1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Delighted Toshiba TLP-ET1 owner!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by neilly boy, Jun 12, 2005.

1. neilly boy

neilly boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Further to my previous thread, just wanted to let you know that I took my first plunge into the front projection world and paid £399 for A Toshiba TLP-ET1 - alll I can say is WOW!!!

I love it - haven't even seen the TW10h in action but I do not regret this purchase one bit.
    The colours and clarity of the picture just on a blackout blind for my eyes is phenonmenal.
    We have been watching the star wars trilogy, shrek 3D (awesome) ansd last night a new dvd release of "Creep".
    My other half loves the home cimema experience and is completely hooked now (and so am I). Everything you guys said was true, it blows away all competition from plasmas, LCD screens etc - we love it to bits.

Speaking as someone who works in the technical side of Broadcasting - The picture is smooth, stable and any camera motion is handled beautifully - no smearing or artifacts present here folks. I think my gut instinct to go for the model with the Faroudja DCDi chip has paid off.
    Being picky, screen door is there but then it is with all LCD projectors because that is how they work. A slight defocus sorts it, but also we are probably sitting a little too close anyway because of our tiny living room, so it is more emphasised. It doesnt spoil our enjoyment though.

I am using a component connection from a cheapo progressive scan DVD player, must admit haven't even tested the scart or s-video connection yet ( I will though soon).

I know it is available for even cheaper than what I paid, but I preferred to pick it up myself from a UK computer store because i had a bad experience with mail order a few years ago that I never want to repeat again.
    All in all the best £399 I have ever spent. It has far exceeded my expectations and I am very fussy when it comes to technical equipment.

if there are any left grab one quick

Thanks to all who posted on this forum and helped me reach a decision

Cheers guys and happy viewing

2. pikkujöpö

pikkujöpö
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fitted an anamorphic lens (DIY) to my Tlp-et1 today and the picture improved nicely.I sit 1.4X screen width and the screendoor is not really an issue anymore.
    The lens cost about 100Euros to build and now I can enjoy the 2:35 movies with full resolution.Will have to make new screen now.......and buy the prog.scan player......... :D

This projector works perfectly with the anamorphic lens as it has the picture mode (called zoom)to stretch the picture vertically.

3. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Nelly, where did you buy yours from?

pikkujöpö, how did you make the lens?

4. neilly boy

neilly boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got mine from PC world. (hurry though, limited stock)

Tested s-video picture tonight watching Doctor Who on BBC Three from freeview box - very nice indeed. Unfortunately then the missus hooked on the large screen demanded to see "Joey" on Five....oh well I guess its good to test the bulb out in the first 90 days!!

5. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah, so limited, they dont have any. I was at my local yesterday, they had 1 projector. Bloody typical.

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. pikkujöpö

pikkujöpö
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I made it with 2 glass prisms both filled with glyserine.Ordered the glass from Edmund optics,8"x10"did cost about 70Euros with postage.
    The construction itself was rather easy when I followed the instructions found from Diyaudio forums.

If anyone wants to have a go I can help with the measurements for Tlp-et1.

p.s. there are also other types of "DIY" anamorphic lenses that can offer even better results than the prism like.