Another boring bi-amping question.....

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dynamic turtle, Sep 2, 2004.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

Just wondering what is the best method of using 2 power amps in a set-up? My Pre has two outputs & speakers are bi-wirable so:

1) I could have one power amp driving the tweeters and another driving the woofers

or

2) Convert the power amps to bridged-mono and have double the power, with each amp powering the high & low frequency drivers of one speaker.

Which method usually yields the best results? More importantly, will the improvements be worth the outlay? The speakers are not difficult to drive and get painfully loud with the pre volume set half-way. What I'm looking for here is even more clarity & resolution (not that they're lacking in that department either :) )

DT

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    My experience: Stereo Power amp sounds better as a stereo power amp. But it will yield a little more power in mono mode. (I don't know the technical reason for why, I assume it's to do with the power supply and the layout of the PCB's signal paths etc). I'm starting to find a lot of stereo amps sounding just as good as monoblocs these days. However, a dedicated monoblock will sound better than a stereo amp used as one. In my experience.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    There are a few ways of doing this....if I was going to bi-amp the speakers,I'd use one amp for each speaker channel,rather than using one for bass,and one for treble,from the point of being able to place each amp close to the speakers,and use short runs of higher quality cable....a potential bonus.

Bridging power amps can be a useful way of potentially doubling the power output,but may not always provide sonic benefits,and decreased load tolerance is also a problem,with a number of amps only being able to drive 8 ohm loads once bridged.

If you're intending to use your existing amps,it's an easy matter to try both methods and see which suits you best,as it's difficult to predict which will give you the best results for your ears.

If you're considering clarity etc,have you also thought of changing/upgrading any of your interconnects and speaker cabling...this can produce very noticeable benefits.

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Shame monoblocks are relatively expensive. Guess its a demand thing. From the manufacturer's perspective, they are offering monoblock functionality in their stereo power amps - hence why bother with mono only versions?? (talking budget kit/manufacturers here)

Alexs2, I'm afraid moving the PA's closer to the speakers isn't really an option, but I see your point.

Some people use their integrated to drive the tweeters and power to drive the woofers, hence why I asked about the same config using 2 PA's.

Funny thing is, neither of you have said that adding a second/dedicated power amp actually improves things noticeably :laugh: , which has sowed seeds of doubt in my mind. Maybe its only really noticeable in mid/high budget systems :rolleyes: .

DT

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    A lot depends on the system and the amps....I know it sounds like a bit of a copout,but a lot comes down to interactions at the amp/speaker level,and my suggestion was to try first before making any sort of investment.
    I'm fortunate enough to have a set of fairly high powered monoblocs,but I have found biamping useful previously,especially with speakers presenting a difficult load,like some of the Linn or B&W designs.