1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another DD thread

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Pulsar, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello guys.

I shall shortly be joining the DD owners club with my own DD-15. Seeing as there are a few DD owners on the forum, I thought it would be cool to see how you have yours setup etc. If you would like to post about what kit you use your with, maybe a picture or two along with any tips you have for initial setup or maintenace of the sub, it would be great.

I am quite interested to know if you use any other tweaks with your sub, such a different mains cables, specific signal cable, sub playform (GRAMMA etc) or what have you.

Cheers

Rob

2. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Rob
    Congrats on your new sub :thumbsup: I'll post a few pic's when i get home. See my sig for the rest of my set up.

What finish did you get?

Welcome to Club DD :D

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Samir.

I have gone for the Cherry finish.

It looks like you are running a nice system there, even though I am not familiar with onkyo equipment, THX2 mean something to me. :)

I look forward to the pictures to see what you have done with it.

Cheers

Rob

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Fine choice of sub. ;)

My setup is in my Profile. Currently have my DD15 on a Gramma as it works well at isolating the sub from the floor and helps reduce rattles in the "room". The cable I'm using is Canare LV-77S which is really well shielded and in a funky green colour, lol. Power cable is a Mark Grant special (Silver plated Wattgate). :)

Best tip I can give is plonk the sub at or near the listening position and then try the mic at different positions in the room to find the best response without EQ, then place the sub there. Having the response appear on-screen in real-time makes this really easy. Once you've done that you can then crack on with the basic setup of crossover slopes, sub-sonic filters, phase etc. You can see the effect of these in almost real-time by flicking back and forth with the Test button. Once you've settled on the best options you can then tackle the EQ'ing (if need be!). :)

5. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    You have bought a sub that will last a lifetime. Enjoy.

Some of my pics are available in another thread ;)

My system details are below:)

6. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Thanks for the encouragement. :D

Don't be a spoil sport and get those pics over here dude. ;) :smashin:

Cheers

Rob

7. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Pulsar
    Here's some pic's of what will be heading your way :thumbsup:

The cherry really does look first class in the flesh the pic's don't really do the finish justice.

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks Superb SamirP :thumbsup: :cool:

9. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    SamirP,

Thanks for those pics. I should have mine by Tuesday/Wednesday and will make sure I get some pictures of the beast posted up.

Cheers

Rob

10. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    thanks for your kind words guys

Pulsar
    As you can see my DD12 sit's on a Gramma and I use a Canare LV-77S sub cable & the standard mains cable.

I'll look forward to thoughts I know you won't be disappointed

11. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samir,

Although, I own a much smaller sibling i.e. CHT10R - also in Cherry. I must say that DD12 looks very nice, indeed! I have seen it in Maple before - but in my opinion Cherry does it more justice.

I am also looking to place my sub on either a Gramma or some MoPads - and currently undecided. I would be extremely interested in hearing your views on the Gramma, and if it has made any difference for you?

Thanks

12. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Johnnycab
    To be honest, I think you hear the biggest difference if your sub currently sits on a Laminate or wood floor.
    I never used my DD without the Gramma so I don't how it would sound without ;) But when I tested out the Gramma with my B&W ASW2500 I noticed that the bass sounded less boomy.

MoPads would fit the bill the bill aswell you would just need to check max load that they can support. My mate uses a pair of MoPads under his Velo SPL800 to good effect.

:)

13. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samir,

Thanks for the reply.

The sub does sit on a wooden/laminate floor at present. And I want to tighten up the bass a bit more. I might end up with the Gramma - as it looks more appropriate for the current position of my sub. Although, the width for Gramma stated on Auralex site, is exactly the same for the sub! i.e 15" - so, I do not know if it will fit....

However, in defense of the MoPads - they seem more flexible, and can be used under other equipment too!

Cheers
    Johnny

14. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

I've got a DD12!!! :smashin: ....... In demo room 3 :mad: bit of a shame but I do have an SPL1200 mkII :thumbsup: at home as the plan is to get the Velodyne SMS-1 :cool: which will give me the flexibility of a DD which I can't wait.

I have also had the DD15 for the last two months to compare, and it really is astonishing some of the information you miss in my favourite movie clips, and so ridiculously quick for such a large driver!!! :devil:

15. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Hayes.

It sounds like you have some nice toys to play with at work. :cool:

I used to own a Velodyne SPL1200 MkI sub which I found to be very nice. I will be very interested to hear what you think of the SMS-1, as I seriously considered that as an alternative to the DD-15. My only fear about using such a unit with a decent sub as opposed to getting a DD-15 was that you miss out on some of the DD's other features like the servo feedback loop and massive power reserves required for boosting certain frequencies with EQ.

Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Rob

16. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

With the SPL mkII having 1000 watt RMS, that's only 250 less than the DD and that doesn't equate to much more output, just control really. The real bonus of the DD is the fact that you can get a 15 and 18!!!

I do think that the DD driver is nicer in terms of the type of material and the weight of it, gives it the edge over the SPL. As to your comment on protection of the driver :eek: do you really think you could do some damage to an SPL1200 mkII while listening to a movie ( :nono: Not trying to damage it on purpose) because if you think it's possible, I think I'd have to come round to have a listen to the volume you watch movies at!!! :smashin:

Yep, when the SMS-1 comes out I'm going to take it and the DD12 home for a bit of a shoot out, although the results will be for me and people who want to know, as I'm really not interested in people pulling the test apart (like, are well at that time in the morning, the sun would have been directly on the driver therefore softening the suspension and thus loosing SPL and control!!! and the second sub being tested in the afternoon with no direct sunlight etc etc... :boring: )

It will essentially be for me to see if there is a cheaper way to get DD sound, which is unlikely as Velodyne themselves aren't going to do this to their premium range and proves they have confidence in the DD's!!!

Regards

17. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    It is not that I listen to movies loud, probably far from it, but the driver movement and amp power required to fill a large room with a 15hz bass tone can be too much for some sub woofers. My SPL MkI was very comfortable in my bedroom setup, but when I took it to a friends house, it sounded lost in his large lounge, and this was a 750 watt RMS amp and decent 12" driver.

The house I am moving to next month will see the DD-15 located in a lounge room, which is open to the kitchen and has stairs going up to the landing, where bedroom doors are likely to be left open. This is going to be a decent volume of space to 'fiil' with bass, so lets hope the DD is up to it. :D

I am sure many folks here would love to hear you thoughts on a SPL1200 MkII + SMS-1 Vs a DD-12. Just ignore the geeks who get all anal about the methodology, and post what you found from your listening. You opinion is as valid as anyone elses, including maganzine reviews. Good luck. :smashin:

18. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

19. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well I have a DD-15 sat on a Gramma. The DD-15 overhangs the Gramma by approx an inch on either side, but the Gramma still works. I was advised that the Gramma would be fine with the DD-15 on it. I previously had a CHT-10 sat on it, and the Gramma did a lot to improve the bass with the CHT-10, but I've never tried the DD-15 without it for a comparison as it is far too heavy to lift on & off the Gramma.

Mark.

20. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

Did the CHT10 sit perfectly with no overhang?

It is taking me longer to decide on something appropriate to place the sub on, than it took to choose the sub itself! - which incidentally is not too hard, once you have heard a Velodyne!

Thanks

21. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    DD12 delivered and waiting for my grubby paws to have a play & fiddle tonight.

But in the grand scheme of things its a load of cash for a sub (and probaly way too much) but hell if we cannot satisfy at least one of our passions ... why the hell are we allive!

Rgds Steve.

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Let us know how you get on

23. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The CHT-10 sat on the Gramma with no overhang. IIRC I think if anything the CHT-10 was slightly narrower than the Gramma.

At first my CHT-10 was just say on a carpeted floor. The Gramma was an improvement for even the entry level Velodyne sub with room vibrations reduced by a fair bit.
    I must say that I am in full agreement with you on the Velo subs. I did a few demos of Rels etc when looking to buy a replacement for my old Mordaunt Short sub and nothing was 'that good' until I got my hands on the CHT-10.

Mark.

24. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi.

I recieved my Cherry DD-15 today, and have spent an hour or so setting it up with my new Denon 3805. I shall not be doing any propper listening until I get my new satelites (Quad 11L's) on Friday, and will report back then.

Cheers

Rob

25. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Were your DD's not delivered and setup by the dealer as per the manufacturers requirements?

Hope you have fun with it as it can take some time to get it setup right depending on the rooms acoustics.

Have fun.

Regards

26. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I specifically requested that I do it although their installation was offerered. So placed and wired took maybe 20 minutes ... Universal remote programming and EQ calibration will probably take until Xmas.!!!

The EQ calibration I have not done yet as I need time & peace and quiet - and also the ability to crank it to decent spl's ... so think Saturday is full tinker day.

I can really only position the sub in one place - corner between meeting couch ends. This is going to make it peaky but figure the EQ would play its part here quite nicely.

Running it with B&W 803D's and was wondering what crossover to apply. Don't want to go too high on the sub as it becomes a bit of a directional source and think the 803's are good down to 40hz. So going with 60-80Hz seems fair compromise, but we shall see how the 803's stack up on the EQ test....

Initial impression with only playing at low spl's and for maybe half hour was how low this thing goes. Really reaches right down, and is so fast. Spl's were too low to get any idea of punch, but it was clear there was plenty of umph.

More tinker coming ... EQ ver 2.0 would be really sweet with Auto EQ.

Rgds Steve.

27. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    It's all part of the fun and learning process. Besides the offer to set up professionally can still be called upon if manual set up fails miserably.

28. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Did some EQ last night and managed to gain some ground - but also woke the whole household too...who were less than impressed.

Got the familiar 100hz hole in the spectrum. Cannot move the sub much more than a 6-8 inches either way so pretty limiting ... smoothing peaks is definitely easier than filling holes... cleaned up all peaks but the 100hz hole is a bit stubborn... find I need quite a sub high crossover to aid this ... got it at around 120hz with slope at 12 (i think).

Will play some more over w/e and report back Monday.

Rgds Steve.

29. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Steve

Have you tried changing the Polarity and/or Phase to eliminate the dip? Whilst I got a nice flat response in Stereo Mode on my Amp, when I switched to Dolby PLII a nice dip appeared around 60-80hz. By changing the Polarity the dip was sorted. I've set up one of the Presets with this Polarity reversed and just change over depending on what mode I'm listening to. :)

30. hoistman

hoistman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi - How do you rate the DD compared to say an MKMX350 ?