Another Conroe PC Build Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Miyazaki, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Hi,

I want to build a PC around the 6600 chip. I don't really want a great gpu with it, just something to tide me over until easter and roughly the second gen of dx10 gpus.

I would like to build the pc myself, but haven't even installed ram before (too scared of shorting the whole thing!), is it easy to do, and would it be good to get a certain pc case?

Was thinking of building my own at mesh or aria, but just can't decide.

I have a budget of about £1500.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

2. Repton

Repton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'm also a first timer in PC building, I'm lucky to have started when the Core2Duo CPUs came out. You'll find loads of tips online for example at pcmech.com or Kustom pc or pc mags.

Just some of the things you'll need before you start:-

anti-static wrist strap, good range of screwdrivers etc

Get a decent case with lots of space for cooling and also helps installing the motherboard. (go for full tower if space allow)
    Buy a decent PSU (over 500W) modular if possible, to help cable clutter.

those are just some of the tips i can offer, but ask as much questions as you like as there are many experts on this forum who can help.

happy building:smashin:

3. sibeer

sibeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Go ahead and build one, there is not that much to it. Just take your time and choose your components wisely. I would save soem of your budget for the next generation graphics cards though and keep it modest for the moment :)

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I think I will get a 7600GT for now and upgrade the gpu in due course, probably around crysis time :D

5. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    i would go for a decent card now as it will be a good while before you start to see dx10 games and you might aswell enjoy that conroe now

6. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    not really. Crysis will be a DX10 game (that can also run in DX9) and that is rumoured to have a release data of Q1 07. MS flight sim X is another one. Add to that, the DX10 cards are looking to be the fastest DX9 cards aswell, then theres a good reason to get one when they come out IMHO

7. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    rumoured to have a release date doesnt mean it will be then. IMO i would go for a decent one now but if you want to wait then spend a fortune on a dx10 card then its upto you

8. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Im pretty much in a similar boat at moment. Im hopefully going to buy a new PC in late September as my old one is 4yrs old (I used to build them all the time but now Im too ill to do it and its got so out of date its going to cost me the same to build it anyway, well more if I went for the conroe extreme). Im just torn whether to wait abit and buy a standard gtx sli model and save the extra 150 quid (from mesh) or get a quad set (but theres problems with drivers at moment so gtx is faster than quad). Then Ive also been tempted to wait till October just incase the Nvidia do release there nv80 dx10 card (as its rumourered to be around October or Novemver). I know from buying and building them for the last 14yrs though that everything always moves on quickly so there comes a point where you just have to buy whats out (and Company of Heroes is out end of September which for me is the main reason!). I also know that when Vista comes out the quad sli will have its limits lifted with the buffering problems so it is tempting for an extra £150 to have 2 of those slapped in :D

Main DX10 stuff isnt due around March 07. Stuff like Crysis and Enemy territory are due around then.

Building them isnt hard though. Make sure first of all whether you want to go down the SLI route or not and if you do make sure you get a motherboard what supports either crossfire for ATI or Nvidias. Also look for a board which gives you the fastest DDR2 available for upgrading. Also get the best PSU you can afford from a descent company like Tagem (as you want the 12v rail to be consistant otherwise a 900w rubbish one compared to a 550w descent one would be shutting your PC off due to fluctuations). I never wore a wrist strap when I built maches just touch the casing to ground yourself and leave the kettle plug in the wall switched off conected to the PC to stop static build up

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I can't really afford an amazing gpu at the mo, i'd rather save up for a kickass dx10 one.

Having said that, a decently priced, stable, 2nd gen dx10 card is quite a long wait away.

I think I will go for a middle range 7900GT or similar. Maybe a 1900XT.

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Will dx10 cards require new architecture like pci-e has done?

I don't want to be up **** creek :(

11. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Na there not made like that mate. It will just have say faster memory on the card and technology to allow different shaders (and high dynamic range lighting and AA at same time. They are still actually making AGP cards as well as PCI-E there just harder to get ahold of and even with x16 PCI-E its still not being used properly yet that speed its still around the same speed as AGP x8. A lot of the newer cards will be able to implement some of the functions of DX10 anyway. Where probably looking at least another year at least before true DX10 stuff comes out anyway (Crysis is running on DX9 with some software functions done with DX10) and all the games will be backwards compatible anyway (its the same with say Far Cry it was direct shader 3.0 I think it was but you could play it on cards what werent compatible same with Splinter Cell they just didnt have those effects). A lot of it will be down to Vista really when the games start becoming snazzy!

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Ok cool.

Thanks for that.

