1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another boring living room thread

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jasper_mccrea, Jul 25, 2005.

1. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    New flat, not a rental, so some redecoration was in order. This is the first view of the semi-completed living room.

Me and her indoors did all the work, channeling etc.. The mess of cables you see to the right of the cabinet are the three rears and component cable for the projector. Haven't plugged them in yet. Just finished painting at the time the photo was taken. The cables run around the floor in mini-ducting (from Homebase) then inside the plasterboard up to the speakers.

I didn't take any pictures of the during phase, because if I ever wanted to change professions to decorator, these would destroy any chance.

The colour is Dulux Dusted Macaroon #4. To match the curtains, which are on order. It's reasonably dark, which is good.

At the back, I have a projector vertically mounted. The mirror to direct the picture to the front instead of the ceiling is in the post. I'll post some follow-up when I work out if that's going to work or not. And to show the rear speaker arrangement. The screen is a beamax jobbie mounted on hooks for easy removal and storage when not in use (SWMBO's orders).

The unit is an IKEA PS, and houses amp, dvd player, TiVo, freeview box, PS2, and a Keene electronics IR distributor. I'd be ashamed to show a picture of the open cabinet. It's a horrible horrible mess. Like all the cables visible under the cabinet. I'm tempted to tie these to the underside of the cabinet so they're less visible..

Anyway, that's the new room, almost done :)

Attached Files:

2. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  3. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the vertical projector mount - very cool. How did you do it, what did you use?

4. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Oh, I just used a regular VESA tft wall mount bolted to the back of the PJ. With a few washers tilting it slightly outward at the top. Seems to work pretty well, and is nice and streamlined. And only £13 for the mount, £4 for the mirror, the card and the masking tape were free!

5. wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    looks good like the projector very clever. :smashin:

6. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    jasper

just wanted to pass on an idea for the appearance of tiday cables, under my desk as a type this there is a birds nest of firewaire usb network ..etc etc. but when you look you see nothing. This is becuase i have an extra piece of board the same as the desk that sits just in front of the cables and when you walk in the room the cables are well hidden.

you could do the same under your tv cab by using a piece of kitchen Kickboard/plinth from b&Q or cutdown a piece of MDF painted white. and fix it underneath the cabinet towards the back from the carpet to the underside of the unit. from the front no one would know the cables are there :smashin: