1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Customs Pineapple in my Butt 3 in 2 days!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DVD Baron, Feb 27, 2003.

1. DVD Baron

DVD Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Customs has been working over time on me lately....35 pounds charges in two days! Think they're trying to tell me something???
    Well, I've learnt my lesson thanks to the good advice off this forum...think I'll practise trading DVDs within the UK more often.
    Regards,
    Der Baron:hiya:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You just need to stick to the £18 limit.

3. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    How many disc's are you ordering at once ,
    Ouch :mad:

Like has been said Keep your limit Down Way Down :nono:

Just one last thing who was the Order with ?

:lesson:

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's why I use someone like Play. They may be a pound extra but they despatch all the films singly

5. DVD Baron

DVD Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings to my fellow DVD addicts....
    The order was oddly enough with www.ezydvd.com.au who I have to say only added 41 AU dollars to the actual shippment of around 6 DVDs so not sure why they were stopped....I suspect I was just unlucky in that three batches arrived at about the same time and they got a bit suspicous and thought they'd better make a statement just in case.
    This is the first customs I've had to pay since importing discs and the amounts were pretty low to be honest...just a huge pain in the arse going to pick them up....the amounts were
    15.02 (how the **** you calculate that amount is beyond me)
    8.03 (again a unique amount)
    12.00 so there you have the story....the 15.02 amount was for deepdiscountdvd and what ****s me is for items which are not for sale in the UK so I didn't have the choice of R2 in anycase...well, not to worry....will be buying more off this system.....
    Regards,
    Der Baron

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AU$41 is well within the customs limit. You should NOT have been charged a penny.

I wouldn't have paid it and would've told them to go back and do their sums properly.

You should look into appealing.

7. DVD Baron

DVD Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Squirrel God ....I thought it was a bit rough myself....I have the box with the item number and the 'amount insured for ' written from Australia....should I call customs, quote the item number and hear what they have to say? My biggest worry is not 'rocking the boat' too much on future items...although I could change the name on the postal address and have them sent to friends...I think this is legal..and might baffle the so called system more......
    Thanks in advance for your advice.....
    Regards,
    Der Baron

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My only concern is that the DVDs you ordered might have been new releases and they might have guessed that there's no way you would've been charged so low for such items if they opened them up... However, that's neither here nor there - they shouldn't be making you pay IMO if the stated amount is within the limit.

Look at your rights on the HM Customs & Excise website (just key that into MSN search and it'll come up with it) and it will tell you how to go about appealing on there.

9. DVD Baron

DVD Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks SG....I'll have a look around and keep you all informed of how it all goes....I've just checked again and the value on the box is $35 AU dollars, about 13 pounds. As they were Disney DVD's you're probably right...but as you say....just crunch the numbers guys!!:mad:
    I'll keep you up to date with how it goes....although I don't think I'll win this one, but think I'll find a way around it all.
    Alles gute zu alles,
    Der Baron

10. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Baron,

They havn't got it confused with US Dollars have they ??. Try working out the sums then you can give them a right ear-bashing for being blind as well as incompetent.

11. Wismann

Wismann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Add the shipping charge as well, its the value of the items enclosed plus the shipping charge. The exchange rates used by Customs are available on the customs website.

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the declared value.

Retailers are supposed to include the shipping charge, but not all (in fact, few) do.

13. brifobwad

brifobwad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How about a sticky for custom charges or a topic, Moderators?