13. kylef

kylef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I to am just about to do this! Although whilst my budget is a mere 900 or so.. take a look at these specs :

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "Conroe"
    Link: HERE
    Price: £220 - This price is rounded to the nearest 5, and excluding postage.

Motherboard: Asus P5B-Deluxe "Wi-Fi Edition" Conroe
    Price: £130 - This price is rounded to the nearest 5, and excluding postage.

Power Supply Unit: Antec SmartPower 500W Modular
    Link: Unknown
    Price: £60 - This price is approximate because I don't know where to get it yet.

Case: Antec P180 Advanced Super-Midi Case
    Price: £85 - This price is rounded to the nearest 5, and including postage.

Cooling: Arctic Cooling Fan 120mm x2
    Link: **eBay**
    Price: £10 - This price is rounded to the nearest 10p, and excluding postage.

_________

As you are on a better budget, I'd say go for an X1800XT graphics card - they aren't overly expensive, and will hold out until Dx10!

Edit// These are just the base unit parts of course ;P I already have a Raptor drive (and they are damn well amazing ;P) and a graphics card!

14. sibeer

sibeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You are probably as well of buying a 1900XT in about a month. The 1950 is coming out in the next few weeks so the prices on 1900's will drop. The 1950 is nothing that special though IMHO, you may as well save the cash.

You will probably be able to get around half the money back for your 1900XT in around a year when the DX10 cards start looking better.

General PC Building Advise:

1. Don't skimp on any of the following: PSU, Motherboard, RAM. It may seem like they aren't doing anything for performance, but they are nine times out of ten responsible for keeping it stable.

2. For PSU Tagan or Seasonic are probably the best, go for around the 550W level to future proof it against potential dual video setups, etc.

3. For Conroe systems try to get motherboards based on the 965 chipset. These are giving far and away the best overclocking results so must be a stable chipset. For Motherboards you can never go wrong with DFI Lanparty boards. Asus, Abit, MSI and Gigabyte all offer good boards, probably in that order. A conroe board should be costing you circa £100 from your ample budget.

4. RAM is vital, particularly if you start to overclock. It often survives upgrades if you buy it well enough in the first place. Some of the best reasonably priced RAM is the GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC). This is available for about £150 and clocks very well indeed.

5. Don't overspend on the CPU. There is definately a point with CPUs at which you are paying lots of money for little real world gain. The 2.4Ghz Conroe is definatley the most expensive I would realistically consider, but an overclocked cheaper one will offer the same performance ;)

6. Don't overspend on the Graphics. The realworld difference between say a Radeon 1950 and a Radeon 1900 is small, buy the one that costs half the price. Generally speaking don't spend much over £200 unless you have money to burn. SLI configurations may break this rule, but only when the software starts to really take advantage of them (much like the dual core CPUs). It will probably be worth waiting a few weeks for the new 7900GS as a good value option, or for the 1900 series to fall with the new 1950s.

Hope this helps

15. sibeer

sibeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Oh and the Arctic cooling Freezer 7 Pro is IMHO the best value cpu cooler. It is more than adequate for an overclock and reasonably priced.

fps_kyle: Your system sounds good, but I would lose the Antec kit. You can get better PSUs for similar cash from Tagan or Seasonic. You can also save alot on the case going for something like the Thermaltake Mambo available for under £35 without PSU:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2267

It will make little difference thermally as this case has excellent airflow, I personally think it looks great too. At the end of the day though a case is far more orientated by taste :) . The Antec will definately have more bells and whistles like slide out drive trays, etc.

16. Digihoho

Digihoho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,
    Been sitting on the fence for AMD to reduce prices once Core2 Duo come out but decided to go the Intel route instead. My budget is limited to £500 excl monitor, so therefore went for the E6300, Gigabyte GA965 DS4 mobo, Geil 1GB (2x512mb) Ultra DDR2 P800 rams. Read so much about the overclocking capabilites of these new Intels, so hoping to run at stock first, then may be later on do a bit of overclocking.....

This ia also my first attempt at building a pc system, with help from various forums,particularly this one http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/intel-socketT/

I am sure I will manage to set it all up. At the mo, I have one question to ask you guys re: putting cooler paste onto the heatsink, the heatsink that came with the cpu already has some on it, but not evenly spread, can I just place the heatsink onto the cpu? or should I get some more paste and spread it arcoss the whole area of the heatsink then attache it to the cpu?? Any advice much appreciated!

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    You can do all the overclocking in the world, but the conroe 6600 has 4mb of L2 cache next to the 2 of the 6300.

IMHO its not worth going for anything other than the 6600. 6700 and 6800 are too expensive.