Another buzzing sound question (Tatung)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dcguy, Apr 30, 2004.

1. dcguy

dcguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a 46" Tatung plasma, model number P46CCWV. Considering I was about to buy a 50" HDTV name brand model for about $7,000, this 46" Tatung EDTV model came to my attention at $2,700. I watched it perform beneath the latest 50" Sony Wega plasma, and the difference was minor enough that it was worth trying to save the $4,300 difference.

Besides the price, I love the display quality and aesthetics of this Tatung model; however, it makes a very annoying buzzing sound in the back. It sounds as if I am living with a neon sign in my living room when the monitor is turned on (not just in standby mode). I have to turn the surround sound up quite high to drown out the buzzing sound enough to the point I don't notice it. But having the volumn high isn't practical all the time, of course.

So, I have seen other threads on this forum. And some of those threads have a lot of replies with everybody basically confirming or denying they have the same problem, and the most common solution seems to be either 1) people return the plasma for another one, or 2) they just live with it.

I am afraid I am in the same boat with respect to my options. So I am wondering if anyone has come up with a better idea to solve the problem, like padding the inside of the plasma frame, or building a wooden or metal box around the frame (mine sits on a wall).

I actually tried to tape some sound insulation to the exterior sides of my plasma, the same type of stuff audio buffs put in their cars to dampen the sounds from the body panels. Maybe this is not the correct material to use, but it was pretty dense and heavy. Anyway, it barely made a difference. :(

Like others, I am afraid of returning the unit and getting another one with the exact same problem or worse. I still have 3 weeks to decide if I want to do that. Otherwise, I was hoping to explore the possiblity of other fixes like changing the internal mechanism with a third-party product, or building the noise barrier somehow.

Can someone please reply who has a definitive answer on how to cure this, short of paying the extra $3-$4k and getting a completely different model? I don't have that luxury really. I think I can spend the time and money to come up with another solution and still be ahead of the money curve.

P.S. My plasma is hanging on a wall in a large room with 13 foot ceilings and hard wood floors. I'm sure this is not the best acoustical environment, but I still believe the buzzing sound is unacceptable no matter what the price of the plasma.

Thanks very much for any input.

David Smith
    Washington, DC

2. dcguy

dcguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone??

3. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Welcome to the forum.

If your'e not happy about this let your retailler know. Its not acceptable to spenf]d good money on luxuary items such as plasmas and not being entirly happy.

As you'll see from Hitachi 42PD3000 threads many of us are in the same boat and complaining gets things moving. I am now on my second transformer replacement, awaiting a complete power supply replacemnt trying tocure a similar problem.

Kind Regards

Big Al

4. dcguy

dcguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I had someone from the retailer come over but the moment he hear the sound he just said "there's nothing that can be done about it". He didn't even go over and look at it. So now I am afraid if I call the manufacturer directly, they are just going to refer me again to the retailer.

Does anyone know if there are third-party transformer replacements, or any company that makes "upgraded" parts for plasmas with this buzzing sound problem? I really do call it a "problem". Nobody should have to spend several thousand dollars and then be annoyed by the buzzing.

By the way, the retailer said if my plasma is out-of-stock and I want to have it replaced, that they will just give me a "comparable" model in terms of price. Since 46"plasmas aren't made any more, I am afraid my retailer (Best Buy) will make me take a 42" plasma, which is really too small for my application.

Thanks for any help or advice. I have 3 more weeks to figure this out before I can no longer return the unit.

5. dcguy

dcguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is anyone aware of any third-party solutions to this transformer/power supply buzzing issue? Or is the only solution to get it resolved by the manufacturer? I would be surprised if there is no one out there trying to tackle this problem on their own.

6. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tatung plasma screens are not readily available in the UK, so there probably aren't many (if any) people on the forum who can offer you much advice.

The transformer buzz on the Hitachi sets, which does sound like a similar problem to yours, can only be fixed with a replacement from the manufacturer. Even then the longevity of this repair seems in question. I don't think anyone is trying to come up with their own solution, after all these are expensive pieces of kit. It's the manufacturers responsibility to make sure it works.