another beginner acoustic guitar recommendation

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi all...
as well as looking at electronic drums I'm on the look out for a cheapish half decent guitar...my daughter has been learning for a bit ...hers was over a hundred quid if I remember rightly ....and I've told her I'd give it go too.

don't want to spend too much but would like something half decent for the money
trotted down to my local guitar shop to find it has closed down so looking like online purchase

after a bit of trawling im currently looking at a couple of ones
Fender Squier SA-105 BK - Thomann UK

and
Lindo Apprentice Series Acoustic Guitar with Cutaway/Free Carry Case - Black Gloss: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

all I know so far is I would like a black one!...if I don't get on with it it can go to my daughter or hang on the wall!

leaning towards the cheaper fender...well because it's a fender but like the cut away look of the lindo

as I said cant get to a shop at the mo so not sure on size etc...I'm 6ft average build if its any help!

any advice/recommendations would be most appreciated

cheers

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
never heard of Lindo but i'm sure it would be ok for a beginner as would the fender.
you'll probably get a slightly fuller sound from the fender as there is no cutaway, but if you want to do some acoustic solo work you'll appreciate the cutaway

i don't think you'll struggle with the size of either. they are standard full size by the looks of it.

they are what they are. it won't feel solid. it will feel light and flimsy but with an ok sound. they are normally bright enough sounding these sort of guitars.

if you really want to learn and know it's something you want to do i'd wait and spend a little more.
if you're just not sure and it'll just be a play around then this will be fine. you can mess around on it, give it to your daughter later on etc. (when you get into it and decide to buy a better one :p)

remember to get a wee clip on tuner for the headstock

thanks for the reply...would probably prefer a 'fuller sound' ......will a slight jump up in budget reap rewards?

thinking 150 quid tops

I'm 45 now...remember trying to have a go a couple of times in my teens..when I played drums..didn't have the patience for it then...got a bit more time on my hands these days

cheers

Last edited:
with a little more money you'll prbably get better tuning pegs so stay in tune better
it'll just generally feel a little more solid (or should do! ;))

look at Yamahas, know to be good

i bought an electric when i was younger at school, played with it for two weeks and sold it again, no patience whatsoever

took me nearly ten years to pick up another guitar and learn proper. been playing ever since on and off. so glad i learnt it
i'd like to learn other things , maybe keyboard or make computer music, but of course the other end is theres no time now :facepalm: :p

you may not get your guitar in black btw but i'd avoid the shiny lamanated ones anyway

Yamaha F310 full-size Acoustic Guitar Basic Start Pack (Natural): Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

one to consider; i've never played it but with amazon you can send back if it's not right anyway

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
thanks again....food for thought and all that..amazon link not working though

cheers

yeah looks nice....was having a pluck on my daughters guitar last night....managed to stumble along to the opening bit of creams sunshine of your love !

hers is a admira

I'd never buy a guitar you haven't tried in person or seen, it is worth the effort to travel to a shop and try a few out and if you are thinking of buying from Germany (After you have tried a particular model in person) check your card issuer for charges as some are OK whilst others are not.

There are too many variables to decide sight unseen, sound, quality, finish, strings, hardware....and these are also what need checking when buying and if the guitar is comfortable to play first and foremost, do not rely 100% on www. reviews you really need to get out and try some, if you want a 'fuller sound' then I would avoid ones with a cutaway.

Part of the problem is that there are hundreds of choices but ones to look out for in your budget:

Yamaha FG700S (If you can find one around £150)
Fender CD-60/CD-100
Takamine G220
Cort
Washburn
Tanglewood

And don't be afraid to buy SH and either learn (If you don't already know) to set it up properly or spend £30-£40 at a good Luthier to do it for you, although most of what they do can be done yourself if you are that way inclined.

One of the worse things you will do is rush buy, it may seem like a pain to travel around looking but worth the effort and I wouldn't recommend a particular model just for you as it's impossible as you will be the one playing it and everyone is different.

Good luck!

P.S. On your travels try and source a BOSS Chromatic Tuner one of the best for the money, we've had one for as long as we can remember and it still works as good as the first day we bought it.

thanks for the reply.....did have a look on the bay

...sorta know what you're saying but if you cant play you can only have a look and a hold....seems a bit chicken and egg surely...you wont know how easy it's going to play until you learn to play?

cheers

thanks for the reply.....did have a look on the bay

...sorta know what you're saying but if you cant play you can only have a look and a hold....seems a bit chicken and egg surely...you wont know how easy it's going to play until you learn to play?

cheers

From what you said above about having a go on your daughters then thought you could bash out a couple of chords or why not take your daughter along, having a look and hold is one of the most important parts, apart from the sound of it and you don't need to be able to play as someone else can do that for you, it seems, at first a bit chicken and egg but there are ways around it.

It is a personal choice and it needs to 'fit' you.

My daughter recently was looking for a Les Paul as she liked the look of them and wanted to move up to playing electric, so had it in her mind that's what she wanted, so of we go to have a look around and the first one she tried, "Don't like it"....it wasn't comfortable for her and she didn't like the sound....she then tried a Telecaster...."Don't like it"....it was nice to hold and play but....didn't like the sound....

....Then for a break she tried a Mahogany Fender Electro...."I like the sound of this".....but it wasn't the Electric she had in her mind, so we tried some more and the one she is opting for at the end of 3 weeks looking/trying is an ES-339 Semi Acoustic as it fits her, it's comfortable and it's the sound she is after....sometimes these things aren't as easy as they are on paper.

yeah I see your point

my girl keeps hinting about a semi acoustic

yeah I see your point

my girl keeps hinting about a semi acoustic

A 339 is perfect as it's about the same size as a Les Paul but has that nice sound and doesn't need amplifying all the time, my daughter is 12 and the size is just right for her.

Last edited:
yeah my eldest is 13....which has reminded me of something....when we got her guitar there where 2 shops in town...one told her she need a smaller size one...the other said a a full size one.

she went with the full size one in the end and has been happy with it ever since..
just to confuse things further it proves one theory of trying the guitar in the shop....but also you cant always rely on the advice!

yeah my eldest is 13....which has reminded me of something....when we got her guitar there where 2 shops in town...one told her she need a smaller size one...the other said a a full size one.

she went with the full size one in the end and has been happy with it ever since..
just to confuse things further it proves one theory of trying the guitar in the shop....but also you cant always rely on the advice!

When my daughter first shown an interest in an electric guitar I asked around what might be suitable and the first suggestion was a Pink Hello Kitty one....so yeah some advice needs looking at :), that's why I'd always advise to never buy a guitar without trying it in person.

Hope you get chance to get out and try some, it will be worth the effort, not only that but at first it seemed like a chore going and trying loads but it really is fun and educating, for both of you.

Guitars are a joy to own. You don't have to be a rock god to enjoy yourself, and they're easier to carry than a piano. I'm left handed, but the man who taught me some basics when I was 18 was right handed, and I carried on that way ever since. I still play every day, but I can't sing, unless you want your pub emptied, then and I could sing 5 minutes before closing time for you.

hoping to just plonk along.....if I could eventually knock out 'that's entertainment' i'll die a happy man!

hoping to get a trip out this week and have a look at some

cheers

A great opportunity for your daughter to teach you what she's learnt as it will help reinforce her learning as well.

thanks...should be here tomorrow

have already 'suffered' some of my daughters teaching methods !

If you can get away with it domestically, buy a stand rather than a case. That way it's just so easy to pick it up for a quick blast & put it down again when the fingers are sore.

bought my daughter a wall bracket for a fiver off ebay as she reckons her stand always ends up getting knocked.....might pinch that one off her now I think of it.
....have got a nice spot on the wall where a glossy black guitar might look quite nice

nice bit of wall art if all else fails!

If you can get away with it domestically, buy a stand rather than a case. That way it's just so easy to pick it up for a quick blast & put it down again when the fingers are sore.

Exactly what I told my daughter after she complained that she never played the Hello Kitty electric guitar she bought and was thinking of selling it and buying an Ed Sheerhan acoustic for £400.

Buy a stand, I said, that way you're more likely to pick it up and play it, if it's sat there on display, rather than having to go to the bother if getting it out of the box under her bed every time.

Of course, kids being kids, she totally ignored my advice and bought the Ed Sheeran in October and I don't think it's been out of the case once since she bought it!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom