1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Cat 5 speaker cable question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by t1grm, Feb 6, 2005.

1. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I know this has been done to death on here. I’ve read most of the links on the FAQ thread and have decided I’m going to take the plunge and use Cat 5 (for the fronts at least). However, I have one question that the existing threads don’t seem to have covered:

How large and flexible (or not) does this stuff end up? Assuming I use 3 runs of Cat 5 for each channel pleated I’m guessing I’m going to end up with something at least 20mm diameter and quite rigid? That’s a pretty chunky unwieldy cable to route around the room. Since I’m in an apartment with concrete floors and ceilings and breezeblock walls chasing a 20mm dia cable is going to be a hell of a job. How easy is this stuff to route?

2. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Sorry not an answer but another (relevant I hope) additional question. If You don't biwire do you need three cables per speaker or would 2 be good enough.
    Why do most articles seem to recommend 3?

3. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    If you can get a good sound with 2 obviously increases flexibility, would they then just need to be twisted?

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The sonic attributes of the cable don't tend to be affected a great deal (regardless of what the science says) by leaving the cable unbraided. The cable is already in a twisted pair configuration anyway.
    If you don't bi wire I suppose you could use 2 cables and twist or tape together. You do reduce the surface area of the cable but probably not enough to be a problem.
    You can get sleeving from Maplins that would possibly make the cable slightly more managable.
    If you get stranded CAT 5e as appose to the solid core variety it's more managable.
    The best Method I've found is 6 cables in pairs plaited it makes a fairly thick but quite flexible cable offering a good surface area.
    Best thing is to try it with just some single runs and see whaat it sounds like.

5. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks will try that.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The way I did it is 3 cable for single run and 6 for bi wire using 2 colours for hfe and the other 2 colours for lfe on the singl run and (I bi-amp) 2 cables (split into colours) for the hfe with the 4 remaining cables (split into 2 colors) for the lfe.

Hope that make sense. Now I have loads pieces of QED SA speaker cable to get rid off.