• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Another Buffalo LinkStation or Something Else

nheather

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have a small home network that includes an elderly Buffalo LinkStation Live. It has worked faultlessly and still does but is on 500GB which was huge when we bought it.

The time has come to increase the size. I have looked at changing the disk but because of the way Buffalo format and setup it is quite a effort, besides new ones are little more than the price of the disk.

I appreciate that the LinkStation performance is quite low, and having it on a GigaBit switch doesn't improve things much. I also don't have any redundancy. So they would be nice but not hugely important.

We don't use it for streaming movies nor do we intend to. It really is just a centralised filestore.

Now the one feature I really really like about it is the Automatic Power Management. With a small app on each computer the LinkStation starts up when the first computer switches on, and goes to sleep when the last computer is switched off. This means it is always there when you need it and is never on when you don't. And my family don't need to know anything about turning it on and off.

With my limited research, it seems that the competition, even the more professional Buffalo products opt for programmable ON\OFF times (rather like your central heating). Whilst this is okay, I prefer the automatic system.

So are there any other NAS solutions out there with a similar Automatic Power Management?

Cheers,

Nigel

next010

Distinguished Member
Synology or QNAP dont have that to the best of my knowledge, they have idle spindown and scheduled power on/off. Asustor have idle spin down, scheduled power on/off and scheduled S3 sleep which similar to putting a PC to sleep so not a full power off.

No clue on Western Digital, Thecus or Netgear those are some others to check but it might be the Linkstation is the one to go for.

Mike Hall

Novice Member
I've got a Netgear ReadyNas Duo V2. This has timed startup/shutdown, but it does respond to WOL, (Wake on LAN) commands, so perhaps that could be utilised??

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom