Another Delay For My Servo 15, I want an HGS Sub Now

Apocalypse

Standard Member
Reaction score
For the 7th time I've been delayed by RS, I'm so PO with them I want to get the Servo 15s nearest rival (in performance not price terms). I'm pondering on the HGS18 or the HGS15 but my room is only 3.5m x 3m so will the larger of the HGS range of subs just be a waste, should I be looking at the smaller HGS12 instead. Money is no object so if the HGS18 will sound better than the HGS12 I'll get the 18.

Uncle Eric - Your views in particular would be most welcome, btw are the power buys for the HGS subs still happening?

The Power Buys are definitely still on.:) Money no object?? Got to be the HGS18 then.:D

Thanks for the quick reply Jase, RS have till tomorrow to sort something definite out or I'm cancelling the order and never using them again for anything.

Hi Apocalypse,

I want to get the Servo 15s nearest rival (in performance not price terms

I think the HGS 18 could be overkill in that size room - make sure you wear a Bomb proof suit.:D

Anyone: wouldnt the Performance of the HGS 18 be compromised in a small room?

(aside)....I read somewhere that a chap had serious bass inside his car and that when he opened his window he caused himself damage due to the presure that the speakers created. Can this happen? Could this apply to a small room?
----

GJC

Originally posted by GJC
Hi Apocalypse,

a chap had serious bass inside his car and that when he opened his window he caused himself damage due to

......me leaning in and giving him a **** on the ear for disturbing the peace!:mad:

There's no such thing as overkill :D:D
Anyway, how far Godzilla goes is up to you. At least you know that should you ever wish to move your system to a larger room, there are more reserves there than Fort Knox.
Forget the HGS-12. Go for a HGS-15 or HGS-18.
Both awsome subs. If Richer doesn't sort you out with the Paradigm, let me know.
Regards
Eric

Originally posted by GJC

Anyone: wouldnt the Performance of the HGS 18 be compromised in a small room?

I´d rather have equipment that I know will easily cope with the room size, even if it may be on tickover, rather than something that struggles. Overkill? Yes, maybe. For the sub its a case of finding the best spot in the room for it as long as you´re prepared to experiment with placement it should be ok.

Depends what your personal tastes are really.

Uncle Eric,

At least you know that should you ever wish to move your system to a larger room, there are more reserves there than Fort Knox.

GOOD POINT.

If money was no object I too would go for the 18. I reckon it drops faster than a pending turtle.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by uncle eric
There's no such thing as overkill :D:D
Anyway, how far Godzilla goes is up to you. At least you know that should you ever wish to move your system to a larger room, there are more reserves there than Fort Knox.
Forget the HGS-12. Go for a HGS-15 or HGS-18.
Both awsome subs. If Richer doesn't sort you out with the Paradigm, let me know.
Regards
Eric

Thanks for the reply Eric and everyone else too.

I seriously doubt RS will be able to satisfy my needs tomorrow so I'll be calling on you in the very near future Uncle Eric for an HGS18 :eek:

Can you confirm if it comes with a UK power supply or is it imported hence needing a step down transformer. Also from you receiving my money how long is it likely to take before I receive one to torture my neighbours :)

Apocalypse i think it sounds much better to use a powerful sub at lower levels than a smaller less powerfull one at higher levels you will have much less distortion for sure. Also 2 other points, if you ever want to be stupid and rattle things for fun---hey you can :D more seriously, more often than not if you ever move house you will move to a bigger one and its good to know that you will have enough in the tank for a larger space.
If you were on a tighter budget than maybe go smaller but if money is not a problem go for the daddy HGS-18 and smile all the way mate i have not stopped grinning since i got my servo 15 even though i only use it to about a third of its capabilities most of the time.
Good luck mate,John.

I agree John, what's wrong with having loads of power in reserve, everything in my room is overkill but that's my philosophy when buying hardware.

For £500 I'd love to have the Servo 15 but I won't be too dissapointed if the deal falls through and I have to get the HGS18 :)

OMG !

that HSGS18 has a 18" Driver and 3000watt RMS amplification !!

WOW, do you think this could handle a small concert in a club ?

Originally posted by Tejpal
OMG !

It could handle a small concert at Wembley Stadium :D

Originally posted by Tejpal
OMG !

Just to correct you there, 3000 watts is peak, not RMS. The RMS output is 1250 watts - hardly a shabby figure mind!

Matt.

Apocalypse, what has richer sounds done/failed to do?

Originally posted by astonbilla
Apocalypse, what has richer sounds done/failed to do?

OMG, where to start.

Back in April I first ordered the Servo 15 and was told they don't stock them in the UK so one would be ordered, they said it should take about 3 weeks which is fair enough. After 4 weeks had passed I rang them up to see the status of the order and was told that it's really hard to get hold of one so there were delays in getting one imported, I was assured that I was still on the list and they would eventually get one.

Another 2/3 weeks had passed and I rang again for the status of the order, now RS said that it was looking doubtfull they could get one as RS just don't deal with Paradigm anymore, he said that the previous price of £499 for the Servo 15 was just to get rid of all their stock. I was of course gutted but I needed a subwoofer so I decided to buy the B&W ASW 675 for £650 using the funds that would have gone on the Servo 15 and knowing full well that the Servo 15 was a superior sub. Literally 1 week after I bought the B&W sub RS announced they were getting Servo 15s back in stock sometime in September (it was about mid-August now). The phrase "sick as a parrot" comes to mind as I'd just spent £650 on the B&W which although very good is no Servo 15. I just had to have a Servo 15 though so again I rang RS and they remembered me as I was still on the list, I was told I should get it 2 weeks ago. So 2 weeks ago came and went with no sub so I rang them up, this time I was told it was definitely ordered from their warehouse and would be with me last Thursday. Last Thursday came and went with no sub so again I rang them up to see what was happening. RS said it was the warehouse putting the UK power supply plugs onto the Servo 15s that held it up last week but that it again was definitely put on the list for delivery to the RS branch this Thursday. Yesterday I rang them up and was told it does not appear to be on the delivery truck bringing gear from the warehouse to the shop today, I was told to ring up this afternoon for definite confirmation if it was delivered.

So here we are now, I'm about to ring them up to see what's happened again, if it's not there I've had enough of the aggro and will cancel the order on favour of the HGS18 from Uncle Eric.

There was nobody more loyal to RS than me, my entire system was previously all from RS, even the cables and banana plugs so I can't be accused of being a RS hater. As a company I still love their aggresive pricing policy and on reflection I think I'll still probably use them in the future but atm I don't want to write down my true feelings as the forum has rules against libellous material and rightly so IMO.......................off to phone them up now :)

Edit - Just rang them and again it's not been delivered, order is now cancelled and Uncle Eric is my new best friend ;)

I've just this second had a call from Richer Sounds to say my Servo 15 will be delivered tomorrow. I can understand your frustration but perhaps you've been a little hasty to cancel your order after being patient for so long.

Originally posted by GaryG
but perhaps you've been a little hasty to cancel your order after being patient for so long.

No he hasn't! 6 months for a sub!:mad: You can get Ferraris in less time. Go with Uncle Eric. He seems to understand customer service.

Originally posted by Nobber22

No he hasn't! 6 months for a sub!:mad: You can get Ferraris in less time. Go with Uncle Eric. He seems to understand customer service.

The HGS18 has been ordered, Uncle Eric is a pleasure to deal with after what I've been through, a genuine top bloke.

GaryG - You certainly have a good point, after waiting 6 months would a few more weeks kill me, the answer is of course no. But on the other hand, after all the delays would you be confident when they say "it'll be here next week"

Pardon my stupidity.

but, Who is Uncle Eric ?

What company does he work for?

Wha does he sell ?

Where does he come from ?

ect....

Uncle Eric

He is the Father of Godzilla

(bow):D
---

GJC

Uncle Eric is the Saturday boy at Richer Sounds. I'm not sure where he comes from but it could be Isle of Wight

Originally posted by Ian J
Uncle Eric is the Saturday boy at Richer Sounds.
Ian, the good news is that I'm now allowed to make the tea's for the regular staff.
Hopefully, I'll catch the bosses eye and get another promotion soon. Bit complicated though they are, I can't wait to try and wire up some of those DAV systems :rolleyes: Hope I don't blow them up or something. :devil:

Originally posted by Ian J
Uncle Eric is the Saturday boy at Richer Sounds. I'm not sure where he comes from but it could be Isle of Wight

Yeah he used to work in Dixons before RS, and certainly knows his stuff. He is very knowledgable regarding dts-thats dolby television sound.

PS go have a look in the power buys forum.;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom