Another Biplar/Dipolar Thread

Stellavision

I am thinking of a slight change with my surround speakers. At present I have Mission M7Ds on the side wall and the same on the back wall, which of course are all Bipolar. In films with heavy EX soundtracks like ATOTC I find the rear surround field possibly a little muddy. Would Dipolar sides create a better effect while keeping my Bipolar rears?
Monopoles are not really an option because my sofa is against the back wall. I have searched and read similar topics of this type of scenario but I have gained inconclusive thoughts to help my own setup.
I am thinking of replacing my side M7DS with WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 18 DFS. Are these any good?

Cheers

Stellavision

I'm now a little confused.
Superfi advertise the Wharfdale Diamond 18 DFS as Dipole (see HERE
and Wharfdale advertise them as being Bipoles (See HERE
:confused:
I am going to assume Superfi have got it wrong.

Ian J

Banned
I used to have the same as you with M7DS against the side walls and a settee tight against the wall so I didn't bother with 7.1 at all. It was suggested that in ceiling rear speakers could be the answer but it seemed like too much effort.

I eventually changed the M7DS for M&K K4 Tripoles which improved the soundstaging no end as not only were they a better tonal match to my front speakers but they are also far better speakers in their own right.

T

Toekiller

Originally posted by Ian J
I used to have the same as you with M7DS against the side walls and a settee tight against the wall so I didn't bother with 7.1 at all. It was suggested that in ceiling rear speakers could be the answer but it seemed like too much effort.

I eventually changed the M7DS for M&K K4 Tripoles which improved the soundstaging no end as not only were they a better tonal match to my front speakers but they are also far better speakers in their own right.

Where did you place them?

Ian J

Banned
Originally posted by Toekiller
Where did you place them?

My rear speakers are on the side walls at a height of about 7.5 feet and firing across the seating position

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom