Another blow for Organic food...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of Organic produce. I've always seen it as a lifestyle affectation described quite accurately as an 'affluence and insecurity tax'. I did believe however that there were real environmental benefits though, these maybe are not as effective as I had though...

Study spikes organic food environment claims - Times Online

I think if we are going to meet the needs of a ridiculously expanding population we need to get smart with projects like these...

Thanet Earth

...and...

Seawater Greenhouse | Welcome

...for example.

Is it a 'blow'?

It just tells us that growing organic is less efficient but surely we knew that anyway.

I think that's a bit of a tired old argument nowadays. We have excellent government bodies like the PRC that do a cracking job to ensure the food we eat is safe.

Organic food is not free from chemicals in any case, particularly in challenging growing years...

Thousands of tons of organic food produced using toxic chemicals | Mail Online

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

the funniest thing i have read in ages, safe? our food is safe?

they wont even stop the supermarkets injecting meat with water, nitrates, ground animal protein (bone etc) and other crap so they can bulk the weight out and make more money, and since when does bacon **** out a pint of water and thick heavy white gunk...

it may not be instantly deadly but the FSA only interest is looking after the profits of the big multinationals and they allow all sorts of crud to be needlessly added to food

there are traces of pollution in all soils, air and water on the earth so even organic food will be contaminated but it will be less than normal food, and i dont buy organic :p

Last edited:
I find it funny when I hear about people in the UK talking about organic food and how bad the non organic stuff can be and how we should buy "healthy" food.

All that before rushing to the pub/clubs or to buy cheap beer at the supermarket to get drunk or at least have a fair few units. :)

Edit: I'm not pointing at anyone in particular by the way. Just generally speaking.

I find it funny when I hear about people in the UK talking about organic food and how bad the non organic stuff can be and how we should buy "healthy" food.

All that before rushing to the pub/clubs or to buy cheap beer at the supermarket to get drunk or at least have a fair few units. :)

Edit: I'm not pointing at anyone in particular by the way. Just generally speaking.

beer - hops barley and water

its all good.

Tell that to the people that died of CJD from eating beef from infected cows

Check out the stats for V-CJD - I agree this was a terrible mistake (hopefully now rectified). If memory serves me correctly, I think there has been about ~180 deaths in total from V-CJD over the last 20 years, maybe something like 3 or 4 last year. Tragic and avoidable, but bear in mind in comparison that deaths from food poisoning run at something like (at least) 500 per year, this is much more scary, but gets very little of the 'food safety scare' press.

Sorry, a tad off topic maybe, but I've just noticed that (and if you have Sky TV and you haven't seen this before)... 'Delicatessen' CineMoi (343) Tue 11th 15:15. A scary tale involving 'meat'. :rolleyes:

Sorry, a tad off topic maybe, but I've just noticed that (and if you have Sky TV and you haven't seen this before)... 'Delicatessen' CineMoi (343) Tue 11th 15:15. A scary tale involving 'meat'. :rolleyes:

Classic movie!

Check out the stats for V-CJD - I agree this was a terrible mistake (hopefully now rectified). If memory serves me correctly, I think there has been about ~180 deaths in total from V-CJD over the last 20 years, maybe something like 3 or 4 last year. Tragic and avoidable, but bear in mind in comparison that deaths from food poisoning run at something like (at least) 500 per year, this is much more scary, but gets very little of the 'food safety scare' press.
I see John Gummer's son Ben is today contesting the Ipswich constituency ... not sure what the situation is with his daughter, who he force-fed that burger to :rolleyes:

I eat some organic food, some not. Someone else can worry about the health and ethical resons for buying organic - for me the main discriminators are taste and cost. For instance I've bought organic carrots and they've had no more taste than non-organic; I've also bought organic avocados and coconut milk, and the difference in taste has been marked. In general, for me, organic meat isn't worth the very high cost.

I think the distance food has travelled is a more important debate.

Dave

there are traces of pollution in all soils, air and water on the earth so even organic food will be contaminated but it will be less than normal food, and i dont buy organic :p
Quite apart from the food people eat, anyone who spends 30 minutes outdoors in Central London will get a lungful of soot and car exhaust fumes

Is this the wrong time to point out that any carbon-based substance is organic?:D

So technically, PVC is completely organic.
And so are Teflon, Kevlar and PVA glue...

Om nom nom.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom