1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Another) budget system thread...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rupbert, Sep 21, 2003.

1. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hey guys, like most people I have been used to playing CD music on a 'complete' hi-fi system, mine being a £900 SONY system (CD/Tuner/Mini-disc)...

Now though I want to go the seperate route, but again like most Hi-fi newbies I know little or nothing about how these things should be put together...

I understand the importance of auditioning a system before you buy it, however I have nowhere near me that offers such a facility. I subscribe to various AV magazines (Home Cinema Choice), but not to anything like What Hi-Fi?...

I have read various reviews of CD players, Amps and speakers and I am willing to put my faith in a product that receives praise from such magazines mentioned above. These forums have also been excellent...

My budget is £1000, for a CD player, Amp, Floorstanding speakers and all neccessary cable...

The NAD C541i CD Player is something I would like as the reviews have been very praiseworthy.

Not sure on the amplifier perhaps the NAD C320BEE?

Speakers again I am not sure, maybe Mission M74's?

I basically want a system that can play a wide variety of music, with good clarity, warmth etc...

Again I know must people will say 'go and listen to a system' but this is really not an option...

Thanks in advice guys...

rupbert

2. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both mentioned products are great for stereo reproduction! But why wont you try and replace the NAd c320 bee, with a T742 HT model? Try and hear and compare both models side by side with the above mentioned speakers and if you decide to go for the T742 you can easily upgrade to a full home theater if your requirements change! NAD AV amps are quite good in stereo reproduction and easily match to the current NAD stereo range! Within my setup I have a NAD T762 and a C540 as a cd player. I really love the sound that comes out of these two great products. I am using a good quality Monster Analogue cables to connect both devices!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try rotel rcd-02 amd ra-01 with B&W dm602s3 sevenoaks were doing them as a package a few months ago! have had many good reveiws!

4. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Many thanks for the replies guys, I am very interested in the Rotel route now, thanks for the suggestion hornydragon...

It seems though Rotel is not easily available through uk online dealers, need to go search...

Thanks again!

5. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my housemate owns a rotel rcd-02/ra-02/dm602s3 combo, unfortunately both of us are not happy with the sound.. demo 1st! buying without listening is not recommended :(

6. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The C540 was quality stuff and still is - my father is running one, inidently. Second the NAD C541i recommendation, along with the C320BEE - a brilliant combination. Incidently, the C542 is the replacement model for the C541i and should be out by now. I've got the C521BEE CD player and it's a cracking bit of kit. Highly recommended.

The Rotel RA-01 has had rave reports from the press and users themselves.

overfloe has an excellent point - audition before you buy!

7. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks again guys, found a place near me called LRG (Sound and Vision) and it has a massive shop front containing various bits of extremely high end kit, shall pop in at the weekend and ask them for a demo of the Rotel CD/Amp with B&W 602's...

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Rotel and B&W are not available mail order/online so you have to visit your local dealer? Overfloe where did your mate get it from without demoing?