Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Another day,another nood,another cry for help.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thej, Apr 7, 2005.

1. thej

thej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    So its finally come to the day I ditch the RP and buy my first front projector...
    I've even narrowed it down to a choice of two... I think.
    On one side the Infocus 4805
    the other, Themescene's H30a.

I've had demos of the 4805, and was impressed. Yeah, so I saw a few rainbows, but nothing I couldn't live with, if anything I was more put off by the SDE. Anyway, more then impressive enough to fork out £1000 for.
    However have yet to find anywhere that demos the H30a, so while there is no substitute for viweing it yourself, in lieu of that I would much appreciate anyones input who has seen one.
    Of course anyone who wants to suggest something else completely then please do, however I am looking at short throw (3.5m at most) and not much more then £1300.

Appreciate guys.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    If you saw screen door you were viewing too close.

You probably won't go wrong with either the 4805 or the H30a. But if you saw rainbows then be slightly worried about how uncomfortable it may get after prolonged viewing...PJ

3. thej

thej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I know what you're saying, but they really didn't effect me enough. It was a small minus compared to the huge plus'. Also my fiancee couldn't see them at all, short of shaking her head around like a crazy thing. :rotfl:
    To be honest though I haven't seen any LCDs, but do you know how biased the retailers I've been to are?
    Every one has warned me away from LCD.
    oh well.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    As above really, but also the following questions;

You must have been too close to see the SDE but is this the same distance that you will be from the screen once it is in your home?

With the rainbows how regular was this and can you have more of a prolonged viewing to see whether it will bother you or not, or was it just certain scenes.

When i viewed the 4805 it was the first DLP projector that i didnt see rainbows, up until this point i did see rainbows get eyestrain etc, but it was also the newest DLP that i had viewed at that point.

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Yep if it wasnt so sad it would be funny, whenever i go into a certain chain of retailers and enquire about what pjs they have, they are always DLP. I make a point (i.e on purpose) about asking about LCD and no doubt get the same answer as you :rolleyes:

6. thej

thej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What's up with that? Obviously getting tips from the DLP God. :devil:

Watched about 1hr and the rainbows were in some scenes, but didn't get a headache, which is obviously important. Got slightly blue eys (the other bit is green) so if that's one more for the theory then there we go.

7. thej

thej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I guess the other question is of course, anyone recomend one place as better to buy from then another?

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Well, we do our best to diplomatically put forward their case as a viable option. We have to be very careful though as this forum has been accused of being pro LCD!

Interesting comments about retailers.

:D ...PJ

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Exactly, and my next PJ will be a DLP :) .
    I am kind of in the process of assessing a few potentials.

As for who to purchase from if you dont want to go local, as it is never that easy, there are a few forum sponsors who apparently give great service.

Also having said that about a certain chain and DLPs, i was in a hifi shop the other week that had a HS50 and the quote to a potential customer was that they would have to spend at least £5k to get a machine of comparable quality. I know the HS50 is very good but i am sure that many DLP manufacturers would all have something to say about that.

10. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    One thing worth keeping in mind is that at this price point LCD will give you high definition readiness whereas DLP won't. Worth keeping in mind for the future.

11. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I agree with Ivojo, entry level LCD is generally higher resolution than entry level DLP. Apart from contrast ratio, LCD's look better. If i saw a DLP that looked better than mine i'd change to it, but i haven't seen anything to 'float my boat' this side of £5k.

12. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Personally. For DVD use. I think that resolution is the least impotant aspect of projectors now days.
    All modern home theater LCD/DLP machines will display a DVD at a resolution sufficient to completly blow you away if your used to normal CRT tv viewing.
    Much more important is black level and contrast ratio to give your picture that vital snap.
    If you not plagues by rainbows then DLP is the obvious way to go.

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    As long as the DVD isn't being downscaled then I agree that resolution isn't the "be all and end all". But, given the choice and on the cusp of HD, is seems to be a "nice to have".

However, again, your "obvious way to go" statement is out-of-date. There isn't an obvious way to go in the sub 2K market, there's a wealth of both DLP and LCD machines with pro's and con's.

There is an obvious way to go for the mid to high-end because, if I'm not mistaken, LCD doesn't cover that territory....PJ

14. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Regardless of the resolution of DVD, most projectors that use almost a million pixel panels look better than ones that use around 3-400,000. Just compare a basic Sony to a higher spec one(say a Sony VPL-HS3 to a VPL-HS20), the better resolution panel just seemed much more of a 'solid', believable picture.

15. thej

thej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Okay, so I thought I'd got it cracked and was set to go for the H30a, but had a look at the TX100 that you have, and that sounds damn good too.
    However I am only going to use this for DVD (70% of which is NTSC) and maybe the odd Xbox or PS2 game.
    Therefore is the higher Res, really going to mean that much to me, and indeed could I get a better pic from the lower res of the H30a as it wont be downscaling?

Oh... and any thoughts you have on your TX100 would be much appreciated.*Phew* Hopefully I'll actually make my mind up soon. :smashin:

16. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the LCD megatest from cine4home.de:

(translated)
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...ren/LCD-Vergleich2/LCDVergleich2.htm&lp=de_en

original link
    http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/LCD-Vergleich2/LCDVergleich2.htm

You'll see that the TX100 stands up very well to the 2nd generation 720p LCD projectors. You could say that the TX100 is 1.5 Generation (1st gen being the Sanyo Z2, Panasonic AE500 in my mind).

In fact, I came this close (ordered, but was out of stock) to buying the TX100 - but went for the AE700 in the end becuase it was buy now, pay in 12 months - which is better for my cashflow. Oh, and the smoothscreen sounded kinda cool too and with a filter gets > 2000:1 contrast ratio - not that that means anything particularly - I found the pic on the TX100 to be fantastic (i'd have been very, very happy with it - a nice step up from a friend's Sanyo Z2 I was used to). But as other people have said, any of the LCD models around £1000-1500 will put a huge grin on your face - I stilll can't believe how good they are each time I view one. Absolute bargains!

Should get the AE700 this week... every night between now and then is gonna be like Christma eve - how will I sleep?

17. thej

thej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the low down.
    I really think that I need to go out and find an unbiased retailer who's willing to demo me an LCD unit, as I've yet to see one.
    Things like dust blobs and dead pixels worry me tho'.
    Certainly if that was the trade off, I could live with the (few) rainbows I see over that. But...
    Need demo now!