Another connectivity questions!!! VCR - how have you connected it?

nunew33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
Looking at most cheap to medium range VCRs they all seem to have 2 scarts. One in/out and the other in for satellite.

It seems to me that the choices are:
1) Manually swap the in/out scart between a scart to TV or a scart to composite/projector. But this will ruin the connections over time
2) Get a splitter. But this will degrade an already cruddy composite signal. This wouldnt be so bad if the destination devices were used mutually exclusively (one or t'other). But its currently connected to a video sender which is permanantly on. Sky comes through the VCR allowing Sky and VCR to be accessed via video sender elsewhere. So switching off the sender when using the projectorisnt really an option as my taste in films is not my wife's.
3) Get a scart amp. But these are expensive and all for a cruddy image.

Have I missed an obvious solution?

i bought a cheap svhs video recorder and i connected sky tho the vcr and then connected the vcr to the tv, i also connected the vcr to my amp using the svideo out on the video and then i connected the amp to my pj , now i have sky plus i just connect the sky to the amp via svideo and the picture is much better as connecting through the vcr only gives a composite picture as most vcr dont accept a rgb in, where as the sky + outputs a svdeo picture while its not as good as rgb its far better than composite

Check the SCART socket diagrams for the VCR, you may find a spare output on there that you can bodge a cable for or, like Chic says, replace it with a SVHS deck, more options and far better pq for use with a Pj (at least on recorded stuff).

My video has 2 scarts but doesnt support rgb pass through.

I have 2 scart inputs on the tv so i have daisychained the dvd player, sky+ and dvd recorder using rgb and the vcr has sole use of the other scart in the TV. It'll only record whats showing on tv as I dont use any RF signal. Its a faff to record but I only use it occasionally if I need to view a vid. I generally leave it switched off

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom