Another bargain basement dweller

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Melter, Jan 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On top of convincing my other half that we should get an lcd tv to free up floor space (we have a very small lounge) I've upped the anti with an all-in-one home cinema system. Budget is tight so after much reading I think the all-in-one is going to be a sub-£100 Eltax system. This will leave me looking for a 17-inch widescreen maximum of £450 (incl. delivery if online). What are my options?

I have considered the Relisys 1720, seems quite popular for a budget option, but the lack of scart puts me off. Other than that I'm not sure about any others. Thanks.

2. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend the Relisys as a main TV set. I use mine as a second set. If it was my main set, I think the issues with the picture would annoy the hell out of me.

3. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You've loads of options at that size and price (though you'd have to get it off an on-line store). The Toshiba 17WL46B and Philips 17PF9946 seem to be highly regarded in terms of picture quality, though a bit small to be used as the main set.

4. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you've picked out the two I was beginning to home in on and I think it's going to be the Philips 17PF9946 (btw you ain't seen the size of our front room, I'm currently watching tv on a 15" Sony so 17" will be ample). Anyone got advice for the Philips; who to buy from online and who not, settings, etc.

5. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Empire Direct seem to be doing to Philips for £459+P&P, I've used them once before and found them alright. If you're willing to consider the Toshiba, PRC Direct are doing them for just under £400 delivered. No idea about settings, I'm still playing the LCD waiting game ;)

6. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best I've found for the Philips so far is in the mid £420. Anyone able to beat this?