1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another cable/connection query!!!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Claret, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Claret

Claret
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bit late I know but finally woken up to the pleasures of home cinema. Judging by some of the other posts here I'm not alone in struggling to make sense of the deluge of information available on the best way to connect up TV/DVD/video/SKY.

I've just bought a Toshiba 36ZP38B picture frame TV to complement my Toshiba RD-XS30SB DVD recorder. I also have a SKY stb (not SKY+) and a basic Samsug mono video (used to play kids tapes). TV has built in Dolby Digital so don't intend bothering with separate amp.

DVD has S-video in/out, red/white/yellow audio/video component in/out and scart in/out.

TV (See attached file) has 3 scart (inc. 1 RGB), component video input, separate optical audio and coaxial audio inputs. Also has fixed audio output.

SKY stb has 2 scart out and separate red/white audio connections.

Any suggestions please on best way to conect?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OOh does your tosh have RGB in??? if not this could be a pickle mate!!!

Looks like Tosh only does S_video or composite:( (Well in that case)
    SKY AV1> TV RGB input AV1
    TV AV3>DVD>SKY AV2 with Scart (DVD set S-VIDEO output SCART on TV AV3 Good quality Scarts all round!!!!!)
    VCR> TV AV2

I hate to say this but as SKy boxes generally dont output S-Video (a couple of Grundigs do) you willl have to record in Composite the lowest standard. This makes for a very diffficult connection i am afraid unless you have everything in Composite which for Sky and DVD is Crap! A Tosh SD330 DVD player availble MR for £80 would give you much better results for prerecorded disc but i am sure this is not what you want to hear!

Sorry mate!

PS almost forgot use digital Co-Ax cable from DVD>TV for DD5.1 from prerecorded discs if you can assign the inpput to the correct Scart, It may be reserved for the component input only (I hope not)

3. Claret

Claret
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey that was quick!!! Thanks for the advice. Think I understood most of it. Pity I hadn't discovered the forum before splasing out. But hey that's life.

Do you mean does Tosh DVD or Tosh TV have RGB in? Think TV does (Ext 4). Not sure about DVD - only seems to have red/white/yellow. What's the difference between RGB (component?) abd R/W/Y (composite?)

With apologies in advance for my ignorance a couple of further questions:

1. "SKY AV1> TV RGB input AV1" - do you mean scart from SKY AV1 to component RGB (Ext 4) or scart audio/video/s-video (Ext 3)on TV? For connection diagram for 36ZP38 TV see
    www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/home.nsf

2. Do your references to AV1, AV2 etc equate to EXT1, EXT 2 etc?

3. Don't follow "DVD set S-VIDEO output SCART on TV AV3"

Thanks for your time and patience.

Cheers

Iain

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thanks mate lets sort this out for you
    I meant DVD-R red white yellow is composite and stereo audio and red is right white is left. RGB is picture split into red green and blue elements and carried on 3 wires each with their own GND
    AV 1 is EXT1 (RGB SCART Socket IIRC)
    roughly AV1 RGB SCART AV2 S-VIDEO SCART AV3 RGB Scart AV4 Component YUV input.
    I assumed that Tosh would have a scart out put on the back and a scart input if not then you will need a scart to composite cable for Sky to DVD and an S-Video and stereo to Scart for DVD to TV If tosh can accept a composite signal and output it as an S-Video signal this is where it gets complicated!!!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Claret my apologies mate!!!
    Solution RGB to YUV converter from JS Technologies £150 ish then SKY AV1 > converter >TOSH YUV input (DVDR) YUV output> YUV input on TV coaxial digital for DD5.1 and stereo analogue (RED WHOTE from sky (or converter) VCR anywhere you want!!!!

Simple mate!

Completely missed the YUV (component inputs on the DVD recorder :suicide: )

6. Claret

Claret
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simple????? Didn't think DVD had YUV. TV certainly does. Cables on order through hificables. Gone for RGB scart and coaxial audio DVD> TV. Will let you know how it looks.

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers

Iain