT-500SD

What's the best way to ensure that the sound always comes out of my Denon speakers, regardless of whether I'm watching DVDs, TV or programmes recorded on the Humax's hard disk?

Is it possible to do this just with SCARTs or will I need to get some phono leads? If the latter, are these the same as analogue/digital interconnects? Spot the novice!

Any help would be much appreciated!!!
    Car Man

20. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I think you might find it depends what audio your tv scart outputs have a look at your tv manual. some outputs are selectable some automatically out put whats on screen