Another BOSS platform.

drummerjohn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Inspired by others here I thought I'd have a go as I had two spare 300w BK amps and spare channels on my DCX2496.
18mm ply
2 x JBL S2-1224
Pets At Home rubber balls. Went with 9 halves as 6 wouldn't support the weight.
IMG_20200213_203757~2.jpg

IMG_20200213_203700~2.jpg
IMG_20200214_204730.jpg
IMG_20200215_145933~2.jpg

IMG_20200215_202118.jpg

Bolted platform to underside.
img_20200215_172414-2-jpg.1258465

Amp ready... lid is almost done.
IMG_20200215_215423~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_172414~2.jpg
    IMG_20200215_172414~2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_20200215_215423~2.jpg
    IMG_20200215_215423~2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
OK... blown away! War of the Worlds scared the crap out of me. 300watts per speaker is unnecessary. Had to dial back to -18db! Still plenty of excursion left.
Crossover at 60hz, butterworth 48db which results in a steep drop off after 40hz.

Absolutely gobsmacked. Took two days but well worth it!!

WoW, a good use for halved rubber balls.... the dog looks worried (photo). Hope all goes to plan.
Not sure about the Butterworth though - can you give some details? I thought they were praised rather for their smooth response. Are you using this as a Low-Pass filter?
+I don't understand the 48dB comment/figure either...
Peerless suggest Low-Pass should be 24db/Octave and I'm unable to find 2nd, or 3rd Order filters that can achieve this.... any thoughts?

Cheers

WoW, a good use for halved rubber balls.... the dog looks worried (photo). Hope all goes to plan.
Not sure about the Butterworth though - can you give some details? I thought they were praised rather for their smooth response. Are you using this as a Low-Pass filter?
+I don't understand the 48dB comment/figure either...
Peerless suggest Low-Pass should be 24db/Octave and I'm unable to find 2nd, or 3rd Order filters that can achieve this.... any thoughts?

Cheers
Thankyou.
See screenshot below from DCX2496. Of all the types it shows the steepest dropoff.
IMG_20200216_151640~2.jpg

Looking good!!, It'll be interesting to here your thoughts as you dial it in.
I'm still in the process with mine, I'm after a good average crossover so I can set and forget.
Saying that with a MiniDSP HD in the chain, it's easy enough to change things on the fly.

OK... blown away! War of the Worlds scared the crap out of me. 300watts per speaker is unnecessary. Had to dial back to -18db! Still plenty of excursion left.
Crossover at 60hz, butterworth 48db which results in a steep drop off after 40hz.

Absolutely gobsmacked. Took two days but well worth it!!
Look good, glad you're enjoying it :) Yeh 300W is too much, around 80W per speaker is plenty.. Also might be worth trying a lower crossover as 60hz IMO is too distracting, maybe around 40hz and below and maybe a shallower roll off (around 12db/po)

What subs do you have?

Look good, glad you're enjoying it :) Yeh 300W is too much, around 80W per speaker is plenty.. Also might be worth trying a lower crossover as 60hz IMO is too distracting, maybe around 40hz and below and maybe a shallower roll off (around 12db/po)

What subs do you have?
Thanks. Yeah... need to have more of a play with xover.
Went with JBL S2-1224.
The carpet savers aren't any good... they're disappearing into the pile so the sub is pretty much sat on the floor. Will need to put down some 150mm squares of ply under the balls.

Went with JBL S2-1224.
The carpet savers aren't any good... they're disappearing into the pile so the sub is pretty much sat on the floor. Will need to put down some 150mm squares of ply under the balls.
I meant what actual subwoofers do you have lol?

Yeh mine sink into the carpet a bit but the Hudson Hifi Isolators sit nicely inside the the carpet savers so it gives me about 1" clearance between the drivers and the carpet..

My subs I made almost 10 years ago now. Thread is here...

Two 15" sealed subs powered by a Behringer EP4000.

Went with JBL S2-1224.

I've had to place a sheet of ply on top of my carpet to stop this happening too. It's also helped create a better seal for my tubes.

I have an electric recliner similar looking to yours, was curious what it might be like to fit a boss to underneath. Was there anything you had to be careful of avoiding mechanism wise?

Looks good btw

That was my problem with the reclining mech. Was Going to put the drivers out the back of the sofa, but will do as above and rise the sofa up about for them to fit.

The recliner had two inch high feet which I removed and replaced with 2 inch timber to spread the load. Clearance between bottom of seat and woofer magnet is about 20mm. Was close.
Still stunned as to how good this is. You really don't need that much cone excursion either to make an impression.

Still stunned as to how good this is. You really don't need that much cone excursion either to make an impression.
Yep, Me too.
Watched Captain America Winter Soldier tonight (with BEQ). The Boss was made for these type of films!, Some serious sofa shaking going on ;)
That’s with 280w going into 4 1224’s.

The recliner had two inch high feet which I removed and replaced with 2 inch timber to spread the load. Clearance between bottom of seat and woofer magnet is about 20mm. Was close.

Ahh, it make sense now what those strips of wood were for. They give you the extra height for the drivers as well as strengthening it. I'll be using CS1214's as I have two NF currently so best have a look under the sofa and start measuring. They're not quite as deep as the GT5's which may help a little.

Thicker Ply or doubling up the plywood could also help with clearance issues, I use 25mm ply myself as I need that little bit more clearance under my sofa, I think @paulst10 has doubled up his 18mm ply platform.
I doesn’t affect performance, the stiffer the better apparently.....no pun intended ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom