Another Burn In Warning

Nittanylion

Standard Member
Reaction score
We purchased our 65" LG OLED in March 2017. Within 2 years we began to see signs of burn-in primarily caused by the various news stations and their info boxes. Now, after about 3 years the burn-in has become very significant. One expects a $2500 TV to function properly for many years but this set will soon need to be replaced. No way will buy another LG OLED TV since the burn-in problem has not been solved. OLED refuses to cover it under a decent warranty and their solution is to keep changing channels. So a warning to all that you might do well to consider other technology such as Samsung ULED sets.

You make sound as if it's a problem specific to LG Sets!

This is a well known and well documented problem with OLEDs. What made you think that LG had solved this problem. I may be wrong but I don't recall LG claiming this miracle.

Burn in problem not been solved? - how can you judge that on a 3 year old TV? - perhaps 2018/19/20 models have improved in this regard?

To my mind, OLED = plasma when it comes to burn-in, to my mind. I’m happy to avoid the technology, as there are good alternatives available at present.

And yet there are what, many thousands if not millions of us who have had OLEDs for years (two and three respectively for my C8 and C7) without any permanent image retention/burn in/pixel degradation?

Can it happen? Yes of course, but some people seem to think it's near enough inevitable and that's a load of the old proverbial.

News stations with ticker tape scrolling and info boxes...:facepalm:
There is your answer right there.
Don’t know why your surprised? :rotfl:

Had numerous OLEDs never suffered with permanent burn in or image retention.
It’s how you use it.

I wish there was a way to remove burn in as I have it on my LG C6 65inch. Its from an Apple TV update and the black screen with the white progress line has burnt in.

If anyone know a way please let me know.

Carl

I wish there was a way to remove burn in as I have it on my LG C6 65inch. Its from an Apple TV update and the black screen with the white progress line has burnt in.

If anyone know a way please let me know.

Carl
If you have a 5 year warranty then contact the place you bought it from.
If you are still under warranty they would normally offer to replace the panel for you at your home. But I see you have a C6 so that’s a 3D panel and I don’t think there are any more of those still available. Most probably get offered a like for like upgrade to a 2020 model.

Contact the place you bought it from.

Good luck..

If you have a 5 year warranty then contact the place you bought it from.
If you are still under warranty they would normally offer to replace the panel for you at your home. But I see you have a C6 so that’s a 3D panel and I don’t think there are any more of those still available. Most probably get a like for like upgrade.

Contact the place you bought it from.

Good luck..
I got it from Curries/PC World at Junction 9 M6. I did have the 5 year warranty so would be worth a check. I do also have dark shading down the centre and outside edges showing, but that depends on the type of image onscreen.

Cheers. My next move is contact Currys

Carl

I got it from Curries/PC World at Junction 9 M6. I did have the 5 year warranty so would be worth a check. I do also have dark shading down the centre and outside edges showing, but that depends on the type of image onscreen.

Cheers. My next move is contact Currys

Carl
I would get on the phone to Curry’s. Hopefully they are as accommodating as Richard Sounds, JL. You end up with a new 2020 OLED...:smashin:

I just need to find the receipt now LOL
Just hope your beautiful dog (Avatar Pic) has not had it for breakfast...:D

It’s how you use it.

that's quite a poor response/excuse really.
it's a TV, you should be able to watch whatever content without having to worry about destroying the screen.

that's like buying a car and then being told not to do too many right turns as the wheel might fall off.

My 65b6v bought in October began showing the dreaded sky breaking news banner after watching too much news in lockdown. Supplied by Fenwick's with a free 5 year warranty. When I contacted them they told me the replacement panel was no longer available and offered a new Sony LCD. I told them that I would probably regret not having another oled so they are waiting for their delivery of the 65bx and will fit it when it arrives.
Very impressed with their service and will happily not watch news channels from this time on.

You just need proof of purchase, which isn't necessarily the receipt.

Currys will have it on their records.
Just give them model No. & date, plus your post code.
Best of,,, Let us know how you get on.

"I CANNOT FIND IT"
Your not looking in the right place. :laugh:

You make sound as if it's a problem specific to LG Sets!

Considering that LG makes the OLED panels I would say that it is very much an LG specific problem.

As much as it will anger the "OLED is great" brigade I have to say that I am very glad that I bought a Qled. The Oled brigade will probably bang on about not perfect blacks and blooming issues but I'd much rather have them (none noticed so far though) than have to babysit my TV or waste £1k within 3 years.

Considering that LG makes the OLED panels I would say that it is very much an LG specific problem.

As much as it will anger the "OLED is great" brigade I have to say that I am very glad that I bought a Qled. The Oled brigade will probably bang on about not perfect blacks and blooming issues but I'd much rather have them (none noticed so far though) than have to babysit my TV or waste £1k within 3 years.
Seeing as the company making the panels isn't the same as the company that sells the TVs, no, it isn't a specific 'LG Electronics' problem. There's equal likelihood of this fault afflicting Panasonic, Sony, and Phillips, though less in volume seeing as significantly less would have been sold.

Seeing as the company making the panels isn't the same as the company that sells the TVs, no, it isn't a specific 'LG Electronics' problem.

It is owned by LG so it is all LG as far as I am concerned.

John Lewis replaced my LG B7 after 18 months due to serious burn in. I now have an LG E9 which is supposed to have a better panel and less likely to have a burn in issue. After 7 months no problems yet

Well I still haven’t found the receipt, I do still have the box and it has my details on it, order number and delivery date. Delivery date was 02/11/2016. Now to bring all this data together and pop into Currys and see how I get on.
Would it be best I call into the branch I purchased it from or any will do?

Carl

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom