Another CAT5 sub question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DavidCook, Apr 29, 2005.

1. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have recently purchased the Canton 2.22 speaker system as described in other forums with the Canton ASD 22 sub. I am intrigued by the threads about CAT 5 and would like to make a sub cable ready for when the speakers are delivered. I will be hooking it up to a Yamaha RX-V 1500 amp, which is also on order.
    My questions are:
    Do I make the sub cable in exactly the same way as is described in the DIY threads for FRRC speaker cable?
    What connections do I need to put at each end of the cable for this sub and amp.
    Or am I completely off track?
    Any links to help would be appreciated

David Cook

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Dave it all depends how you wish to connect to your sub TBH, if your talking of using "high level" connections then you would simply run 2 CAT5 cables from an amps binding posts (1 cable CAT5 for left channel + 1 cable CAT5 for left channel) you then split each cable colours for positive, white for negative. +&- in each CAT5 cable. But your using an AV amp, normally you hook up a low level RCA connection for this not a high level thus CAT5 setup, you would be better off using a normal screened IC for this with a RCA plugs at each end. Normally high level connections are used off of stereo amplifers.

3. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for the response. I hadn't taken into account the differences between stereo hi-fi requirements compared to AV. I think I will simply go and buy the speaker cables following what you say. It seemed a good idea and one saving a bit of money as I had a supply of CAT 5.