Question Another cross over question

paulbrannan

Hi,

I have a 5.1.2 set up and my fronts are minx 22 (120Hz-20kHz) and the others are Tannoy satellites (140Hz - 78kHz) and a Tannoy sub (45Hz - 140Hz)

Currently have everything set at 120 but really not sure if this is right.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ta

D1gita1

Are the minx speakers close to a wall? You're on the right track and I'd say your settings are fine, but you might benefit from a sub that is rated to play a little higher. If you have run some EQ and it measures the speakers at the frequencies you've posted, I'd say youre good to go and need not worry any further :smashin:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@paulbrannan
Cambridge Audio recommends 140hz crossovers for those! But like D1gita1 said run the auto setup of your receiver mic placed at seated ear height at your listening spot and see what figures you get first. How you place the speakers, how close they are walls matters as there could be quite big differences which we have seen with members here. Usually those small sats are best to keep near walls and subwoofer close to them so it won`t locate as own source too easily.

Seems you have TFX subwoofer. Turn the crossover knob to AV/LFE if you haven`t already done so.

paulbrannan

Thanks for the input.

Yes, the Min are hung directly on the wall and the sub is the ageing tannoy as you surmised- could probably do with upgrading. The sub is pretty much under one of the sats and pointed at the sofa.

I did speak to Cambridge and they advised 150 as my receiver only jumps from 120-150, but on certain films when played highish I was getting distortion (e.g. on Annihilation towards the end) - this may just be me driving the speakers to high though.

I'll do Audyssey again and see what comes back, although I'm never sure then after what setting to have my receiver on - options are Audyssey on all , front only, or off. Tends to seem better off?!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the input.

Yes, the Min are hung directly on the wall and the sub is the ageing tannoy as you surmised- could probably do with upgrading. The sub is pretty much under one of the sats and pointed at the sofa.

I did speak to Cambridge and they advised 150 as my receiver only jumps from 120-150, but on certain films when played highish I was getting distortion (e.g. on Annihilation towards the end) - this may just be me driving the speakers to high though.

I'll do Audyssey again and see what comes back, although I'm never sure then after what setting to have my receiver on - options are Audyssey on all , front only, or off. Tends to seem better off?!

Yep, tiny speakers can only do so much and rely heavily on subwoofer. Hopefully in future you can think about something different. It is recommended that you don`t manually change the crossovers lower after Audussey run. Just make sure the mic is placed right (not near back of seat/rear wall and seated ear height), silent room and go away from mic/speakers while running it.

Some of the earlier Audussey versions were not that good. In many cases it sounded worse from what i have read. Feel free to choose which ever from those three sounds best in your room.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom